Female Superheores On Screen

I think in general that Disney will have better luck getting a female solo franchise off the ground than Fox. Characters like She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Black Widow, Elektra, and Ms. Marvel are mainly solo heroes.

Fox is very limited with most of their female characters being primarily used as part an ensemble. I really don't see much potential in most of the X-Women. Mystique is probably their best bet (she had a good solo series for awhile), and then characters like X-23, Domino, Dazzler, etc. But overall I would definitely say Disney has more potential with their lineup.

Black Widow, Spider-Woman, Elektra, and Captain Marvel definitely. I'm not sure about She-Hulk, but it maybe could work.

Monica Rambeau, honestly, would make for the best film character, her powers and personality sing. I personally would want Naomie Harris, but hey, potato, pot-ah-to. Rosario Dawson would also rock it.

I think the best place to introduce her would be to give her her own Marvel One-Shot, similar to Agent Carter. Maybe introduce the actress non-powered in a cameo bit, and then have her gain and use her powers in the One Shot. Her origin story in Amazing Spider-Man works very well as a One Shot, ties in with Roxxon Oil and everything.

It's definitely a story that I'd like to see on screen. I wouldn't be against Naomie at all, but I think I'd prefer a slightly younger actress...late 20s/early 30s. A One-Shot would be great...either preceded or followed up by an appearance on Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D....leading to a role as a supporting character in an MCU film. I'd love for the character to have her own film, but we all know that isn't happening. Not unless Marvel Studios expands on the One Shot concept and starts to develop full-length/smaller budget direct-to-dvd films. And even then, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think that's the best we can hope for, a One-Shot, an AoS appearance and then a supporting role in the MCU, probably in another hero's film, then Avengers. It's a long road, but I'd love to walk it. She's an awesome character. A little weak on the supporting cast, though. It'd be interesting if you brought in her superhero buddies as non powered supporting cast. Perhaps have the available Marvel Divas, Angelica Jones (Firestar) and Patsy Walker (Hellcat) as her besties, and Jericho Drumm as her on-and-off guy. Give her Rick Jones as a stand in for Peter Parker so to speak.

After a little research, she does have a pretty hefty named cast for her origin, partner int he Harbor Patrol John Audain, family friend in need of help with uber tech, Professor Andre LeClare, an evil dictator and doctor misusing the tech, Ernesto Ramirez and Felipe Picardo, but those villains aren't really all that personal. Come to think of it, she doesn't have any super powered personal villains, that's the real challenge... that is, in the dream world where Spectrum would be getting a film.

My top pick for Monica is Kerry Washington. While she would make a fantastic character in the MCU, I think the reason she's not in the MCU yet is because I don't think Marvel knows what her Superhero name is going to be since she's had a thousand of them.

On AOS, there are two Black actresses, Pascale Armand and Ruth Negga appearing in the next two episodes. They won't be playing Monica as I believe Marvel is saving her for a big name.

I chose Kerry because she is on ABC with Scandal and she's a big name. Rosario Dawson is a nice fit as well, but is she willing to do TV right now? Having said that though, Rosario is a big comic book fan and I think she's on their radar as there were rumors that she was a candidate to play Gamora.

I think the next Marvel One Shot will be related to an already existing MCU property.

I think that's the best we can hope for, a One-Shot, an AoS appearance and then a supporting role in the MCU, probably in another hero's film, then Avengers. It's a long road, but I'd love to walk it. She's an awesome character. A little weak on the supporting cast, though. It'd be interesting if you brought in her superhero buddies as non powered supporting cast. Perhaps have the available Marvel Divas, Angelica Jones (Firestar) and Patsy Walker (Hellcat) as her besties, and Jericho Drumm as her on-and-off guy. Give her Rick Jones as a stand in for Peter Parker so to speak.

After a little research, she does have a pretty hefty named cast for her origin, partner int he Harbor Patrol John Audain, family friend in need of help with uber tech, Professor Andre LeClare, an evil dictator and doctor misusing the tech, Ernesto Ramirez and Felipe Picardo, but those villains aren't really all that personal. Come to think of it, she doesn't have any super powered personal villains, that's the real challenge... that is, in the dream world where Spectrum would be getting a film.

Does Marvel have the film rights to Firestar? I know she debuted in Uncanny X-Men, and of course was a former member in the Spider-man & His Amazing Friends cartoon. Also, apparently Marvel has plans to make her a significant part of the X-Men going forward.

