First (Leaked) Details on Marvel Universe Online

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Geo32101, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Geo32101 Guest

Link- http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164400

Hopefully the game wont be canceled. :-\

Like Marvel? Join TalkMarvel!

2. Timstuff Registered

I wouldn't have been able to play it anyway so I don't really care.

3. i-n-z-a-n-e Registered

I hope it's not cancelled i'm looking foward to playing it.

4. Gregor Guest

A game like that seems like it has potential, but as another article pointed out, it has serious flaws even in concept. For example: what's the use of playing a Marvel game if you can't be at least some of the Marvel characters?

If you are forced to make your own heroes, but you can follow around and interact with the famous Marvel heroes as NPCs, is it really that much different than City of Heroes?

If the game did come out, would it be much different than playing Ultimate Alliance's multiplayer mode? Sure, there'd be more details to equipment and abilities, but it would basically be the same.

Though I think it could be possible to make such a game, I don't see it being a big improvement over City of Heroes. Instead, I would prefer to see Marvel expand the X-Men Legends/Ultimate Alliance line. If they produced another game in that vein (perhaps Avengers-themed, delving into the more minor characters of that team) with the right on-line support (i.e. new/updated characters, missions, areas, equipment, etc.) they could keep the good thing they have going as well as break new ground, rather than try to copy the success of other MMORPGs.

5. GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Who says you can't be Marvel heroes?

And generalizing one superhero game as being the same as another, especially based on a single feature, is as silly as generalizing two fantasy MMOs as the same thing because they both have crafting.

And they're different developers, so cancelling MUO has absolutely no bearing on or help for MUA.

And as far as similarities to other games, UA's multiplayer mode is not only non-existant on non-combat action, but it traps four, and only four, teammates together. Fun? yes. Unimprovable? Hardly. And in regards to City of Heroes, I've played it and there's plenty room for improvement. Think Everquest compared with World of Warcraft. If you can't see it that's fine, but it's certainly there.

I'd prefer, for the record, a ground breaking MMO that broke the standard MMO structures over MUA2...

But that likely won't happen... I wonder if publishers would even be bold enough to invest in a game that doesn't have the standard MMO classes, teamwork and level grinding...

6. RED_Rider Soul Reaver

I'm pretty sure that the project is dead. Plus, there is no way on earth that Sony would allow Marvel to let MS make a Marvel MMO since it would become a PC / 360 exclusive and Sony won't allow it.
    If the Marvel Universe ever becomes a reality, it will most likely be a multiplatform for PS3, 360 and PC.

7. WhatsHisFace Registered

Sony owns Marvel now? That's news to me. :whatever:

8. Purple Prancer Registered

Current development stage confirmed:

[​IMG]

9. WhatsHisFace Registered

I actually had a very hearty laugh at that post. Good thing all my roomates are gone... done with their damn finals while I'm still trapped here. :mad:

10. RED_Rider Soul Reaver

I didn't mean that. Marvel is an independent company but monsters like Sony and MS will never allow a huge force like Marvel to go to either side exclusively. Even though Sony Online might be working on DC Universe game, I'm pretty sure MS won't allow that either. Not that DC or Marvel are dependent but because both PS3 and 360 want to have as many super heroes as they can have.
    Plus, Marvel needs to have a steady relationship with Sony since they have movie rights to more than a few of their biggest heroes.

11. WhatsHisFace Registered

Once a deal is made, that's it. They are exclusive games, published by the console manufacturers. No amount of money could call for multiplat release.

12. Apollo Registered

maybe they are waiting to release it on....... Xbox 3?? :dry: