The Dark Knight Rises Fear. Chaos. Pain. Vote for your favorite Nolan Batfilm!

It's most recognized movie in trilogy. But Fistful of Dollars & A Few Dollars More are as good as The Good,The Bad & The Ugly for many western fans. Like there are people who prefers BB over TDK including Wally Pfister.

"Well maybe you don't mean to give offense Sir, but you are giving it pretty thick" - [points if you know where that one's from]

not to derail the thread, but though I absolutely love both Fist & Few, and though I used to quote from both of those with uncanny regularity, [especially the horse scene], and though I've obsessed over all 3 DVDs, over time.....

the one I wear out with regularity.....

but fair enough, to each his own.

"..and I agree with you about the Cab Franc"

Fair enough, BatManFan.

We will see what time and distance reveal.

But keep this in mind: for some of us, Nolan movies tend to get even BETTER with repeat viewings...all the details are absorbed and the stories come into an even higher degree of focus.

(This was already happening for me after my second TDKR viewing. "Holes" patch-up as I register the finer nuts and bolts of the story, for example. The same was true for me after TDK and BB).

I realize you have already been a dozen times, (lucky you!). So I think it is safe to say you are in the BB camp. No crime there or any where in this thread. All three are wonderful movies.

And you, Good Sir, are a gentleman! I just saw memento for the first time this weekend and even as the credits were rolling I was like..."OMG", I can't wait to see it again.. I know I'll pick up on so much that I overlooked.

Good point, like Inception & The Prestige, [and Begins of course] His movies seem to get better & better with each viewing.

"Well maybe you don't mean to give offense Sir, but you are giving it pretty thick" - [points if you know where that one's from]

not to derail the thread, but though I absolutely love both Fist & Few, and though I used to quote from both of those with uncanny regularity, [especially the horse scene], and though I've obsessed over all 3 DVDs, over time.....

the one I wear out with regularity.....

but fair enough, to each his own.

"..and I agree with you about the Cab Franc"

"Pheasants? Let's shoot some pheasants. Ten shots. And let's say, uh, a dollar a pheasant. I'll shoot for the Queen, and you for . . well, whomever."

:woot:

In terms of character, sure, you can say was just okay. But in terms of acting, he was amazing. He disappeared into the role and changed every little detail about himself for the role. It was a complete transformation.

I can't deny he did a truly amazing performance! But so did Christian Bale and Tom Hardy. It's true that the Joker is a unique character that we all love but so is Batman. I feel that Bale's performance is not only equal but even better than Heath's, but when it comes to TDK all seem to praise mostly Heath.

Maybe we should wait some more time to judge, people only start to see what the movies trully are like after some months, i still remember the bunch of exagerated positive reaction both Thor and Captain America received when they were first released, i even remember a thread of a guy and other saying Captain America was better than The Dark Knight

I feel the same way about TDK. You're not the only one, mate. I am also not that fond of Heath's Joker. He was okay, but definitely not that great IMO.
People say that TDKR had a lot of flaws, but actually I feel the same way for TDK with the difference that TDK was not nearly as emotionally inspiring as TDKR is. TDK has a severe lack of characters besides the Joker. Still a great movie though.

It's funny how some fans try to trash TDKR's winning in this poll with comments like "Well it's the newest movie, fans are still hyped, they can't make a clear decision yet."
Sometimes it really feels that those people just didn't want to like TDKR so they don't offend TDK's superiority.
After all we are all Batman fans here, and we all love the trilogy. Everybody loves those movie for different reasons and that's what so great about them. There is just so much that you can love. Saying that your favourite one is the definitive best and that people who do not share your opinion are for some reason not understanding is just you being an *******.

I voted for TDK but i agree everything you said. (Except Heath's Joker) Some posters act like TDKR is crap and everybody is bandwagoning because it's end of trilogy.

This is not some Spiderman 3 or Godfather 3... TDKR got great reviews,ratings both critics & audience just like previous movies.

BB was well beloved too. It didn't get the enough attention because it was after B&R ruins. But ratings,reviews and DVD sales tell the truth.

It's like The Godfather & The Godfather II. The one with Marlon Brando is always remembered but 2nd part was as good as first one if not better for some.

Baneis8feettall, well the thing I said about Heath is as I stated a matter of personal taste. Although I don't find his performance the best one ever done, I can still recognize when someone has done something extraordinary good.
As I said in the post above, Heath's performance is as good as Tom Hardy's. However, to me Christian Bale surpasses them both because this is his story and he just nails it perfectly.

I didn't think Fistful of Dollars was all that memorable.

TGTBATU on the other hand, is like probably the third best movie ever made.

Last edited:
All three Dollars films are great but TGTBATU definitely stands out. Who DOESN'T recognize Ennio Morricone's music?

I only liked "The Dark Knight" because it was another Batman vs. The Joker scenario and everyone loves when those flip opposites meet face to face. That's the reason I think people think its the best Batman movie ever made.

I will have to go with "The Dark Knight Rises In The East And Sets In The West" though. Classic Batman references to Knightfall, No Man's Land, and The Dark Knight Returns

The Dark Knight is the best of the trilogy for me. It has the best story. It was a fantastic sequel to Batman Begins while being it's own film. The Joker was brilliantly re-interpreted and well done by Heath Ledger. Harvey Dent's character arc was compelling and the way it ended made Batman an even bigger hero. And it's as much of a "Batman film" as the other two in the trilogy, so I absolutely disagree with people who say otherwise.

