Feige on Fox/Disney Deal

When it comes to Marvel movies specifically and how to handle them going forward, I hope they leave that decision primarily to Feige and allow him to create a plan that fits what he wants to do with the characters.

In other words, I hope it's driven by the creative side and based on how the MCU should look 20 years from now rather than being driven by marketing people.

One of the first things Iger confirmed was that the X-Men would join the MCU. So Feige more than likely will have complete control over all Marvel properties. We already know per inside sources from THR that he's excited to dive into the X-Men universe.

As for Fox Searchlight, Didn't Iger already confirm it would remain intact and be used for mature films?

When it comes to Marvel movies specifically and how to handle them going forward, I hope they leave that decision primarily to Feige and allow him to create a plan that fits what he wants to do with the characters.

In other words, I hope it's driven by the creative side and based on how the MCU should look 20 years from now rather than being driven by marketing people.

https://twitter.com/jenyamato/status/958428349658931200

Marvel Studios is pretty much just Feige and a couple of buddies. They will be fine as long as Iger and Horn leave them alone.

One of the first things Iger confirmed was that the X-Men would join the MCU. So Feige more than likely will have complete control over all Marvel properties. We already know per inside sources from THR that he's excited to dive into the X-Men universe.

As for Fox Searchlight, Didn't Iger already confirm it would remain intact and be used for mature films?

Yes was very glad to hear those words come out of this mouth. I'm sure Feige will have control over X-Men and F4 too. And yes, no need to dump Searchlight as they are putting out good work.

Marvel Studios is pretty much just Feige and a couple of buddies. They will be fine as long as Iger and Horn leave them alone.

If Black Panther is as good as initial reports suggest... wow! It's hard to argue with that kind of success (particularly when we see Fox, DC and Sony trying to do similar things and failing miserably - so it's not just a matter of "make a superhero film and you've got a guaranteed blockbuster").

Marvel just keeps bringing in different characters and different directors but consistently creating films that please fans, critics and general audiences.

If I were Disney Management, I'd be giving "Feige and his buddies" anything they wanted.

"You want Yoo-Hoo® drinking fountains in your office? Will Tuesday be soon enough?"

The top executives at Fox didn't know about it until it was released in the press too. This deal was done by the top guys at both companies along with their CFOs and lawyers. I've been a part of mergers, it is so secretive for legal reasons.

This is a very important point. Feige doesn't have a seat at the table. Really he's just the head of a department, one of many, in a company that's owned by a larger corporation. In comparison to the entirety of of the Disney empire he's a relatively small figure. And so is the rights reversions, it's such a small detail in the scope of this whole thing that none of the top guys who made the deal was remotely concerned about it. Neither of them cared about the MCU continuity and has basically been a footnote in most business news about it and the only real comments we got are a few passing sentences after direct questions. I cannot stress how big and complicated a deal like this can be and how insignificant X-Men and F4 film rights are compared to it. It's not a priority in the grand scheme. I mean this deal is so huge the US government has to step in to approve it.

Once the deal is certain to pass federal regulations and the structure and role of 21st Century Fox is clear then they can have discussions about the future of X-men and Fantastic Four. A few people on this threat suggest a movie won't happen until 2022 and that sounds about right given what we know about the next steps of the deal. Though it might be sooner if Marvel and Fox agree to co-produce the films. That way they can add new films to the current slate without having to wait for current productions to wrap up.

I think it's possible that by San Diego Comic Con we'll have some kind of announcement. Like a "Yes they will officially be in the MCU" maybe an early release date that would probably change later. If not we'll get a comment like "We've been having those talks but nothing is official yet." I'm really hoping at Hall H we'll get a "Oh by the way..." and then show the logo with the date. I'd love to see that audience reaction.

If Kevin Feige had pronounced his surname as Phage instead of Fie-gee, then they could've renamed the next few Marvel movies after 2019 as Feige 4.

If Black Panther is as good as initial reports suggest... wow! It's hard to argue with that kind of success (particularly when we see Fox, DC and Sony trying to do similar things and failing miserably - so it's not just a matter of "make a superhero film and you've got a guaranteed blockbuster").

Marvel just keeps bringing in different characters and different directors but consistently creating films that please fans, critics and general audiences.

If I were Disney Management, I'd be giving "Feige and his buddies" anything they wanted.

"You want Yoo-Hoo® drinking fountains in your office? Will Tuesday be soon enough?"

They started safe but the success continued with properties varying form Guardians and Ant Man to Strange and hopefully this continues with BP & CM.

That may be a big reason why Marvel are as consistent as they are. It's a lot smaller than other studios that make other movies besides superhero flicks. Marvel Studios is it's own independent operation(even though they're owned by Disney) and that allows them to put all their creative juices on a specific concentration of movies.

I wonder if DC had never been bought by Warners and like Marvel decided to make their own movie studio but actually appointed Geoff Johns( as the actual president, not just the adviser) would DC be in much better shape than they are now?

Last edited:
They started safe but the success continued with properties varying form Guardians and Ant Man to Strange and hopefully this continues with BP & CM.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk and The Avengers were anything BUT safe at those points, IMO.

That may be a big reason why Marvel are as consistent as they are. It's a lot smaller than other studios that make other movies besides superhero flicks. Marvel Studios is it's own independent operation(even though they're owned by Disney) and that allows them to put all their creative juices on a specific concentration of movies.

I wonder if DC had never been bought by Warners and like Marvel decided to make their own movie studio but actually appointed Geoff Johns( as the actual president, not just the adviser) would DC be in much better shape than they are now?

Not unless Johns went the Feige wrote and was trained as an actual movie producer. People underestimate this aspect of Feige. That he is an experienced movie producer first and a comic fan and a nerd next.

