Football (Soccer)

It looks like things are really coming together and just in time for a home tournament. Outside of England, Germany are one of the teams I’m supporting, and they have absolutely top quality young attacking players in Wirtz and Musiala. Add to that the experience of Gundogan and Kroos and Rudiger at the back and they are going to be very hard to beat with home support and already strong momentum.
Yeah, it is just in time. If I recall correctly, their friendly play last year was abysmal. They only just started to come back together the start of this year. Considering how it coincides with their new head coach Nagelsmann coming on last fall, I'm guessing he is the one to thank.

Yeah, it is just in time. If I recall correctly, their friendly play last year was abysmal. They only just started to come back together the start of this year. Considering how it coincides with their new head coach Nagelsmann coming on last fall, I'm guessing he is the one to thank.
Germany were considerably lower in the bookie’s odds to win here and have consistently risen under Nagelsmann. They are up to third favourite now - edit, wow just checked and they just went up to joint favourites with France and England after today’s match!

He is very high quality when you look at the managers of the other top international teams like Gareth Southgate (England), Roberto Martinez (Portugal), Luis de la Fuente Castillo (Spain) and Didier Deschamps (France) and the only one of those that could be in contention for one of the biggest jobs in club management. It makes a massive difference!

I coincidentally made my last FIFA squad all Gold Rare Germany players (helps with chemistry with more players from the same national team and same league/team) so I feel more of a bond to them than I otherwise would. :funny:

Germany were considerably lower in the bookie’s odds to win here and have consistently risen under Nagelsmann. They are up to third favourite now - edit, wow just checked and they just went up to joint favourites with France and England after today’s match!

He is very high quality when you look at the managers of the other top international teams like Gareth Southgate (England), Roberto Martinez (Portugal), Luis de la Fuente Castillo (Spain) and Didier Deschamps (France) and the only one of those that could be in contention for one of the biggest jobs in club management. It makes a massive difference!

I coincidentally made my last FIFA squad all Gold Rare Germany players (helps with chemistry with more players from the same national team and same league/team) so I feel more of a bond to them than I otherwise would. :funny:
Yeah, he was head coach at Bayern Munich until he got sacked only a year into the job. Their loss is the national team's gain. It is interesting because most past German national coaches have been older and only turned to coaching after serious playing careers. Seems his career ended before it even started due to injuries.

Yeah, he was head coach at Bayern Munich until he got sacked only a year into the job. Their loss is the national team's gain. It is interesting because most past German national coaches have been older and only turned to coaching after serious playing careers. Seems his career ended before it even started due to injuries.
Hmm, didn't know that about his playing career. Looks like he didn't even make a senior professional appearance, poor guy. Maybe that added to his determination to succeed as a manager.

National team jobs aren't the best jobs for the best football managers as you're doing F all for a large part of the time compared to club management and usually paid less. You only usually get the best managers taking up these jobs when they have already won everything they want to win in club football and made the money they want, and then have that patriotic call to win something for their country too before they call it a day, so as a result if they're good they are usually older. Most national coaches are the level below elite and as a result for them the national team job can be as good as the equivalent club job they could get, or they came through with links to the lower levels like Under 21.

Nagelsmann is a unique exception and could be the trump card Germany need at exactly the right time. He is at the least an equaliser with the preexisting favourites along with home support and talent that wasn't being used effectively in the past. I realise Wirtz has only just come on the scene (what a player!) but Musiala isn't new, and many of the others are veterans so the previous manager should have done better. I was kind of shocked when looking for German players on FIFA at how many more good ones there were than I thought. I mean I knew them all, just didn't realise there were so many when you put them all together.

Some give Deschamps a lot of credit but I don't think one tournament win is all that great a haul when you've had the best team for multiple consecutive tournaments and have gone out to Switzerland and given one away completely to Argentina by sitting back (managerial failing IMO) and playing out of character in the final. All the other teams needed to outperform to have a realistic shot at a trophy while France just needed to play to their standard potential and they could have won multiple tournaments.

Order of play for Thursday:

Slovenia vs Serbia (hopefully a draw if England can win later (would guarantee we finish top of the group))
Denmark vs England
Spain vs Italy!!

Yeah Spain v Italy is like the perfect Chocolate fudge cake with cream after the Sunday Roast of Denmark v England.

Serbia Slovenia up now. Hopefully it finishes a 3-3 draw.

Slovenia take the lead with just over 20 mins to go!!

Oh gosh, 96th minute equaliser by Serbia. Poor Slovenia, so close to their first ever Euros win and must have thought they'd done enough. So an England win would mean guaranteed top of the group and could rest players or try others out who haven't had a chance.

Foden off balance and the shot goes wide but pushes into the box well ahead of his marker. Hopefully that is a sign that he'll get a bit more joy today and we'll see more glimpses of the Foden we know.

Kannnneeeeee!!! Feels so good to have him back on the scoresheet.

Denmark make it 1-1 with an incredible long range drilled shot. Another beauty to add to the list.

Denmark level - wasn't looking at the screen properly when it happened, just got my head up to see it go in off the bar. Damn.

1-1 HT - Much for England to ponder, Denmark probably shaded it and we have been poor in out passing and moving forward, not really created much since our goal. Still could go either way at the moment.

1-1 HT - Much for England to ponder, Denmark probably shaded it and we have been poor in out passing and moving forward, not really created much since our goal. Still could go either way at the moment.
England just can’t seem to play once they score a goal.

England just can’t seem to play once they score a goal.
Feels a lot like watching United to be honest. Decent for 10/15 mins of games but invite a lot of pressure on themselves after that. Not really sure what the tactics are and also our general passing is just poor and giving away the ball far too easily. Needs improvement thats for sure. The side doesnt look very balanced either with everything going down the right hand side only.

Gallagher on for Trent again. Hopefully we can get some energy going and get a proper press so Denmark can't dictate the flow of the game.

Feels a lot like watching United to be honest. Decent for 10/15 mins of games but invite a lot of pressure on themselves after that. Not really sure what the tactics are and also our general passing is just poor and giving away the ball far too easily. Needs improvement thats for sure. The side doesnt look very balanced either with everything going down the right hand side only.
Need to have an outlet with pace on the left that sticks to the left, Gordon or Eze. Wonder if Bowen has a chance of featuring again or maybe Palmer.

Foden hits the post. All his good contributions come from the middle.

Watkins, Bowen and Eze about to come on (for Kane, Foden and Saka).

All very nervy from England at the moment Foden, Kane and Saka off, just not working for them other than the goal for Kane early on.

1-1 final score. Not a great performance. Can't go too crazy resting players in that case.

Well that was a damp squibb in the end, somehow worse than the first game, second half looked just as average as the first and sat back for long periods of time, other than Fodens effort Im not sure we had another shot. With better composure in the final third Denmark should have seen us off. I mean we are pretty much their in terms of qualification but its not very encouraging at the moment, team needs some changes next game and much more forward thinking but Im not sure Southgate does that. Somehow England are involved in the two worst games of the tournament so far with all this attacking flair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"