The Dark Knight Favourite Ra's al Ghul in the media

I have to agree with DACrowe in that Arkham Scarecrow is easily the best version of the character.

Well my list for best Ra's Al Ghul
1 DCAU
2 Nolanverse
3 Arkhamverse

I remember reading someone complain about the Arkhamverse Ra's contradicting himself because his original motive was to wipe out most of humanity because he sees it as a cancer to the world, but then when he stabbed Hugo Strange his motives changed to be more of a vigilante terrorist by wiping out crime

David Warner's version. I still have trouble picturing Ra's Al Ghul without that voice. He is one of two major characters I think was done better in the DCAU than the TDKT. The other one is Talia.

Oh yeah, what about Batman? aren't you forgetting the DCAU version of him?

Last edited:
I would say that Nolan/Bale's and Dini/Timm/Conroy's visions of Batman are so different that both perfectly nail what they are going for....

With that said I do prefer the Conroy/TAS Batman. Admittedly though, I prefer the less predictably depressing epilogue to Bruce Wayne's life in TDKR than the final in continuity episode of JLU (set as an epilogue to Batman Beyond, which makes that fun series suddenly very dreary).

For characters, I think the Nolanverse did as well or better:

Scarecrow
Joker (equal and ver different)
Two-Face
Bane
Catwoman
Jim Gordon
Alfred
Lucius Fox

But I prefer TAS' take on

Batman
Ra's Al Ghul
Talia Al Ghul
Robin

For whatever it is worth.

I would say that Nolan/Bale's and Dini/Timm/Conroy's visions of Batman are so different that both perfectly nail what they are going for....

With that said I do prefer the Conroy/TAS Batman. Admittedly though, I prefer the less predictably depressing epilogue to Bruce Wayne's life in TDKR than the final in continuity episode of JLU (set as an epilogue to Batman Beyond, which makes that fun series suddenly very dreary).

For characters, I think the Nolanverse did as well or better:

Scarecrow
Joker (equal and ver different)
Two-Face
Bane
Catwoman
Jim Gordon
Alfred
Lucius Fox

But I prefer TAS' take on

Batman
Ra's Al Ghul
Talia Al Ghul
Robin

For whatever it is worth.

Catwoman? no way

I like the TAS Catwoman, but they never really got past "Almost got him." I'm not talking romance, I mean that she was always more definitely a "bad guy" and after her first three appearances, she was little more than a femme fatale. I like the relationship being more gray in whether she will work with him or not, but by TNAS she was pretty much cleanly a bad guy, and Bruce refers to her as that in Batman Beyond where he's more prone to reminisce about Zatanna, Talia, and even Barbara Gordon over Selina.

I thought her ambiguity and importance to Bruce's life played better in TDKR. Though I prefer the Arkham version to both.

Oh yeah, what about Batman? aren't you forgetting the DCAU version of him?

Nope. I think they were close to a push.

As for Catwoman, the Nolan version is much better. For most of the run of BTAS, pretty much every single appearance by her involves her getting into trouble and having to be rescued by Batman (gets some deadly virus, turned into a cat, captured by Harley Quinn, etc). She was useless until the very end of the original run of BTAS, at which point they finally gave her her claws back but she doesn't do much after that. The Nolan version was better. The Burton version was better. The Arkham version was better. Even the Julie Newmar version might have been better. Which is a real shame because I really liked the performance by Adrienne Barbeau.

Last edited:
I like Arkhamverse Catwoman a lot more than Nolanverse. The look is amazing it's what I see as Catwoman and the story is much better and I think Paul Dini did a great job on that part.

I like Arkhamverse Catwoman a lot more than Nolanverse. The look is amazing it's what I see as Catwoman and the story is much better and I think Paul Dini did a great job on that part.

What you see on Catwoman is also amazing

a240128.jpg

Those are a plus mate. :D

I was talking about the design of catsuit and the story

Nope. I think they were close to a push.

She was useless until the very end of the original run of BTAS, at which point they finally gave her her claws back but she doesn't do much after that. The Nolan version was better. The Burton version was better. The Arkham version was better. Even the Julie Newmar version might have been better. Which is a real shame because I really liked the performance by Adrienne Barbeau.

What specific episode?

The Nolan version was better. The Burton version was better. The Arkham version was better. Even the Julie Newmar version might have been better. Which is a real shame because I really liked the performance by Adrienne Barbeau.

