green

fear is the mind killer
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117982413.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
Paramount puts pedal to 'Metal'
Fincher tests 'Heavy'
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Fincher

Paramount Pictures will make an animated film inspired by the '70s sci-fi fantasy magazine Heavy Metal, with director David Fincher spearheading the project.
"Heavy Metal" will be stamped by the erotic and violent storylines and images that remain the trademark of a magazine that debuted in the U.S. in 1977. The mag introduced the works of American artists and writers such as Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison and H.R. Giger.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Fincher will direct one of the segments; Kevin Eastman, the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" co-creator who is now owner and publisher of Heavy Metal, will direct another. So will Tim Miller, whose Blur Studios will handle the animation for what is being conceived as an R-rated, adult-themed feature.

Fincher, Eastman and Miller will produce the film. The studio will lock in the other directors shortly. The mag previously spawned a 1981 animated feature and 2000 sequel.

Fincher, who directed "Zodiac" for Par, recently wrapped the Brad Pitt-Cate Blanchett starrer "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which Par releases Dec. 19. Fincher recently became attached to direct Paramount's adaptation of the Charles Burns graphic novel "Black Hole" and is also developing "Torso" and "The Killer" for the studio.

Miller is writing, directing and producing a feature-length version of "Rockfish." Blur has also been responsible for animating such videogames as "Transformers: The Game," based on the hit pic from DreamWorks and Paramount.

Fincher has been involved with many films lately.

Isnt this like, the third Heavy Metal movie?

Fincher has a new project every two minutes. damn!

I wish he'd hurry up and make Rendezvous with Rama.

The film will consist of eight or nine individual animated segments, each of which will be directed by a different helmer.

Sold!

As I said on the front page, this is a pretty awesome development. I hope this Heavy Metal is as good as it can be with talent like Fincher behind it.

I love how it's going to have individual segments like the original, didn't care for Heavy Metal 2 that much.

Wonder who's going to be on the soundtrack, the music has always been a big plus with these movies.

Some good band has to re-do Sammy Hagar's song for this damnit!

Some good band has to re-do Sammy Hagar's song for this damnit!

Blashphemy!!

I know I'll probably be in the minority but that song still holds up today.:woot:

It does hold up today, I'm going to listen to it now.

I'll be happy with the music as long as the idea of Heavy Metal isn't: MCR, The Killers, The Used, Fall Out Boy, etc.

But Fincher has a good taste in music (NIN fan fo' sho.) So I'm sure he'll get some good tuned :up:

It does hold up today, I'm going to listen to it now.

I'll be happy with the music as long as the idea of Heavy Metal isn't: MCR, The Killers, The Used, Fall Out Boy, etc.

But Fincher has a good taste in music (NIN fan fo' sho.) So I'm sure he'll get some good tuned :up:

I agree!

don't forget.....Madonna!!!

Which movie of his did he have Madonna playing in it?

Which movie of his did he have Madonna playing in it?

he did 2 video collections for her. i'm pretty sure he directed some of them too. he directed music videos for a while before becoming a movie director.

Now the question is, will this fly today? Heavy Metal mag is still out, but it's mostly a cult thing nowadays. F.A.K.K. was just a direct to cable thing last time I saw it, and mostly Julie Strain's old ass.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay I loved heavy metal, because the story was so cool and stuff, yeah....

As for whether it'll fly today. Hell yeah... If 300 is any indication...

sounds awesome. heavy metal was a huge influence on my young life (i saw it way before i should have)...

but the news that has me even more excited is this

"Fincher recently became attached to direct Paramount's adaptation of the Charles Burns graphic novel "Black Hole..."

one of my favorite books ever.

Didn't see this posted.

Entertainment Weekly said:
David Fincher's 'Heavy Metal' remake a no-go at Paramount

Not even a bigshot like David Fincher could keep Heavy Metal at Paramount. The Zodiac director, who is currently putting the finishing touches on his highly-anticipated Brad Pitt movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, has been spearheading an edgy remake of the 1981 R-rated animated flick inspired by the 1970s fantasy magazine of the same name. But Tim Miller, whose Blur Studio is handling the animation, says he and Fincher, along with current Heavy Metal publisher Kevin Eastman, are now shopping the film to other studios because Paramount's new production execs felt the movie was too risque for mainstream audiences. The project is an amaglam of erotic and violent storylines penned by well-known sci-fi scribes like Steve Niles (30 Days of Night), Joe Haldeman (The Forever War), and Neal Asher (Gridlinked). The concept is to use eight to 10 of these shorts in a single movie with each segment helmed by a different director (Fincher is on deck to direct one). Though things are on hold until another studio picks it up, Miller is confident the film will eventually see the light of day. "David really believes in the project. It's just a matter of time," Miller says.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/04...oro-and-gore-verbinski-to-direct-heavy-metal/
Zack Snyder, Guillermo del Toro and Gore Verbinski to Direct Heavy Metal!?
Posted on Thursday, September 4th, 2008 at 8:35 am by: Peter Sciretta

Heavy Metal publisher Kevin Eastman says that Zack Snyder, Guillermo del Toro and Gore Verbinski will join executive producer David Fincher to direct segments of the upcoming Heavy Metal animated film. The feature is scheduled to include eight or nine segments, and is being envisioned as an adult-themed R-rated film. Animator Tim Miller and Eastman himself are also expected to direct segments. The original 1981 film was also an anthology of sci-fi and fantasy stories adapted from the Heavy Metal magazine. The magazine and the film are known for their overuse of bloody violence, nudity and sexuality.

I never take anything at face value anymore. Until you see actual footage or notes about a movie, I consider it non-existent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"