Finances: Advice, Woes and all things Money!

Golden rule: if you don't want to get caught in a perpetual debt cycle, borrowed funds should only be used for income-generating or investment activities and never for consumption. To be financially responsible is to learn how to live within your means.

It never seems to stop does it Erz? Weddings can be extremely expensive, depending on what you go for.
Erz is half-Asian, IIRC.

Asian relatives are VERY generous when giving at weddings. Usually you actually make a profit. :o

Ugh, mortgages. Something the hubs and I are NOT looking forward to. We'd be happy renting in the foreseeable future, because we have no idea where we want to live for 10+ years. Plus in California where our jobs are likely are, a decent house costs around a million dollars. :o

Here's hoping.

Actually we are really hoping we get enough to buy a new car. Both our cars while paid off are 10 years old.

Here's hoping.

Actually we are really hoping we get enough to buy a new car. Both our cars while paid off are 10 years old.
Push 'em in that direction by not having a registry and explaining the concept of red envelopes. Even the hubs' Hungarian family played along. :oldrazz:

Plus we live in a studio apartment, there was ACTUALLY a legitimate reason we did not have a registry. One of my (Asian!!!) relatives gave us a portable Wolfgang Puck grill to drag back downstate. It's sitting right now in the closet shelf. Wolfgang Puck leers at me when I change. :funny:

Ugh, mortgages. Something the hubs and I are NOT looking forward to. We'd be happy renting in the foreseeable future, because we have no idea where we want to live for 10+ years. Plus in California where our jobs are likely are, a decent house costs around a million dollars. :o

I always felt renting though, I'm throwing money away every month. I'd rather put that money towards something I could own in the future ya know?

I always felt renting though, I'm throwing money away every month. I'd rather put that money towards something I could own in the future ya know?
It's not free and clear owning - you have to pay for maintenance, and even then, you'll only make your money back if you can sell it at a higher price, which often means renovation. In some areas of the country, people are trapped where they are because they can't sell their house, and they don't have enough money to rent/buy another place somewhere else.

My husband and I like freedom and flexibility, can you tell? :oldrazz:

Push 'em in that direction by not having a registry and explaining the concept of red envelopes. Even the hubs' Hungarian family played along. :oldrazz:

Plus we live in a studio apartment, there was ACTUALLY a legitimate reason we did not have a registry. One of my (Asian!!!) relatives gave us a portable Wolfgang Puck grill to drag back downstate. It's sitting right now in the closet shelf. Wolfgang Puck leers at me when I change. :funny:
Well if she has a bridal party, that's what the registry is for. If I had to go into my registry and manually change things to say that they've been bought, prior to the wedding, I will. :o

Great (and timely) thread.

I was wondering how people like to save/invest their money? Savings accounts, stocks, dividends, CDs, etc?

I take 10% in a 401k and then I try and put away 10% in my savings every month.

Great (and timely) thread.

I was wondering how people like to save/invest their money? Savings accounts, stocks, dividends, CDs, etc?
I direct deposit in my savings and take out exactly enough to pay my bills. That's how I maximize my savings. I max out on my Roth IRA and put in $35 or so a month into mutual funds.

My sister got me to try high yield checking accounts at credit unions. They give 3% APY instead of <1%. Opened two after the wedding so we'll see...

Well if she has a bridal party, that's what the registry is for. If I had to go into my registry and manually change things to say that they've been bought, prior to the wedding, I will. :o
:funny:

I didn't have a bridal shower. If I don't want stuff and there's no room, those are facts and I won't let some Caucasian relatives sway me!

The way I figure, I'd never buy a roomba or a waffle maker on my own.

That's what this registry is for. We have dishes, utensils, etc. Now it's everything, yeah it'd be nice to have but not important.

The way I figure, I'd never buy a roomba or a waffle maker on my own.

