First large glasses-free 3D tv

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Toshiba 55ZL2 55-inch Glasses-Free 3D TV unveiled at IFA 2011

The Toshiba 55ZL2 is possibly the biggest highlight of the IFA 2011. It is the world's first glasses free 3D TV and its with 55-inch pretty big. On top of that its Quad Full HD!

Toshiba announced the launch of the world’s first large-screen glasses-free 3D TV at the IFA 2011. The Toshiba 55ZL2 has a screen of 139cm (55”) in diagonal and does not require glasses to experience 3D. Plus, the 55ZL2 is the world’s first TV targeted at consumers that comes with a Quad Full HD screen. This enables the 55ZL2 to offer a 3D TV experience that can be enjoyed by a large group of viewers and displays 2D contents in four times (Quad) Full HD resolution

The Toshiba 55ZL2’s glasses-free 3D application is powered by Toshiba’s high-performance multi-processor platform CEVO-ENGINE which also allows for many more innovative applications including PERSONAL-TV, enabling the consumer to personalize TV settings, and SMART-TV applications such as USB recording and access to Toshiba Places. It also comes with an Auto Calibration feature to achieve studio level picture quality.
The 55ZL2 will be available from December 2011 in Germany with release dates to be confirmed in other European countries. The price will be pretty high that is for sure. Toshiba shows with the 55ZL2 the future of TVs.
How the Glasses-Free 3D works:
The glasses-free 3D technology is based on the stereoscopic principle of simultaneously delivering a picture for the left eye and another one with a small offset (parallax) for the right eye – these are then superposed in the viewer’s brain to get the 3D effect. To achieve 3D without glasses, it is essential that the lenses guide the dedicated images to the viewer’s eyes. The Integral Imaging technology, powered by the CEVO-ENGINE, applied to the 55ZL2 delivers nine views which create multiple wide-angle viewing zones in front of the glasses-free 3D TV. This allows several viewers to enjoy the 3D experience at the same time without wearing glasses.
To optimize the viewing zones in respect to the viewers’ actual positions in front of the TV, the 55ZL2 features a face tracking application. At the push of the remote, it detects the viewers’ position and sets up the total viewing experience.

Sweet.

I'd like to hear people's reactions to how good the 3D is though.

Sweet.

I'd like to hear people's reactions to how good the 3D is though.

This is what I've been waiting for. Probably about 3 years before it comes out by all the major makers for the mass market?

And the price tag is probably 9000 dollars or more...

Toshiba announced the price tag to be 7,999 Euros. Which converted to US dollars is $11,368.94. However, European products tend to be a bit more expensive in the European Economic Area. For example (based on current exchange rates) a PlayStation 3 in the United States costs $249.99. In the United Kingdom however, it costs 180 pounds which converts to $291.96. Or in the Eurozone where a PlayStation 3 costs 249.99 Euros, which converts to $255.73.

We'll probably see a price tag of around $7,000.00 - $8,000.00.

There's still going to be at least a handful of very stupid people who will pay THAT much money for it. -.-

There's still going to be at least a handful of very stupid people who will pay THAT much money for it. -.-

The good thing though is that companies want fast adoption of these technologies so they'll continue to improve upon it along with making it cheaper.

I'm looking forward to the glasses free Sony 3D TVs.

Yep.

I'm still waiting for the public's reactions to the 3D, hopefully all that money they put in to this is worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"