If they make the next Marvel One Shot female oriented yet again, I don't think it'll be to introduce Monica, but instead focus on Black Widow or Sif.

My top pick for Monica is Kerry Washington. While she would make a fantastic character in the MCU, I think the reason she's not in the MCU yet is because I don't think Marvel knows what her Superhero name is going to be since she's had a thousand of them.

On AOS, there are two Black actresses, Pascale Armand and Ruth Negga appearing in the next two episodes. They won't be playing Monica as I believe Marvel is saving her for a big name.

I chose Kerry because she is on ABC with Scandal and she's a big name. Rosario Dawson is a nice fit as well, but is she willing to do TV right now? Having said that though, Rosario is a big comic book fan and I think she's on their radar as there were rumors that she was a candidate to play Gamora.

I think the next Marvel One Shot will be related to an already existing MCU property.

I'm a big Kerry Washington fan...I think she's a tremendous actress, who I've loved in every role I've seen her play. Also, Scandal is one of my guilty pleasures. I just don't see her as a superhero, but like DrCosmic's suggestion of Naomie Harris, I wouldn't be opposed to her casting. Still, also like Naomie Harris, I would prefer someone slightly younger.

I will say, however, that Kerry is the one current actress that I could see them taking a chance on for a Monica Rambeau solo film, given her current popularity.

(I think Kerry's going to be the female Idris Elba. Just as everybody suggests Idris for every Black male role, Kerry will be suggested for every Black female role...lol.)

Does Marvel have the film rights to Firestar? I know she debuted in Uncanny X-Men, and of course was a former member in the Spider-man & His Amazing Friends cartoon. Also, apparently Marvel has plans to make her a significant part of the X-Men going forward.

I believe they do. They seem to have the rights to all the other non-X-Men mutants like Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Molly Hayes and Klara Prast from Runaways. It would be odd for Marvel to retain Avengers like QS and SW without also retaining the other Avengers just like them: Firestar and Justice.

Of course, as they are mutants, it's likely that Fox has the rights to them as well. I don't believe the current Amazing X-Men team was planned back in the 90s when the rights were purchased.

I always wondered/secretly hoped they have the rights to put Beast in the Avengers.Of course,there are plenty others equally deserving of a spot,but eventually it'd be cool to see Beast.

I don't believe the current Amazing X-Men team was planned back in the 90s when the rights were purchased.

lol...certainly not, although I would hope that Fox was bright enough to negotiate a deal that included all future X-Men-related characters.

You're probably right, though...it's most likely a case similar to Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in which the rights are shared.

Marvel needs to start giving some of their obscure female characters the GOTG treatment, in the comics. Looking over this thread it's shocking how few options we can come up with... If they can make Rocket and Groot be relevant and actually gain popularity, after their almost forgotten and unimportant beginnings, then why can't they do it with female characters like, Silhouette, or Sabra, for example?
What do you guys think? Any obscure characters that could have some potential if revamped?

I think in general that Disney will have better luck getting a female solo franchise off the ground than Fox. Characters like She-Hulk, Spider-Woman, Black Widow, Elektra, and Ms. Marvel are mainly solo heroes.

Fox is very limited with most of their female characters being primarily used as part an ensemble. I really don't see much potential in most of the X-Women. Mystique is probably their best bet (she had a good solo series for awhile), and then characters like X-23, Domino, Dazzler, etc. But overall I would definitely say Disney has more potential with their lineup.

Dazzler has been a solo heroine and had her own title. It's a shame that Disney don't own her. They could've actually made "Dazzler the movie" for which her character was originally created. It could've even been a musical (again, as originally intended) in the vein of High School Musical or other Disney Channel original movies. That would've been one way to broaden the superhero genre beyond the standard action movie but also incorporating the musical genre and could also have been very popular, pulling in all the HSM and Disney Channel fans.

Disney could've gotten Bridgit Mendler for the part:

936full-bridgit-mendler.jpg

large.jpg

3107142943_1_3_TFsVfBqc.jpg

Apart from looking like the original version of Alison Blaire as created in the 70s in the Disco Dazzler roller skating costume, she's also a Disney actress and an accomplished singer as well.

But of course, since Marvel went and made her a mutant in the first place and then, when the planned Dazzler movie failed to take off, tied her to the X-Men, so now she's stuck at Fox.