Batman Begins was the best superhero origin movie since Superman: The Movie. Enough said.

The Dark Knight Rises had some awesome moments, but I don't think it was as good as The Dark Knight, and I am not even sure it's as good as Batman Begins either. The script is a little too bloated and scenes/moments/characters don't get the development they deserve because of it. I also wish they left out the League of Shadows stuff and gave Bane his own motivation for wanting to destroy Gotham that had nothing to do with "realizing Ra's Al Ghul's destiny".

Where did I say otherwise? I guess it's the truth as I see it, perhaps.

Truth as you see it = opinion. :lmao:

The name has everything to do with it. Hype consumes some people, that even if a film didn't meet lofty expectations, they will themselves to like it more than it possibly deserves as to not be personally let down.

I'm not diminishing anything, their opinion still stands. I'm just making an astute observation of the populace on here. I've just noticed in my viewings and reading here, it tends to be the case more often than not.

I remember reading reviews on here after Iron Man 2 came out swearing up and down it was far superior to the original. Meanwhile back at the Sizzler, the director and star actor both felt like "con men" for hyping up something they didn't feel was worth it.

I say re-approach this thread in 6 - 8 months. After all BEGINS has been out for 7 years, The Dark Knight for 4 years. Time is the better judge of something like this than reviews and feelings less than an entire calander month from release.

Thus, the "prisoner of the moment" comment.

You're making a lot of assumptions there my friend.

I don't know anything about how Iron Man 2 was reviewed here, but I can tell you that I knew it wasn't superior to the original the second I walked out of theater. It was good, not great. Hopefully Iron Man 3 will make up for it.

I will also tell you that I've seen TDKR four times and it's still a great film. It will be a great film in 10 month and even in 10 years down the road. I know this balls to bones. Do I have issues with a couple of things? Yes, but I have a couple of problems with each film and I don't allow that to poison the well for the whole trilogy. I can't say the same thing for many of the people I've talked to.

Where did I say that in this thread or elsewhere?

You could have fooled me bro.

Again, you missed the point. That was a joke. Notice the :woot:?

I will also tell you that I've seen TDKR four times and it's still a great film. It will be a great film in 10 month and even in 10 years down the road. I know this balls to bones. Do I have issues with a couple of things? Yes, but I have a couple of problems with each film and I don't allow that to poison the well for the whole trilogy. I can't say the same thing for many of the people I've talked to.

Having just seen it for the fourth time last night, this is exactly how I feel.

:highfive:

This poll is not really fair. It's like your home team winning the championship for the third time and asking which winning game was the best. Of course most people aren't going to say "Eh, the one from 3 years ago was better." That is considering you weren't let down (or willing to admit) you were let down by TDKR. In other words, those who love all 3 films I think are mostly likely going to choose TDKR as the best right now. Because it's still the freshest and most exciting in their mind.

From what I've seen through internet and word of mouth, TDKR was dissapointing to a-lot of people. What I remember of TDK was that if you didn't like it you were in a small minority. That's just not the case with TDKR. I realize it had a-lot to live up to but I can easily say I was let down by it. I'll buy the DVD and enjoy the trilogy as a whole but TDK is the peak of the Nolan trilogy to me.

And you'd be wrong. :o

The way I see it is this.

Reaction 1: It was amazing! Wasn't it? Mind blown?
Reaction 2: Screw the critics and haters, they just don't understand the deeper themes of the film.
Reaction 3: You have to see it MULTIPLE times and THEN it gets better!

That's how I feel about a lot of Nolan's films, TDK included.

Look, I love Nolan and all his films but TDKR was a dissapointment to me. I never needed to watch "Insomnia" or "Memento" more than once to know I loved them. Why should TDKR be any different. I know that I may be more accepting of some of the film's flaws if I keep watching it but that doesen't mean the flaws were never there.

From what I've seen through internet and word of mouth, TDKR was dissapointing to a-lot of people.

Strange I have seen the exact opposite to be honest but if you think otherwise thats cool:up:

Strange I have seen the exact opposite to be honest but if you think otherwise thats cool:up:

The thing is I really wanted to love it. I wanted that amazing ending, the satisfying climax and it just didn't happen for me. Everything that I was looking forward to fell flat for me. My reaction to nearly everything in the movie was "oh that could've been done better." With TDK it was the complete opposite. I was going "Oh wow, that's even better than I imagined." I'm not saying it to burst people's bubbles. It actually sucks for me that it was a let down but oh well, life goes on.

Oh good, we have another "I didnt like it so everyone else in the world shouldn't like it either!"

Narcism is so much fun. :o

Look, I love Nolan and all his films but TDKR was a dissapointment to me. I never needed to watch "Insomnia" or "Memento" more than once to know I loved them. Why should TDKR be any different. I know that I may be more accepting of some of the film's flaws if I keep watching it but that doesen't mean the flaws were never there.

I'm not trying to change your opinion. Just saying, my appreciation for Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige, TDK, Inception grew with multiple viewings and the same has happened with me for TDKR. It's not about excusing flaws, it's about gaining a deeper appreciation for the strengths.

All I'm trying to point out is that people who say "it gets better with multiple viewings" aren't necessarily making excuses for the film or are in denial. It's a very real thing that I've experienced and a lot of other people have too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"