This is a very important point. Feige doesn't have a seat at the table. Really he's just the head of a department, one of many, in a company that's owned by a larger corporation. In comparison to the entirety of of the Disney empire he's a relatively small figure. And so is the rights reversions, it's such a small detail in the scope of this whole thing that none of the top guys who made the deal was remotely concerned about it. Neither of them cared about the MCU continuity and has basically been a footnote in most business news about it and the only real comments we got are a few passing sentences after direct questions. I cannot stress how big and complicated a deal like this can be and how insignificant X-Men and F4 film rights are compared to it. It's not a priority in the grand scheme. I mean this deal is so huge the US government has to step in to approve it.

Yeah, other folks have posted about how insignificant rights reversion in the grand scheme of things. Then you look at the Walt Disney Company announcement press release and see that X-Men is the first acquisition property named, ahead of FX Networks, the Simpsons, Sky and Hulu. And the X-Men get a second mention a paragraph below alongside their pals the FF and Mr. Pool. You then realize that content for Disney's multiple streaming efforts are the major reason for the transaction and reversion of Marvel rights is a big frikkin' deal.

Yeah, other folks have posted about how insignificant rights reversion in the grand scheme of things. Then you look at the Walt Disney Company announcement press release and see that X-Men is the first acquisition property named, ahead of FX Networks, the Simpsons, Sky and Hulu. And the X-Men get a second mention a paragraph below alongside their pals the FF and Mr. Pool. You then realize that content for Disney's multiple streaming efforts are the major reason for the transaction and reversion of Marvel rights is a big frikkin' deal.

I would consider it more of an icing on the cake than a must have for Disney. We know that they wanted the international channels, sports, and the TV studio because that affects the bottom line more than having the X-Men, FF4, and Deadpool. Marvel Studios will make money regardless if they had those properties or not. Creatively its a plus.

Not unless Johns went the Feige wrote and was trained as an actual movie producer. People underestimate this aspect of Feige. That he is an experienced movie producer first and a comic fan and a nerd next.

He may not have the same producing credits that Feige has but the dude started off in film before he ever worked in comics. Both Feige and Johns both interned for the Donnors roughly around the same time in the late 90s. So while he may not be as experienced as Feige, he's no stranger to the film world.

I would consider it more of an icing on the cake than a must have for Disney. We know that they wanted the international channels, sports, and the TV studio because that affects the bottom line more than having the X-Men, FF4, and Deadpool. Marvel Studios will make money regardless if they had those properties or not. Creatively its a plus.

I have to think adding thousands of popular characters to a $13.5B franchise or franchises that's the highest grossing in film history was a generous slice of the cake rather than just the creamy topping. Feige's creation was facing a bit of a crossroads post Infinity War with many popular characters moving on and competition from FOX and the DCEU. Those problems have been solved.

That's not to say the RSNs, Sky and Star components of the deal weren't important in the Mouse's efforts to solve the ESPN problem and beef up the company's international profile. But for a content company like Disney gaining more content was a key aspect of the deal. And that is reflected in the press release.

I'm really not expecting much for a long time tbh.

Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk and The Avengers were anything BUT safe at those points, IMO.

I mean safe relative to opening with a Guardians. Even a Superman film wouldn’t be safe now, and no new hero can be sure of doing well. Thor was the riskier one but they didn’t go all out unlike Ragnarok and threw in a lot of Earth scenes, human characters and human comedy to lessen the perceived risk. When it came to Strange there was no longer a need for magic is just science we haven’t seen yet any more.

I mean safe relative to opening with a Guardians. Even a Superman film wouldn’t be safe now, and no new hero can be sure of doing well. Thor was the riskier one but they didn’t go all out unlike Ragnarok and threw in a lot of Earth scenes, human characters and human comedy to lessen the perceived risk. When it came to Strange there was no longer a need for magic is just science we haven’t seen yet any more.

In some ways, it would have been great to have FF be the first ones to introduce some of the wilder elements of the MCU.

But it's also nice that when they arrive, they'll be in world in which it's already been established that there are aliens, other dimensions etc. so they should be able to hit the ground running.

In some ways, it would have been great to have FF be the first ones to introduce some of the wilder elements of the MCU.

But it's also nice that when they arrive, they'll be in world in which it's already been established that there are aliens, other dimensions etc. so they should be able to hit the ground running.

I'm curious given their status as "the first family" in the comics would it be a bit odd that they've arrived after all the other characters have been around?
They won't be the first family anymore they would be the "The Last Family." Unless they arrive via time travel from the 60's.

Yeah there will be few limits on F4 when we do finally get an F4 film. They’ll have to market it differently to the previous ones so the audience know that this one is not more of the same tripe.

I'm curious given their status as "the first family" in the comics would it be a bit odd that they've arrived after all the other characters have been around?
They won't be the first family anymore they would be the "The Last Family." Unless they arrive via time travel from the 60's.

They could be billed as the First Family To Come Last. :o

That way they would still be first at something.

Or they just don't need to call them as the first family.

Besides, the ga won't get the coin phrase especially Reed isn't the president.
If Kevin Feige had pronounced his surname as Phage instead of Fie-gee, then they could've renamed the next few Marvel movies after 2019 as Feige 4.

Why would they do that. It sounds ridiculous to me.

I would love time travel from the 60's. That would be a pretty awesome dynamic.

I'm glad that Feige has talked candidly about the deal between Disney and Fox, and although MCU was not the reason for the deal, it will affect Marvel Studios profoundly. It will really change how the MCU will move forward in Phase 4 and beyond once they get the rights back, and as a Marvel fan it excites me to no end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"