Foreign Film People... Thoughts?

Whilst the early stuff was pioneering, they offer little compared to cinema from the expressionist era onwards.

No offense that minimalist outlook is rather limiting and I disagree...

Got that **** covered:

Born to Fight
36th Chamber of Shaolin
Police Story
The City of Violence
Hidden Fortress
Tokyo Drifter
---

I love martial arts films, I love there tragic stories, but bottom line no one beats Asian Cinematography Style, they just rock at it. To everyone take advantage of the Deepdiscountdvd.com 20% sale, it's the only time I buy DVDs, I save hundreds off it.

Word. :up:

My wish-to watch list:
  • Aguirre: Der Zorn Gottes
  • Fitzcarraldo
  • Du rififi chez les hommes
  • Le Samouraï
  • Exiled/Fong Juk
  • The Misson/Cheung Fo
  • The Killer/Dip huet seung hung
  • