Final Fantasy XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have preferred if it stayed with Sony, but I guess I can't blame them. They've probably lost so much money, that they need to go multiplatform to get it all back.

This thread needs a move to the multiplat section now. :cwink:

Anyway, not very reassuring on the gameplay front:

Is Final Fantasy an action series now? Square answers

Square's Shinji Hashimato was on hand to say that the move to action is "not a trend," and that the company evaluates each gameplay shift.

"For Final Fantasy XV, we have action packed game system, but that doesn't mean the next title will be a similar thing," he said. "And we aren't ready to talk about the next game."

He also spoke of the level of challenge in XV, stating it'll have a flexible difficulty level, and be a game that's easy to play.

"[An] action based RPG fits XV, that's why we chose this. For people like me, I want a game that's easy to operate. [We're] asking the dev team to be flexible about difficulty level. I want you to understand that the Final Fantasy series is always evolving, always challenging. This is a change JUST for XV."

http://www.destructoid.com/is-final-fantasy-an-action-series-now-square-answers-256044.phtml

Magnar isn't happy about it being an action RPG (which it was from the beginning) but seeing as they officially changed it into FF15 I can understand where Magnar is coming from seeing as all the main titles have been traditional JRPG for the most part.

With that said the circumstances for Square Enix and Versus were very particular so I totally understand what Hashimoto is saying too.

Personally I couldn't be more happy. I've wanted Versus for a long time and seeing it look so beautiful made me incredibly happy.

What do you mean?

Easy and accessible mean bad things when it comes to video game gameplay. That's what people hated what became of games like Dragon Age and to a lesser extent Mass Effect.

I want a FF game where I'm controlling multiple party members, there is strategy, and is open to explore. The battle system in previous FF games could become pretty strategic at times outside the regular enemy battles. A button mashy game is what I'm worried about. A game that pretends to be God of War but is nowhere near as deep or as deep as Devil May Cry series, nor as strategic as past Final Fantasy games as its abandoned the both the turn-based and ATB system.

Easy and accessible mean bad things when it comes to video game gameplay. That's what people hated what became of games like Dragon Age and to a lesser extent Mass Effect.

I want a FF game where I'm controlling multiple party members, there is strategy, and is open to explore. The battle system in previous FF games could become pretty strategic at times outside the regular enemy battles. A button mashy game is what I'm worried about. A game that pretends to be God of War but is nowhere near as deep or as deep as Devil May Cry series, nor as strategic as past Final Fantasy games as its abandoned the both the turn-based and ATB system.
To be fair the combat will be more like Kingdom Hearts mixed in with Dissidia which does take more strategy than any of the ones mentioned above.

God, if this plays like Dissidia, but with a good Story, and maybe a boss battle against Bahamut like in Advent Children, I'll never put the damn controller down.

Anyway, I still think the story could be pretty cool.

Youtube Trailer HQ (1080p available)

Last edited:
FFXV is not exclusive to PS4, also coming to Xbox One. From Square Enix event.
yeah that's true

Final Fantasy XV Coming To Xbox One, Too [Update]. June 11, 2013 . 9:20am

Final Fantasy XV, Hashimoto revealed, uses Direct X 11, which makes it easy to port to other consoles than the PlayStation 4.

Hense their heavy reliance on the Final Fantasy 13 sequels. They make money with them, despite being a fairly polarizing, and dare I say, almost apathetic edition(s) to the franchise.
that and XIII really got screwed over in alot of way's as I said the ability to explore in the first installment which was a deal breaker for most that love the FF series wasn't there. and yeah the story it had some bad directors and the story has suffered cause of it too. and the cause of XIII being used as a distraction by having it have sequels it be came hated even more . Yeah that MMO doing bad has made alot of things suffer cause of it.

Here's the latest

Final Fantasy XV Questions Answered (Some Of Them, At Least). June 11, 2013 . 9:53am

It sounds like Final Fantasy XV might see sequels in the future, similar to Final Fantasy XIII.

It sounds like Final Fantasy XV might see sequels in the future, similar to Final Fantasy XIII.

When asked about potential sequels at their presentation in Los Angeles this morning, Square Enix stated that Final Fantasy XV is such a large-scale game that many stories may come at a later time.

Square Enix’s Final Fantasy brand director Shinji Hashimoto wouldn’t comment on how close to completion Final Fantasy XV is. The game is still being worked on by the same staff that were developing the game when it was titled Final Fantasy Versus XIII, although Hashimoto stated that Square added staff to the development.

Hashimoto also stated that, having played Final Fantasy Versus XIII on PlayStation 3 and Final Fantasy XV on PlayStation 4, he can see the difference between them.

When asked if the more action-oriented nature of the game meant that Final Fantasy was going to be become that way in the future, Hashimoto stated that the Final Fantasy series has different systems, but that Square are not at the stage where they can comment on the future beyond Final Fantasy XV.

When asked if it was difficult to do turn-based combat in a game that has the production values of Final Fantasy XV, Hashimoto stated that he feels there is a future for both action-based RPGs as well as command-based ones. Square feel that the action-based combat fits Final Fantasy XV.

Last edited:
Some gameplay. Looks promising. Didn't like that whoever played Noctis, was kind of an amateur. Because he didn't really play effective and seemed to miss a lot. Love other small glimpses of the gameplay that we got to see though. Like the parrying and team-up attacks.