Marvel Studios was talking Dazzler a while ago, I believe they still have the rights (as intended). MovieWeb: Marvel Studios - Dazzler and Dr. Strange circa 2010

Marvel needs to start giving some of their obscure female characters the GOTG treatment, in the comics. Looking over this thread it's shocking how few options we can come up with... If they can make Rocket and Groot be relevant and actually gain popularity, after their almost forgotten and unimportant beginnings, then why can't they do it with female characters like, Silhouette, or Sabra, for example?
What do you guys think? Any obscure characters that could have some potential if revamped?

MS already is giving female heroines the same treatment as Groot and Rocket Racooon have received. The GOTG treatment goes back to pulling out characters that are dramatically unique in and of themselves, and not just different because they're female.

On both comments, Dazzler as an action-musical would definitely be radically different from anything, like, ever. That would pwn. A new Disney princess in the Marvel vein. That would be outstanding, I'd think, that would be someone they could give the GOTG treatment, so to speak. Someone who had an ill-fated solo comic, but retain a small but loyal following because the idea is inherently great and original. Making a solo film for Silhouette would be like making a solo film for Groot. Not a good idea, honestly.

For Dazzler, you'd have to almost totally make up her supporting cast, but I think she would be the best option, as far as originality is concerned. I'd go see that movie. Because her powers are sound based her songs and her action scenes would be somewhat interchangeable. That'd be kinda awesome.

If you want Silhouette in the MCU, she would have to appear in a Night Thrasher project. There have been no indications that Night Thrasher is even in the works.

I'm not saying I want a Silhouette movie per se, I just threw out a couple of examples of obscure female characters that could benefit from more limelight.
I'm sure there's more that could probably translate well to live action.

Marvel Studios was talking Dazzler a while ago, I believe they still have the rights (as intended). MovieWeb: Marvel Studios - Dazzler and Dr. Strange circa 2010

MS already is giving female heroines the same treatment as Groot and Rocket Racooon have received. The GOTG treatment goes back to pulling out characters that are dramatically unique in and of themselves, and not just different because they're female.

On both comments, Dazzler as an action-musical would definitely be radically different from anything, like, ever. That would pwn. A new Disney princess in the Marvel vein. That would be outstanding, I'd think, that would be someone they could give the GOTG treatment, so to speak. Someone who had an ill-fated solo comic, but retain a small but loyal following because the idea is inherently great and original. Making a solo film for Silhouette would be like making a solo film for Groot. Not a good idea, honestly.

For Dazzler, you'd have to almost totally make up her supporting cast, but I think she would be the best option, as far as originality is concerned. I'd go see that movie. Because her powers are sound based her songs and her action scenes would be somewhat interchangeable. That'd be kinda awesome.

If Dazzler still is at Marvel Studios, then that would be awesome. I think they would probably not be able to make her a mutant, but then I think that's a small thing to overcome and overlook. I don't remember if Marvel made her a mutant in the first place or only after her original movie failed to take off and they absorbed her into the X-Men universe.

You could probably find some supporting cast from her original comic series though. I don't think it was all about the X-Men back then.

And I think it has the potential to be a huge movie. Just think about High School Musical. The first two movies weren't even theatrical releases but Disney Channel original movies, and yet they were huge. Making a Dazzler movie with great songs and a good plot mixed with some action, romance and comedy would appeal to an even broader audience than just a normal superhero movie. It also would completely fit in with what Disney normally does and just would make good business sense.

I guess they would have to update her to roller blades now instead of roller skates, unless they want to go retro and make them cool again. Skates are still cool, but just aren't as fast as blades.

And since she'd be performing several numbers, she could easily wear several costumes and have them comic accurate instead of having to tone it down.

If Disney do own her, then I think Bridgit Mendler is their girl... unless they go for someone like Ashley Tisdale, who would attract all the HSM fans. Both would be great, but I personally prefer Bridgit for the part.

Dazzler could easily have many characters as supporting cast, assuming there are no legal roadblocks:
Lila Chenney
Longshot
Spiral
Mojo

Well I just read that article about Dazzler as one of the suggested films by Marvel Studios.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Dazzler is with Marvel:

Finally, we wanted to confirm the Marvel characters that the studio is looking at bringing to the big screen. In the earlier story one of the characters mentioned was Dazzler, a '70s disco-era character that can turn sound into light and was a member of the X-Men. Since the X-Men and all their characters are owned by 20th Century Fox we wanted to find out how Marvel Studios was planning on making a film based on that character?

