Finally....the best ever Three Musketeers movie on DVD

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
March 6 2007 will see the release of the 1948 version of The Three Musketeers. It stars Gene Kelly, Lana Turner and Vincent Price. Kelly, despite being about twenty years too old for D'Artgnan, is fantastic. It's all in vibrant technicolour as well. It really is the best one, and yes, that includes action-wise - the sword fights are longer, larger, more exciting and far more dynamic than in any other version. This is almost a forgotten classic that is every bit as entertaining as The Adventures of Robin Hood.

The DVD contains very few extras, but as the film was made in 1948, that's forgivable.

lestroismousquetaires36.jpg

lestroismousquetaires40.jpg

lestroismousquetaires8.jpg

lestroismousquetaires26.jpg

Did someone say vincent price, I'm there! :trans:
c.jpg

Yeah, Gene Kelly was great, brought effortless grace and charisma to the role. And of course, any film with Vincent Price rocks.

Personally though, I'll always be a fan of the Dick Lester Musketeers films (much in the same way as Star Wars - 'grew up on 'em' etc).

I know they were more comedic, but they were also pretty dark at times and the action was great, not to mention the cast:-

Oliver Reed

24944.jpg

Chuck Heston

24896.jpg

Michael York

24942.jpg

Faye Dunaway

24900.jpg

Christopher Lee

24898.jpg

Richard Chamberlain

24958.jpg

plus the likes of Frank Finlay, Simon Ward, Raquel Welsh, Joss Ackland, Roy Kinnear, Spike Milligan etc.

:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"