Football (Soccer)

Now we have seen everyone play at least once or twice now it seems like this is a very open Euro's with a lot of sides with the potential of winning it as I dont think there is a "great" side in it like Spain 08-12 or France of the 98-04 era. Yes teams like Germany and Spain have looked the best and have their advantages over other sides like being at home or most talented youth but it does seem like anything is possible, one of those could win it easily enough and they will both no doubt go far but once you get to the knockouts things change and nerves increase.

This could be a year we get a surprise winner such as a Greece or Denmark type, teams like Romania, Turkey and Austria have played some really good stuff here and look more of a team than some more established sides, pressing higher and playing much quicker, if they get through, get a nice draw they could start to believe its possible, heck the last two winners Italy and Portugal were not well fancied going into the competition so its not always the "best" side that wins this, its what what makes international comps much more fun than club football sometime as they at least feel a lot more open and unpredictable and not all about who can spend the most money on the top talent to dominate.

Georgia 1-0 Penalty on the stroke of half time dispatched nicely to give the minnows the lead slightly against the run of play but massive for them.

Georgia 1-0 Penalty on the stroke of half time dispatched nicely to give the minnows the lead slightly against the run of play but massive for them.
Haha, can’t believe Georgia winning. I missed all of the first half. Will tune in for the second.

1-1 Czech's level thanks to Schick bundles it in to keep them alive in the comp.

Schick right place, right time to finish from a rebound. Let’s see if Georgia can provide resistance for the rest of the match. Really glad they’ve made this into a match at least.

Ends in a 1-1 draw after Georgia miss a guilt edge chance with the last kick of the game but as it is its a good point for both sides and they are both still alive in the group going into the last games.

Ends in a 1-1 draw after Georgia miss a guilt edge chance with the last kick of the game but as it is its a good point for both sides and they are both still alive in the group going into the last games.
That last miss from Georgia was painful to watch. I can't even imagine being in that position of representing my country at that stage, having basically a penalty kick level chance in the final seconds to win the game for my country (and how big that would be for Georgia) only to bottle it completely and not even hit the goal. He must be gutted.

Portugal 2-0 up against Turkey. Was thinking it might be closer.

3-0\
a little embarrassing how easy that one looked.

Ronaldo didn’t shoot! Lays it off to Bernardo to slot it, 3-0!

Arda Guler coming on. Such a shame he couldn’t start and only coming on when it’s 3-0.

3-0 final score. One more pre-tournament favourite starting to motor. England and France need to step up now on that side of the draw after Germany, Spain and Portugal have made a start.

Belgium vs Romania up next. It will be good to get another look at Romania to see if they are as good as the previous match suggested or if it was a one off, and to see if Belgium have fight left to stop themselves potentially going out. If they lose they will be in a terrible position as the next lowest team in the group has 3 points already.

Well Belgium show they are up for it right at the start and get a goal through Tielemans!

Portugal were very good and look like a dangerous side, they have a lot of attacking and midfield flair, they also have finishers that other teams dont, with Ronaldo, Silva, Bruno, Jota and all they will scare most defences here. Going to be a hard team to beat thats fir sure for anyone.

Belgium look a bit better so far, need to get another goal though to make sure as the group is looking a close one.

That last miss from Georgia was painful to watch. I can't even imagine being in that position of representing my country at that stage, having basically a penalty kick level chance in the final seconds to win the game for my country (and how big that would be for Georgia) only to bottle it completely and not even hit the goal. He must be gutted.
He looked like he had just missed a pen in a shootout. That would have been a crazy end for Georgia again in their game but at least in their favour this time had he managed to compose himself.

Finally Lukaku scores! Feels like he's already had a tournament worth of misses before getting this one so it should be a huge relief.

No way, another Lukaku goal disallowed! Is that 3 or 4 now he's had ruled out altogether?!!

VAR rules out another Lukaku goal, he would be leading scorer without VAR. :funny:

Portugal were very good and look like a dangerous side, they have a lot of attacking and midfield flair, they also have finishers that other teams dont, with Ronaldo, Silva, Bruno, Jota and all they will scare most defences here. Going to be a hard team to beat thats fir sure for anyone.

Belgium look a bit better so far, need to get another goal though to make sure as the group is looking a close one.
Portugal are another team alongside Spain and Germany who look miles ahead of England at the moment. Lucky for us they should all stay on the other side of the draw.

That VAR offside decision was a shocker, literally a kneecap in the wrong place, terrible decision that to rule out a goal for that. Starting to feel a bit for lukaku for some of the decisions against him now.

Portugal are another team alongside Spain and Germany who look miles ahead of England at the moment. Lucky for us they should all stay on the other side of the draw.
Lets just hope we dont mess up out last game and end up on that side of the draw. That would be very England. :funny: :hehe:

Lets just hope we dont mess up out last game and end up on that side of the draw. That would be very England. :funny: :hehe:
If we play like we've done in the previous games outside the opening periods, we can lose to Slovenia. Things need to change or we have no chance of winning the tournament anyway, regardless of if we get through and whether the draw is easy or difficult, but I guess at least eventual champions often start badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"