"Flame On!" The Human Torch Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cracked did a pretty spectacular job pointing out everything that's wrong with 85% of the posts in this thread, so I applaud them.

tumblr_mlze2aazAe1raw1qjo1_500.gif

Please guys, keep going.

First you come into the SHIELD thread saying that having three females in the cast somehow "outnumbers" or "overshadows" the three male castmembers.

Now you're saying that having a very talented young actor with a different skin color than the character he's playing would be worse than having a semi-talented singer and not overly talented actress playing Lois Lane.

Either you're trolling or you've got some sort of white male superiority complex. :o

I can't believe I'm doing this to a Sawyer post, but :applaud

How many of the people making 80 percent of the posts in this thread would later revert to loving the casting if Michael B Jordan were cast and knocked it out of the park?

(Like he would.)

Probably all of them. That's how many.

Last edited:
When Cracked takes the piss out of you, you know you've made it.

Racism usually is. (When it's not violent, of course.)

How many of the people making 80 percent of the posts in this thread would later revert to loving the casting if Michael B Jordan were cast and knocked it out of the park?

(Like he would.)

Probably all of them. That's how many.

He definitely would. He'd own the role.

Oh, totally in agreement. Fantastic actor.

And has all the necessary requirements to play Johnny.

The only thing Johnny needs is a talented attractive actor who can play the role of a playboy who catches a flame.

Michael B. Jordan? Check. Got it.

Last edited:
Racism usually is. (When it's not violent, of course.)

Totally. I agree. I'd even argue its not the racism itself that is humorous (racism really isn't that funny). But the over compensation that makes me giggle.

The discussion took a weird turn. I get the strangest picture in my mind of three guys in a huddle pointing at the crowd saying..."he's racist, he's racist, he's racist and he's racist". Not sure why, that just came to mind.

It's really the best way to be right on the internet.

"Oh you have an opinion? YOU'RE RACIST."

It's really the best way to be right on the internet.

"Oh you have an opinion? YOU'RE RACIST."

No one is doing that. But when people say the nonsense that Cracked pointed out in a brilliant and hilarious way, you gotta call a spade a spade.

No one is doing that. But when people say the nonsense that Cracked pointed out in a brilliant and hilarious way, you gotta call a spade a spade.

Maybe I'm not the best one to be arguing the reverse, since for some god awful reason Cracked picked me out of the hundreds of posters on this thread.

... but the premise is flawed. Not a single person on the Hype knows what color my skin is. Not to mention there was not a shred of malicious intent behind anything I said in this forum. So... brilliant is a stretch.

And the first appearance of a white male as the Human Torch was in 1939. Yet another brilliant journalistic deduction by J.F. Sargent of Cracked.

It was a different white male Human Torch, you're right. It doesnt change the fact that the guy who wrote this (just like every poster in this forum) knows nothing about the people posting in this forum or what their intent is.

And if you want to talk about prejudice at its most basest definition... That is, making decisions about people before knowing any and all relevant facts.

They didn't pull anything from the Hype out of context. Unintentional racism is still racism. And no, saying you dont want a black Human Torch is not what's racist, it's the horribly racist REASONS why certain people don't want a black human torch that is.

All Cracked did was point those things out. Sad that half of then are from this thread.

Last edited:
It was a different white male Human Torch, you're right. It doesnt change the fact that the guy who wrote this (just like every poster in this forum) knows nothing about the people posting in this forum or what their intent is.

And if you want to talk about prejudice at its most basest definition... That is, making decisions about people before knowing any and all relevant facts.

But that has nothing to do with you're arguing about now.

What does him not mentioning the original human torch have to do with him not knowing who you are personally?

It sounds like you're bitter that you put your foot in your mouth and got called out by Cracked on it.

FOX really should confirm exactly what the hell is going on to end these debates. But they probably more then likely wont say anything until Comic Con

I think a lot of people don't understand that a person doesn't have to be intentionally racist to make a racist statement. Especially on the Internet. Most people probably don't intend to sound racist (though some definitely do), but that doesn't mean that what they say doesn't contribute to a racist discourse surrounding Johnny in this movie.

I don't know if any of you read cracked, it's a pretty big humor website, but a post from Spider - Man made it to the front page:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-5-most-insulting-defenses-nerd-racism/
Scroll down to number one.
Personally I think the writer is misguided and looking to be offended. I'm not all for a black guy playing Johnny Storm, but I won't lose any sleep if they do cast him.

A writer for a site called 'cracked', huh? figures.

Let me quickly point out that in trying to intelligently 'out' white racists, he inadvertantly quotes one of tdevera's posts about why Superman can't be black, obviously thinking it was posted by some 'white racist nerd'! Hi-larious!

This discussion is pointless. The prevailing black sentiment in this thread is 'because there's more black people in the real world than are represented in comic book films it is ok to make some of these characters black but it is NOT ok to make any black character white and if you think otherwise you are white supremicist racist!' In lieu of continuing to carry on discussion opposing such a perspicacious point of view, LEt me wrap up with the key quote in this masterpiece:

"The thing is, the only reason these characters were white in the first place was that comic books were created in a time when nobody would have printed a book about a non-white superhero (having female superheroes was difficult enough, and they were handled with something less than dignity). But nowadays, the people responsible for these characters are trying to make their properties as inclusive and welcoming as they possibly can, because everybody likes comic books, not just white people.
So actually, maybe racist nerds do have a good reason to be angry -- they're angry because the comic industry has outgrown them."

If the above argument is true, IF the comic industry has 'outgrown' this imagined group of hate-for-anyone-who-isn't-white group of comic nerds, then why aren't there significantly more black characters in comics today or if there actually are, why are they resorting to changing the races of established characters instead of creating or using new black, Latino, Chinese, etc. characters? I mean a black Johnny Storm is still a token black character. Let's look at the quote again:

the only reason these characters were white in the first place was that comic books were created in a time when nobody would have printed a book about a non-white superhero

Are people in the industry today incapable of being creative anymore? Is the extent of the innovative brainpower working in comics today merely changing the race of already estrablished characters? If that is 'outgrowing' ANYONE fond of comics, I'm sure they're glad not to part of such an uninspired way of 'advancing' the industry. If they are basically saying, 'The only thing left for us in the absence of being creative enough to realize new diverse characters is to start making the current ones black', I say let them have at it. Funny how anything 'all white' is nowadays bad but somehow an all-black Star Trek would be neat. Nooo, that's not racist at all. Actually, they really should make an all black Star Trek Or FF or Avengers and watch it break all the box office records. MAybe DC could lead the charge and do JLA with an all black cast or at least have every major role played by a non-caucasian since that would be a true representation of the 'real world' and apparently the only way of appeasing the consensus supporters of the race change for the Torch!

One last thing, If I'm white and I would be upset over them picking a white guy to play Luke Cage or Rhodey in a future Iron Man film, exactly who am I a racist against? Perhaps the brainchild behind the insightful cracked piece can figure it out for you all.

Cracked brought me here...well done guys...well done:csad::csad::csad:

The reaction to Michael B Jordan's casting is downright embarrassing. I'm glad that Cracked article called everyone out on their b.s.

It's good to see the tide turning in this thread. Hopefully a lot of these comments can stop because it's getting harder to bite my lip.

Last edited:
Look,I'm unapologetically purist.I want the characters to reflect the comic as much as possible.

zjT6FLL.gif

That's the way dad did it....and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"