Oh come on, she had the best design of Catwoman by far.
timm03catwoman01or4.jpg

(missing the yellow belt though)
She, along with Tim Burton's one, actually looked Cat-like

I feel that if they had given R'as his signature cape and Lazarus Pit in BB, the film's RaG could have been the definitive one. But, Nolan's penchance for secularizing the material meant there was no way in hell they were going to appear in the films. Thus, my favorite is a tie between it and the Animated series, where the design and performance were perfect, but the scale of the League was missing; it was just R'as, Talia, and Bobo (or whatever the hell the muscle's name was.)

I feel that if they had given R'as his signature cape and Lazarus Pit in BB, the film's RaG could have been the definitive one. But, Nolan's penchance for secularizing the material meant there was no way in hell they were going to appear in the films. Thus, my favorite is a tie between it and the Animated series, where the design and performance were perfect, but the scale of the League was missing; it was just R'as, Talia, and Bobo (or whatever the hell the muscle's name was.)

this^

and Bobo (or whatever the hell the muscle's name was.)

Ubu*

Scarecrow was always something of a joke in the DCAU. Never really cared for that character. They also had trouble keeping him consistent from one appearance to the next.

Coming back to this thread (and after rewatching a few TAS episodes) I strongly disagree. How could you forget "Over the Edge" where he gave Babs the darkest yet most epic dream sequence in the history of dream sequences?! Or "Never Fear", which now that I think about it was eerily similar to Batman Begins with the releasing fear/anti fear gas via runaway train scheme, except he was the one doing it instead of Ra's, which is even more awesome because he's not being controlled by someone else. And as for being "something of a joke", what about Nolan's scarecrow who got owned by Rachel and ran off crying like a baby?! One of Batman's greatest villains - owned by a woman with a taser?! BTAS never had a scene in which Scarecrow was owned so humiliatingly as that scene. And he was useless in TDKR

He was someone the League could keep a leash on. Scarecrow was, thematically, meant to be an anti-climax. That's why he was played up as big and menacing. He did get the jump on Bats, though.

I liked BB Ra's. The vigilante-ninja master angle was more interesting than the eco terrorist of the comics and cartoon.

He was someone the League could keep a leash on. Scarecrow was, thematically, meant to be an anti-climax. That's why he was played up as big and menacing. He did get the jump on Bats, though.

I liked BB Ra's. The vigilante-ninja master angle was more interesting than the eco terrorist of the comics and cartoon.

He was somewhat like his comic counterpart in that he still saw humanity was so corrupt that only extreme force and extermination was the answer. Having said that I think his comic/cartoon counterpart's motives were clearer; he wanted to save the planet rather than being a humanity's check and balance for corruption

Last edited:
That take on Ra's might work well with Poison Ivy. They should work with that angle if they decide to adapt Ra's in the upcoming Batman film series. I really love what Nolan did, but I'd hate for Ra's, and any of the characters, in the new films to be virtually identical to what's come before.

That take on Ra's might work well with Poison Ivy. They should work with that angle if they decide to adapt Ra's in the upcoming Batman film series. I really love what Nolan did, but I'd hate for Ra's, and any of the characters, in the new films to be virtually identical to what's come before.

Why?? it's best for the characters to be what we've always known them for. Did you like the throat-cancer voiced Batman that let's his enemies die in trains?

Yes. I liked that Bruce was a fallible Iindividual who made s very human decision. But you may have misunderstood me. I don't want to see Nolan's stuff recycled for the next film series.

Coming back to this thread (and after rewatching a few TAS episodes) I strongly disagree. How could you forget "Over the Edge" where he gave Babs the darkest yet most epic dream sequence in the history of dream sequences?! Or "Never Fear", which now that I think about it was eerily similar to Batman Begins with the releasing fear/anti fear gas via runaway train scheme, except he was the one doing it instead of Ra's, which is even more awesome because he's not being controlled by someone else. And as for being "something of a joke", what about Nolan's scarecrow who got owned by Rachel and ran off crying like a baby?! One of Batman's greatest villains - owned by a woman with a taser?! BTAS never had a scene in which Scarecrow was owned so humiliatingly as that scene. And he was useless in TDKR

He was really good in Over the Edge. I do admit that.

However, there were also episodes like Lock-Up where he is turned into an ineffectual joke villain lumped in with the likes of Harley Quinn and The Ventriloquist and is scared to death of a prison guard.

He was really good in Over the Edge. I do admit that.

However, there were also episodes like Lock-Up where he is turned into an ineffectual joke villain lumped in with the likes of Harley Quinn and The Ventriloquist and is scared to death of a prison guard.

I had a feeling you would bring that moment up :csad: but was is it as bad as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ms_8_14Puw

Personally, yes. It doesn't matter how tough you are, getting tased in the face will do some serious damage. I didn't have much issue with Scarecrow in Batman Begins.

In the sequels, yeah, he became more of a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"