FIFA World Cup (Russia)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, its all relative, I mean we couldnt really have an easier group (granted we could still find a way to make a shambles of it) but it could be a nice "soft" entry into the competition, pick up some wins, goals, confidence then beyond that who knows what. Yeah the big teams you would assume would deal with us but I'm not sure how many of them there are this time out and in a one off game you never know. At least theres no "its too hot" for our team this time out and our pace might frighten teams IF we actually use it wisely.

Everytime though I lower my expectations though England find a way to under achieve them. Losing to a country with a smaller population than Bristol last time out. :whatever: So I assume now Tunisia will smack us 3-0 :woot:

The group gives us a chance to build some momentum. Yeah, the it's too hot stuff is really annoying. I would settle for some exciting games and getting to the quarter finals. Can always hope for more but it never seems to happen at the World Cup.

All Giggs had to do was choose England! :woot::csad:

Ha!! I know he certainly played for England youth - was the rules at the time - you play where you live.

I'm not sure if he ever entertained it but I'm sure Sir Alex encouraged him to go with Wales. Welsh FA & schedule would have been far easier to control as opposed to England.

out of that England squad, I'd expect them to play:

Pickford

Walker
Cahill
Stones

Trippier
Henderson
Alli
Rose

Lingard
Kane
Sterling

Can't see Butland starting as he's just been relegated. He also seem's besotted with the idea of turning Kyle Walker into a right sided CB. I'd personally start Rashford, but I suspect he'll be a weapon off the bench.

Weird decision by Southgae.
Put Walker at RCB and Trippier at RWB, you have an "OK" centreback and an "OK" wingback.

On the other hand, puttimg Walker at RWB and Trippier at RCB, you have an average centreback but a world class, explosive wingback.

He's limiting Walker's usefulness for me.

After few hours of analyzing their recent friendlies, I'd say Walker, Stones and Jones are probably gonna start as 3 CBs.

Would you people be up for a vote-only winner poll thread?

For anyone who wants an in depth read:

https://www.ubs.com/content/dam/assets/wm/global/cio/doc/investing-in-emerging-markets-en-us.pdf

No surprise really:

In sum Germany, Brazil, and Spain most
likely to win
…According to our simulations, Germany,
Brazil, and Spain have the highest
likelihood to win the tournament.
Germany and Brazil are set for an easy
start, while Spain will have to hit the
ground running if they are to beat
Portugal, the current European champions,
in their opening game. Spain
will have to hit the ground running to
beat Portugal, the current European
champion, in its opening game. From
there, the going will get tougher for
Spain and Brazil, who will possibly face
Argentina and England, respectively,
in the quarterfinals. Both are former
champions. Germany, however, might
face Belgium, another strong, young,
and talented team, but De Rode
Duivels (the Red Devils) have so far not
shown their best form in big tournaments.
…but watch England, France,
Belgium, and Argentina for surprises

Ha!! I know he certainly played for England youth - was the rules at the time - you play where you live.

I'm not sure if he ever entertained it but I'm sure Sir Alex encouraged him to go with Wales. Welsh FA & schedule would have been far easier to control as opposed to England.

And for the whole of his career England had a massive gap on the left of midfield. So frustrating!

I'm surprised that it looks like people don't have France higher up to win. On paper they've got the biggest talent pool and the set of players most capable of punching above their weight and putting in great performances, especially when it comes to their attackers.

They've got solid enough keepers, great defensive options in Umtiti, Varane, and Laporte, an exceptional midfield combination with Kante and Pogba, and then obviously an insane set of attacking players like Griezmann, Mbappe, Dembele, and Lemar.

They certainly seem like a more talented outfit than the Spanish squad.

Lemar is out of form, Dembele suffered long injury, Mbappe played out of position all year.

Pogba is a liability defensive while Kante is not the type of player that sit back and protect the CB. He runs around a lot, involves heavily in offensive play. So a double pivot of Pogba and Kante is nothing but suicidal.