"That's Fox. Yeah, I didn't see that (in the article). That's not us, unless Fox is doing it," answered Fiege.

We told Fiege about the other characters mentioned in the article including Power Pack, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange and Ka-Zar, to get his conformation if Marvel Studios is actually considering those characters as well for future films?

"All that is right except Dazzler," Fiege confirmed.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/exclus...er-discussed-in-marvels-new-future-film-plans

:(

So it does seem Fox still has her, which is a shame. I don't see Fox ever doing a Disney Channel-style musical of Dazzler. They'll probably just try to pigeon-hole her into a future X-Men movie if they ever use her.

Dang. Thanks for the clarification though, cuz I sure just ran with the first half of the article.

So... back to the drawing board it is, lol.

Well, if Fox had the creative vision, they would make a Dazzler musical and tie that into the X-Men universe instead of trying to make Fantastic Four. Dazzler has more potential since it isn't a property that has already been criticised previously, and can also tap into the whole Disney musical genre. Whether they'd be able to do it as well as Disney is another matter, because they'd need to get the balance between it actually feeling like a Disney musical and also feeling like an X-Men movie.

Of course, since it is with Fox, they'd potentially be able to get Hugh Jackman to sing some songs. While it might be odd to see Wolverine singing, it could be a surrealistic sequence where Dazzler is simply imagining him doing that rather than it really happening as such. Is he the only singer among the crew, apart from Bryan?

Edit: just remembered that James Marsden has a good singing voice too... but is he even around as a character?

Last edited:
Hopefully DOFP will fix that little Cyclops-quasi-death issue. If Coulson can come back... gosh dang it!!!

Anywho, I keep trying to come up with some way to make Ms. Marvel into something truly unique in the MCU, and not a blend of Captain America/Iron Man/GOTG.

It's a little easier with Monica Rambeau, I could see that as a cop drama of some sort, but then that's kinda the tone you want for a Heroes for Hire set up film as well. Crystal and the Inhumans as more of a horror/adventure-style storyline is also pretty fun and easy.

I think a Black Widow film as a Spy film with a hefty helpnig of superheroic elements could be very unique. Meta-spy if you will. I think Incredibles did something very well along these lines, it was superheroes, but really, they showed how incredible they were at covert missions and actions, which makes sense in a world of secret identities and invading supervillain bases.

I will say, however, that Kerry is the one current actress that I could see them taking a chance on for a Monica Rambeau solo film, given her current popularity.

(I think Kerry's going to be the female Idris Elba. Just as everybody suggests Idris for every Black male role, Kerry will be suggested for every Black female role...lol.)

Well its a refreshing change after Halle Berry (this not a slight against Halle, btw).

Well its a refreshing change after Halle Berry (this not a slight against Halle, btw).

lol...I agree. I think Kerry's a better actress, personally. Still, I don't think either one of them is right for a superhero role. Maybe Kerry will prove me wrong someday, but Halle hasn't done so to this point. (As you said, nothing against Halle...she just sucks as Storm...and the less said about her Catwoman, the better)

I'm hopeful that we'll see a Captain Marvel movie released as part of Phase 3.

And a Captain Marvel film would surely avoid the "female superheroes don't sell" excuses since, if it is an origin film, the vast majority of the film would surely involve Walter Lawson/Captain Mar-Vell and a human, military trained, Carol Danvers battling the Kree with Carol Danvers only obtaining superpowers and taking up the mantle of "Captain Marvel" in the third act.

Heck, Marvel could even "fool" audiences into believing that they're going to see a movie solely about the alien superhero "Captain Marvel" and then blindside them with the reveal that it is actually an origin film about Carol Danver's "Captain Marvel".

If we don't see Captain Marvel in Phase 3, then I would at least like to see a Black Widow solo film. It would be a great way for Marvel to make a low-budget film (in comparison to the standard CGI heavy films) while still expanding upon a great, established character. If need be, they could throw in Hawkeye for at least part of the film. A Bourne-like adventure with Black Widow would be pretty darn awesome provided that the character is written and portrayed as she appeared in Avengers as opposed to Iron Man 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"