Films that you LOVED, but lost interest in.

coreymb16

Not a Side-Kick
Reaction score
I would like to know movies that you liked less and less with repeat viewings. For me, a shining example is The Dark Knight. I thought it was the greatest thing ever when I first saw it, but it just never felt the same afterwards. It's still a decent film but not as great as I though I use to. Maybe it was because I saw it in theatres the first time and I was amped up, I don't know. The scenes with the Joker are still great but the rest of the movie seems to drag a little too long. The constant composition of music in the movie is somber and irritating to hear now. Maybe I'll gain back interest with the next movie.

What about you?

Last edited:
You know what? That's a legit question. The more I think about Drive, the less interested I am in it.

Thor. I really liked it when I first saw it, but its so bad on repeat viewings.

Spider-Man. My beef is that Goblin has no goals after offing Quest.

His goal after offing Quest is to take down the person who will try to stop him from doing whatever he wants after extending an offer for the two team up and being rejected.

Killer Elite. I was so excited to see Jason Statham doing a Munich style political thriller with the likes of Clive Owen and Robert De Niro. But on second viewing it was just slow and plodding, with a total non ending. They should've re-edited the film to suit the cheesy 80's action vibe of the trailers.

Equilibrium

In high school I was an apostle for this film telling all who would listen of its glory. Now? That film is a hardly watchable. Goddamn stupid. At least Sean Bean filled his death quota.

10 years The Lord of the Rings was the bestest thing that ever happened to my life. I used to watch the whole trilogy at least once every month.

Now... I merely think of them as good, fun movies, and I haven't seen them in years.

The Matrix sequels.

I defended them for years, but a man can only stay in denial so long. I tried watching Reloaded again a few months ago. Just a charmless, weirdly cheap looking film...

The Matrix sequels.

I defended them for years, but a man can only stay in denial so long. I tried watching Reloaded again a few months ago. Just a charmless, weirdly cheap looking film...
Reloaded is crap, but is it weird if I actually like Revolutions?

I guess Inception. :( Last time I tried to watch it, I made it to Saito's offer and took it out and watched something else.

The Die Hard Series.

BAZINGA! I'm just kidding.

But no seriously, Star Wars. Thanks Lucas...thanks for killing my CHILD HOOD. :o making Boba Fett a damn clone, the bad place.

Equilibrium

In high school I was an apostle for this film telling all who would listen of its glory. Now? That film is a hardly watchable. Goddamn stupid. At least Sean Bean filled his death quota.

That happened with me too, just not quite as extreme. I thought it was really good the first time I saw it, but I haven't been able to muster much enthusiasm for it subsequently. I like Bale and a few of the set pieces quite a bit, but it doesn't work as a whole. It has no subtext, just text. The way it deals with the problem of fascism is as obvious as a 14 year old stoner who listens to Alex Jones.

-------

I liked Daredevil when I first saw it, but I look at it now and I just can't fathom what I saw in it.

I liked The Boondock Saints when I was 18. When I watched it again at 24, I thought it was one of the most irritating movies I'd ever seen.

We need a yin thread to this thread's yang: Films you HATED, but then came around on.

Part of this is my fault, as I watched some of these films too often. Some movies just don't hold up to repeat viewings. These are movies that I thought were exceptional after the first viewing and that I find very average now.

The Pledge
Rosemary's Baby
The Dark Knight
Natural Born Killers
Pulp Fiction
The Prestige

Reloaded is crap, but is it weird if I actually like Revolutions?
Kind of, Reloaded is mostly crap because Revolutions didn't answers the question left in the 2nd film.

Wow, like Mister H said, some of these sound like your own damn fault. LOTR once a month? Yeah it'll wear out it's welcome. My favorite all time movie is probably Top Gun. Blade Runner and Empire are up there as well. Can't remember the last time I watched any of them. No matter how much I love those movies, I know I can spoil them for myself.

Now, I am sure there are films out there that I don't like as much as I did at first, but I don't think there are any that I've fully lost interest in. If a film doesn't deserve my long term vested interest, I never had any in the first place. I like to think I have good enough taste that I can judge a movie fairly accurately after first viewing.

Wow, like Mister H said, some of these sound like your own damn fault. LOTR once a month? Yeah it'll wear out it's welcome.
Well I was a kid and I just loved those movies so much. What was I supposed to do, have a social life? Impossible.

His goal after offing Quest is to take down the person who will try to stop him from doing whatever he wants after extending an offer for the two team up and being rejected.

And there's the paradox: Spider-man will stop him from doing... what? What is this "whatever" that he wants?

Star Wars, definitely. Not helped by the new trilogy, and the mediocre expanded universe stuff. Though I did like KOTOR.

bad place, most movies really.

Only really great movies are timeless, and can be seen again and again.

Lord of the Rings triology
Spiderman 1 and 2
Kick ash

All of those are just a case of having seen them too many times in a row when they first came out. I completely killed it for myself :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"