That's what this registry is for. We have dishes, utensils, etc. Now it's everything, yeah it'd be nice to have but not important.
That's true, but we have NO room (seriously, NO ROOM, it's a 500sq ft studio), and I prefer money. :oldrazz: And hubs is a minimalist, so he'd probably agree to sell the Roomba or waffle maker anyway. :funny:

i try to coupon or use online discount codes if i can find them online. i've gotten a lot of great deals that way (hence the Great Deals thread)

I also use some phone apps that help me with pocket money. I have an app that I upload my grocery reciepts too. every week they promote diffent products (ex: paper towels, detergent, soup, etc) and you get cash back for buying these items. i've made about $120.00 just from this one app since March alone.

i use my paycheck for my bills and i try to use this as my spending money as much as possible.

btw, the app is called Ibotta and it's android and iphone adaptable. totally worth it and if anyone tries it out and gets confused, send a PM my way and I'll help any way I can

i have $400.00 put aside for a rainy day, and i've had this money since December. I can't decide if I want to hold on it in case an emergency comes, or if I want to use it to pay off a credit card and close it out.

i have $400.00 put aside for a rainy day, and i've had this money since December. I can't decide if I want to hold on it in case an emergency comes, or if I want to use it to pay off a credit card and close it out.
How much is the interest and how often do you get paid?

whered you get that number from?

i make about 5-600 after taxes every payday
Whoops, my bad - I read the "I made 120 from just the one app" as if that was your main source of income.

I would put $200 down for your credit debt this paycheck and another $200 from the next one - keep that $400 you put aside for the rainy day.

i would do that if I could. at least 60-75% of this paycheck will be covering my car note and my car insurance

i'm considering looking into some freelance stuff online. anita mentioned a site a bit back and it looks interesting so i will be looking into that

i would do that if I could. at least 60-75% of this paycheck will be covering my car note and my car insurance

i'm considering looking into some freelance stuff online. anita mentioned a site a bit back and it looks interesting so i will be looking into that
It's harder than it looks. I'm on Elance for web design, and I'm competing with teams from India who are willing to do even ecommerce sites for under minimum wage. TEAMS from India, as in, each person probably gets $1/hour at the end. :oldrazz: I need to learn Wordpress, PHP, and Javascript pretty quickly or else I can't compete at all. I'm still thinking I'm going to take the time to do internships and specialize instead of being a one-stop shop whose only option is competing with foreign teams willing to work for pennies. :oldrazz:

Right now I'm doing volunteer website design work from VolunteerMatch.org. It doesn't pay, but at least I'll have more sites in my portfolio so I can better convince someone to pay me money to do it in the future. Plus I have a soft spot for charities and non-profits...

My husband had more luck, but he's doing iOS programming - real programming which is more difficult and which I have no interest at all in doing. :oldrazz: You don't need a college degree to learn it, but you do need to put in the hours. I have an acquaintance who heard that he could make $60K/year after 2 months of hardcore programming training (5 hours a day at least), so that's what he's going to do. Because he's Asian and that's how all the stereotypical Asian folks choose their livelihoods. :funny:

Last edited:
i was a graphic design major when i could afford to go to school but it's been a while. i don't know how much programming i remember. i also worked for a printing shop and have done some freelance stuff in similar regards (web banners, logos, shirt designs, flyers, run the local little league site, etc)

i didn't look at the link as much as i wanted to as i was pressed for time, but i've bookmarked it to at least look at it

i was a graphic design major when i could afford to go to school but it's been a while. i don't know how much programming i remember. i also worked for a printing shop and have done some freelance stuff in similar regards (web banners, logos, shirt designs, flyers, run the local little league site, etc)

i didn't look at the link as much as i wanted to as i was pressed for time, but i've bookmarked it to at least look at it
If you want to use that site, my advice is to know your strengths and leverage them. I probably don't push as hard in my proposals as I should, because even I know how to build a website in general, most people are looking for something they can maintain themselves, ie a CMS, ie Worldpress because that's the one they've heard of. :funny: Wordpress in its most basic form is pretty easy, but of course I'm not making it easy on myself learning it the first time. :oldrazz: I'd probably have to do it a few more times before demanding money for it, haha. I'm such an Asian chick...

My other advice, which is probably more topical, is to leverage your network. I get paid $15/hr to do advertising layout for a wedding venue that my community college classmate referred me to. She was doing the job herself, but graduated and then got pregnant so she didn't have time anymore. I can't even command $10/hr on Elance. :funny: And when I met her, I had no idea that she could make such a connection for me. It's very likely that someone you know might need design work (or whatever work it is), even if it's a friend of a friend.

It's a contract gig so it wouldn't pay the bills by itself, but the extra money (and experience) is nice.

when the furlough hit and i lost about 20 hours a month i couldn't make ends meet and now those savings are long gone :(

bumping this for new discussions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"