Flashbacks, or straight forward storytelling?

Naite22

Superhero
Reaction score
I was wondering, and pardon me if this feels unnecessary. But hey. What more is there to discuss at this very moment in time. Seriously?

Anyways. I've been thinking about this for quite a while. How would you guys wanna see this film flow? Do you wanna see this movie proceed as seen through flashbacks and than fast-forward and back again - Batman Begins style? OR do you just wanna see it all play out, from beginning to end?...

I for one, would actually just wanna sit back and enjoy the whole journey, from beginning to end. Just like it played out with Dick Donners original film. Be there from the opening scene on Krypton. See baby Kal-El barely make it out of the doomed planet alive and than just go at it from there, following him and his journey every little step of the way.

While I Love the way they did it within Batman Begins, I'm not sure that this is how I (if I could choose) would wanna see it play out in MOS:huh: However though, something just tells me that MOS, like Begins, will also be cut up in flashbacks and such, until the first half of the film has gone by. I'm not saying that this won't work out fine. Just not sure that this is how I would prefer it. I BELIEVE that to truly get in to the psyche of this character, and also to really feel for this superpowered human, they need to let Us follow him from beginning to end. Seeing kid Clark go through all these struggles/conflicts/fears WITHOUT any interuptions by pulling us out of the flow, which could happen with to many flashback-cuts.

I wasn't all that emotionally involved with Bruce Wayne in Begins. Make no mistake, I thought it was badass as hell! But with Superman, I really wanna feel for him. I wanna be emotionally invested in a much stronger way. If this proves to be possible, then this movie has already won! Cause the majority of the worldwide audience will NOT be seeing this coming.

How do you guys feel about all this? How do you personally wanna see this whole ting executed? Flashbacks. Yes. No? Why?

Last edited:
Since day one, even before the Goyer/Nolan announcement, I assumed it would be done with flashbacks.

Either way would be awsome, although i think it will be shown in flasbacks due to grown-up Clark looking at the school bus coming down the alley. That will lead into a flashback of young Clark and the schoolbus incident. I am really looking forward to see how the movie is built up, i'm just not sure if i want to know before seing the movie!

Man, i can't wait for this film!

If done well flashbacks are ok...but I'd love to see a story like this be told straight forward...but either or

I think maybe it will go from straight forward told Krypton arc to Clark as a grown up, while his upbringing is told via flashbacks.

Pretty sure the origin is being done mostly via flashbacks.

I'd love for it to be straight forward but I think some of this will be told via flashbacks.

Yea I'm with you naite....I like straight forward orgins.....it takes me out a bit during flashbacks. It's cool because it adds to suspence in the film, but for me it takes the care out of the character, just a bit

I would actually like to see if Snyder can pull off both. Yes we see the bulk of what happened with Jor-El and Zod on Krypton at the front of the movie, but some things are left "untold" and left to be filled in by Zod, possibly him "revealing the truth of what really happened" to Kal-El as a way to justify his actions. There's a good deal of character development potential there, I think.

It would be both sort of, like in BB. You'd have Clark going sould-searching in the present while reflecting on his past showing where he comes from and where he's going.

I'd find a traditional straightforward origin kinda boring tbh. We usually always see that. And the flashbacks possibly intercut with Krypton-scenes can make for some exiting narration.

Not a big fan of flashbacks in general. They can be good when done right, but when done poorly they are showstopping moments of boredom and they break narrative buildup.

I think it'll be flashbacks, if only because that's how its almost portrayed in the trailer, with the school bus drowing, Pa Kent's 'You have to keep this side of yourself a secret' cutting to adult Clark watching a school bus drive by, practically taking a step back at the sight of it. In the film I can see us beginning with adult Clark, seeing the school bus, cutting to the accident followed by the 'Maybe' talk.

I don't see the scenes on Krypton being broken up into separate parts.I think the childhood scenes will.If the Krypton and childhood scenes be broken up into separate parts, it's going to confuse the hell out of people.

If the movie don't start off with krypton, then we will see a 20 to 25 minute krypton flashback from jor-el perspective when he visit him in the fortress.

Something like that. I could see the first act ending with Jor-El in the FOS telling Clark about his past, showing some great scenes from Krypton. And then possibly opening the second act with Zod and co approaching earth.

I think the movie might open with a quick intense glimpse of a partially destroyed Krypton.

