Football (Soccer)

Netherlands equalise and France take the lead through an Mbappe penalty after what seemed like an unnecessary challenge on Dembele on the edge of the box.

Really **** dancing penalty by Lewandowski lol.

Oh needs to be retaken.

Scores this time - his penalties are so annoying to watch.

1-1 France still haven’t got going in this tournament.

Netherlands only needed a tie here, and they had it twice, yet kept losing it. Crazy back and forth.
Final 2 - 3.
Netherlands drop out, Austria move ahead.

Last edited:
France 1-1 Poland
Netherlands 2-3 Austria (shame I didn't watch that one instead)

That means France are now on the other side of the draw to England after finishing second. Could be very good for England with Spain, Portugal, France and Germany all on the same side. Only downside is now we could get Netherlands in the last 16!

France 1-1 Poland
Netherlands 2-3 Austria (shame I didn't watch that one instead)

That means France are now on the other side of the draw to England after finishing second. Could be very good for England with Spain, Portugal, France and Germany all on the same side. Only downside is now we could get Netherlands in the last 16!
On the flip side I wouldn't even be surprised if England lost tonight! Who do you get in the next game assuming you win?

On the flip side I wouldn't even be surprised if England lost tonight! Who do you get in the next game assuming you win?
I can't figure out how it works. If we top the group we'll meet one of the 3rd placed sides but I'm not sure yet how they allocate which 3rd place team goes into which tie.

This England team look like one of the weakest teams of the tournament so far performance wise. Honestly could see them go next game no matter who they face.

Congrats England, top of their group, though with minimal results on a 0-0. Might not bode that well for them in the knockouts.

Last edited:
That was an absolutely brutal game.

England had so much possession, probably 70%+ if I'd to guess & I think the Slovenian keeper had to make maybe 2 saves & faced maybe, 10 shots? Most of the better periods of England's play came in the second half, the Mainoo arrival helped & then the Palmer arrival helped further.

If you have 70% possession in a football game & you have 10 shots. You're playing negatively, be lucky to go beyond the last 16 playing such dire stuff.

Am I the only one who HATES this trend of female commentators calling the games at big soccer tournaments (eg Euro Cup, World Cup)?

I mean, I'm a pretty woke guy, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Some traditions you just don't mess with.

Am I the only one who HATES this trend of female commentators calling the games at big soccer tournaments (eg Euro Cup, World Cup)?

I mean, I'm a pretty woke guy, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Some traditions you just don't mess with.
I usually don't care as long as they're good but here in Sweden there's been a huge influx of female commentators and experts (probably a 50/50 divide now) and in most cases it just feels painfully obvious that they're not there based on their ability. As long as they're good I don't care but it gets ridiculous when they're just stating the obvious things. If you're gonna have someone just say the most basic stuff like "the ball is round, anything can happen" or "if that shot had gone under the bar it would have been a goal" you might as well scoop someone off the street and put in the commentary booth.

Copa:
(we got refs collapsing on field, from heat exhaustion and goalies coming to the rescue)
8v2c39.gif

Less interesting:
Peru 0-1 Canada
Was not sure what to expect here, though with so few(3), guess it's nice to see another North American team stay in the running.

Argentina 1 - 0 Chile
Chile with Alexi have beaten Argentina before, yet while they held them off for the most part, Argentina had more control and shots, it seemed inevitable one would go in.

Today: Ecuador - Jamaica, Mexico - Venezuela.

Last edited:
Georgia with a surprising :wow: early 2min score 1-0 over Portugal , have them playing quite confidently through the first half.
Though Portugal knowing their already through may not be bringing their best.

Edit:
Georgia collecting on a slight foul combined with a very dramatic dive, get a penalty kick, making it 2-0

End Georgia 2-0 Ronaldo, fantastic upset.

Portugal ranked 6
Georgia is ranked 74 , first time in history for them into the knockouts.

Türkiye 2-0 over Czechia, go through.

Round of 16 now set:
8v4e8u.jpg

Definitely loaded on the right.

Last edited:
Copa:

USA 1-2 Panama
US had a chance hear against Panama, as they were pretty evenly matched, unfortunately Tim Weah (not even in the field of play) throws a straight punch to the head of a Panamanian player. Insta-red, down a man, pretty much cost them the match. Pathetic for the home country to throw it away like this.

Meanwhile:
Uruguay 5-0 Bolivia,
I think everyone expected a win for Uruguay, score speaks for itself. In Bolivia's defense their country was experiencing a little coup d'état, so that might have kept them up the night before. :wow:

With that, now US must beat Uruguay, and/or Panama lose to Bolivia (both unlikely) for US to come out of their group. Unless Uruguay comfortable in their lead, give their starters a rest, and put their B team against US.

Brazil 4-1 Paraguay
After their 0-0 to Costa Rica, this is more like the Brazil we are familiar with

Colombia 3 - 0 Costa Rica
Los Cafeteros continue their insane winning streak. :cwink:

Last edited:
Damn, I’m missing this as the cricket T20 World Cup final is on. Hope Switzerland win well!

. Hope Switzerland win well!
Done!
Switzerland 2 -0 Italy
Italy went to war with the goal post and lost :funny:
Switzerland first through to the final 8, will get either England or Slovakia

Last edited:
Done!
Switzerland 2 -0 Italy
Italy went to war with the goal post and lost :funny:
Switzerland first through to the final 8, will get either England or Slovakia
Shame I missed it, and also missed all of Germany Denmark till now. Really glad Switzerland went through. I was expecting it to be a 50/50 game (had predicted 2-2 and then penalties) but it seems like Switzerland could be a significant threat at this tournament. England will probably be the next big team they dump out. :D.

WTH, don't remember ever seeing this before. Bad weather (hardcore rain/thunder/lightning) stops play. This isn't cricket lol (where weather Fs it up all the time). They are talking about the pitch potentially being affected too and obviously the safety of players and fans re lightning is the first priority. That brings more tactical considerations re staying warmed up and if play changes after the break. I haven't seen the match to date so not sure how well both teams are playing. Good that it's still in the balance so I get to enjoy the rest of it. Would like to see a good attacking game and Germany to make it through in the end.

Oh, hailstones too now lol.

Denmark had the ball in the net but overruled by VAR!

Double VAR benefit for Germany in just a few minutes. They get a penalty through it now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"