[YT]LBilT83Uq4A[/YT]

Square is desperately trying to keep the Final Fantasy franchise afloat. It is pathetic. Remember when an FF game was something to be excited for? Now it is a joke. Rather than moving into dark and gritty and action oriented (i.e. everything that every other game is), they should embrace their roots. Go back to turn based and market it as such! Go back to lighter and simpler! Audiences will embrace it! Chrono Trigger, to this day, is one of the best games of all time. And it still holds up entirely. Same with Suikoden 2. Same with the earlier FF games. Square should move backward to move forward, rather than continue to transform the franchise into something it is not.

Sequels... :wall:

What's wrong with Square Enix creating sequels to certain installments in the main FF series? I personally like that we get to revisit particular settings and characters, particularly if said settings and characters are compelling and engrossing the way the settings and characters from FFIV, FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII have been.

Regarding XIII's linearity: FFX was just as linear, and yet it's one of the most beloved games in the main numbered series (at least it is for me), so I've never understood this whole 'it was too linear' thing when it comes to leveling negativity against XIII.

Regarding XV being an Action RPG: Giving an installment in the main numbered series action-based gameplay was sort of an inevitability, and XV won't actually be the first game in the numbered series to break that 'barrier' (Lightning Returns: FFXIII is going to nab that honor).

Regarding the main FF series going back to traditional turn-based gameplay: As far as I know, Square Enix has never truly abandoned turn-based gameplay for its main FF series, I fail to see where this whole 'Square Enix needs to go back to their turn-based roots' idea comes from.

Last edited:
Square is desperately trying to keep the Final Fantasy franchise afloat. It is pathetic. Remember when an FF game was something to be excited for? Now it is a joke. Rather than moving into dark and gritty and action oriented (i.e. everything that every other game is), they should embrace their roots. Go back to turn based and market it as such! Go back to lighter and simpler! Audiences will embrace it! Chrono Trigger, to this day, is one of the best games of all time. And it still holds up entirely. Same with Suikoden 2. Same with the earlier FF games. Square should move backward to move forward, rather than continue to transform the franchise into something it is not.

I don't really mind the approach for FFXV. The reveal trailer reminded me of a more sophisticated FFVII world, with SOLDIERS and even the main character looks kind of a Cloud Squall mix. And action oriented is what I wanted the franchise to go, ever since I watched Advent Children and play Dissidia. But I guess all of that was ok, because at first it was just supposed to be another XIII Title. More of a spin-off then its own main numbered Final Fantasy Game.

But I'm still totally with you on this. After XIII and XV, I definitely want Final Fantasy to go back to its roots. The great thing about Final Fantasy was that every new game would be an epic adventure with an entirely new world to explore. Every entry was its own thing, and the settings would change from classic fantasy, to steam punk, to high tech future. I'm ready for some classic Fantasy again.

FFXIII and FXIII-2 are Active Time Battle systems that were an overhaul of the FFX-2 battle system, that (ATB) dates back to FFIV in 1991. FFX was purely a turn-based system which was last seen in FFIII on the NES.

It's this recent LR (a spinoff game) and FFXV battle system that are deviations from the norm.

^ I wouldn't consider Lightning Returns a 'spinoff' game, and I don't think Square Enix does either.

^ I wouldn't consider Lightning Returns a 'spinoff' game, and I don't think Square Enix does either.

They didn't bother to call it FFXIII-3. They reduced FFXIII to a subtitle instead of the other way around. It's Dirge of Cerberus. A spinoff, in my book.

51NQn4aG6AL._A150_.jpg
514SSA3HZ7L._A160_.jpg

they aren't pushing it that way Magnar, sorry. I see what you mean, but that's not how they are pushing it to the public.

You know what I'd like to see Square do? To stop pouring tons of money into continuously trying to improve the graphics. I wish every entry would be something unique, and not always be based on that whole Japanese bishonen style with feminine looking men and be as realistic looking as possible.

I started out with FFVII and thought the game was amazing. Then FFVIII came along, which looked 5, 10 times better. It blew my mind. Then we got IX, which changed the art style completely and gave us more of a kiddy, cartoonish approach. I. Freaking. Loved It. But after that, they picked one art direction and stuck with that. And it seems like they started to stagnate because of it. It's like they don't let their creative juices flow anymore, because it's all Graphics! Graphics! Graphics! Graphics! Graphics! Graphics!

How about trying some new stuff? How about some cel shading? A Final Fantasy game in the art style of Kingdom Hearts? Or how about trying to bring Yo****aka Amano's art to life?

Last edited:
Magnar, regardless of how it's labeled, Dirge of Cerberus is considered by Square Enix to be a direct sequel to FFVII, just as Lightning Returns is considered by Square Enix to be a direct sequel to FFXIII.

Here are some of the games that Square Enix considers to truly be spinoffs of the FF franchise:
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (and its sequels)
Dissidia Final Fantasy (and its sequel)
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (and its sequels)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

The Tactics series could also be considered to be a spinoff because its games aren't specifically part of the main numbered series even though they take place in one of the worlds of the numbered series (Ivalice), but they aren't listed by Wikipedia as being spinoffs.

In six months' time Crisis Core will be remembered not for being a classic that changed the landscape, demographic and influences of videogames the world over like its forebear once did. Rather, it will be remembered for being a well-produced PSP curio, the best Final Fantasy VII spin-off for certain, but the best of a rotten bunch.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/final-fantasy-vii-crisis-core-review?page=3

41nL%2BbMu5eL._A160_.jpg

Anyway, plenty has been written about these various spinoffs (I didn't invent the word to describe them) over the years. Google'em.

Anyway, back to FFXV.

^ The only thing that matters in this whole 'spinoff' argument is whether or not Square Enix considers the various sequels and prequels to FFIV, FFVII, FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII to be spinoffs, and, based on what I've been able to find, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"