Actually. IF they make like ONE flashback, they might just bring in the best of both worlds. Both flaskback and straight forward storytelling, without sensing that you're kinda drawn a bit out of the feel of actually going through all of this stuff with Clark. That's the "feel" I do not wanna sense disturbed... Anyways. Say the movie starts with Clark working the oil-rig. Actually, it could start off with something as simple as this:

After all the logos (warner bros. Legendary pictures. DC, etc.)
Screen fades up to the camera panning directly down over a quiet ocean. Everything is silent. The camera keeps panning over the ocean view, but starts to tilt upwards. Suddenly right in the middle of this huge silent ocean, with no land in sight, we see something on fire in the midst of things. Things are very silent (you could have some credits fade in over it as this is going on. anything BUT the title it self!) We're still very far away, so the audience can't really make out what exactly it is that's on fire. But as the camera draws Us in closer and closer, it becomes clear that this is an oil-rig. When almost right there, the camera dives under water, tilting upwards, and we see debris and stuff on fire falling to the surface. Everything is still almost silent. Audio is heard just like it would be when having your head under water... Suddenly, a man comes falling in to the ocean, right into the camera. It's Clark. We see him, as seen in the trailer, floating there, with is eyes closed. This is where I would see the flashback come in to play. We're taken in to space, and on to Krypton. From there on, I wouldn't wanna have any interuptions in the way the story is told, UNTIL we as the audience actually catches up to that sequence on the oil-rig. Where of course we see how it all went to ****, seeing all the action that happened because of that. Up until that point, I wish for straight forward storytelling. Than the oil sequence will ensue at some point in the film. We see things from Clark's perspective, following him fall in to the ocean. Seeing him open his eyes under water, and wham! We've been brought up to speed.

If they did it in a way like that, than I could take in a flashback, because it wouldn't take me out of the story, as a flashback would ensue already at the very beginning of the film, setting things up. I really hope they don't cut it all up in to little pieces, like they did it in Begins (which still worked great for that film, do not get me wrong). I think MOS needs to take a bit of a different approach in that area, to kinda set it apart from Batman Begins in its structure of storytelling - Cause God knows that there will already be enough Nolan spirit surrouding MOS as it is. So for MOS to feel somewhat different, and not just be a "blue-print" of the sure thing they did in Begins, I hope to see it unfold different then how Begins was executed.

The very clever way of how Nolan chose to edit the journey of Bruce Wayne's exit from his city, to his back-from-the-dead return to Gotham seven years later worked very good for that film. But still, when seeing it today, it doesn't quite feel like you took that journey with him. You're not quite there WITH him. The way Nolan did it in Begins, it more felt like someone had been given an assignment to guide the audience through his journey to his return to Gotham. And THAN the movie started. it was More like someone just breaking the prior down for Us. Explaining to Us how he came about. And it succeeds. The assignment is carried out great. We understand it. But still, it's not actually following him in that sense. It's more like Us being Told About it. Don't know if I'M making any sense, but I hope so. What I didn't quite feel with Begins, I wanna FEEL when seeing MOS.

Last edited:
I think there's gonna definitely be flashbacks but I'm not sure how the Krypton stuff comes into play.

I hope Krypton doesn't come into play until Clark finds out for himself. All we need to know is that Clark was a special kid with special powers. Only once he unveils the truth of his origin should the audience be exposed to the Krypton stuff.

The audience should take the spiritual journey along with Clark, not be reduced to spectators.

I hope Krypton doesn't come into play until Clark finds out for himself. All we need to know is that Clark was a special kid with special powers. Only once he unveils the truth of his origin should the audience be exposed to the Krypton stuff.

The audience should take the spiritual journey along with Clark, not be reduced to spectators.

Not bad.

After listening to David S. Goyer talk about fleshing out krypton and Russell Crowe having alot of screen time, I think the movie start on krypton.

It would be both sort of, like in BB. You'd have Clark going sould-searching in the present while reflecting on his past showing where he comes from and where he's going.

I'd find a traditional straightforward origin kinda boring tbh. We usually always see that. And the flashbacks possibly intercut with Krypton-scenes can make for some exiting narration.

That is correct.

Imo, i'd prefer straight forward story telling this time around. I don't think they should go with the batman begins route with MOS. But we'll find out soon enough.

Has there been any word as to whether we'll see Lana Lang and Pete Ross in Clark's youth? Even if they were minor roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"