France has an incredible squad but they need a true coach to gel them together. Deschamps is terrible and wasting this generation.

Dembele has looked great in the tail end of this season for Barcelona, Mbappe still got 17 goals and 16 assists in 41 games. It's likely Schneiderlin or another work horse midfielder would join the likes of Kante and Pogba.

Deschamps might not be the best but two years ago this team got to the final of the Euro, the potential was clearly there and now all those young players are two years older and more experienced.

Just in terms of names they've got fantastic options, whether or not it translates into anything is another question, but I think they deserve a bit of credit.

Dembele has looked great in the tail end of this season for Barcelona, Mbappe still got 17 goals and 16 assists in 41 games. It's likely Schneiderlin or another work horse midfielder would join the likes of Kante and Pogba.

Deschamps might not be the best but two years ago this team got to the final of the Euro, the potential was clearly there and now all those young players are two years older and more experienced.

Just in terms of names they've got fantastic options, whether or not it translates into anything is another question, but I think they deserve a bit of credit.

Pogba and Kante alongside a defensive midfielder could work amazingly if it all gels.

Senegal's squad

DdaHzcHUwAAbQ8j.jpg

Martial, Coman, Laporte, Lacazette, Benzema, Rabiot.

It's an embarrassment to be fair to see who's been left out.

Martial, Coman, Laporte, Lacazette, Benzema, Rabiot.

It's an embarrassment to be fair to see who's been left out.

Benzema/Lacazette being left out for Giroud seems criminal, I'd also take Rabiot instead of Matuidi probably. No Bakayoko either, his stock plummeted after his move to Chelsea.

Must be one of the hardest squads to get into.

Yeah, in fairness to Deschamps there are a lot of choices to make because of how many options there are.

Yes, In Europe, France have the best crop of next gen talent. Certainly attacking wise.

Deschamps strikes me as one of those managers that thinks they are smarter than they actually are.

Mendy, Giroud & Dembele are all surprises in going for me given Mendy's played maybe 10 times all season still recovering from a serious injury, Giroud has had a terrible season & has been God awful since going to Chelsea. Dembele has missed a large chunk of the year also through injury & hasn't really been that good when he has been fit.

Lacazette should feel hard done by as should probably Laporte & Martial that they didn't go ahead of the 3 mentioned above.

Ousamane Dembele along with Mbappe are the "Generational talent's", no way they or on of 'em would be left out.

Dembele is surprisingly on the list ? Mbappe and him are arguably the 2 biggest talent of this generation, and he's been good everytime I saw him played.

Happy to see N'Zonzi on the list. He's definitely one of the best deeplying playmakers in the world recently. Put him behind Kante and Pogba and you'll have a dream midfielders line-up.

Oh **** just realised Rabiot didnt make it. What the hell ? Deschamps continues his obsession with Giroud. Mendy is another undeserved call. Kurzawa might be in pathetic form and lost his place at PSG but at least he played, unlike Mendy

Last edited:
Benzema/Lacazette being left out for Giroud seems criminal, I'd also take Rabiot instead of Matuidi probably. No Bakayoko either, his stock plummeted after his move to Chelsea.

Yeah, in fairness to Deschamps there are a lot of choices to make because of how many options there are.
Yep, must be tough.

I can see how unconventional players like Giroud or say Crouch, Carroll or a Heskey can sneak in to a tournament squad though even if they are not as good as the rest of the players they are competing against. If you take say 5 strikers it's better to take in your last place someone who can offer a tactical difference rather than the best strikers if they are all the same type.

Ddt3H19VAAEz5PS.jpg

Spain.

No Morata (quite obvious).

Odriozola gets a deserved call-up. Azpilicueta's probably gonna be the backup CB for Ramos - Pique.

A bit unbalanced in the midfields, I'd say. Only Busquets is a true CDM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"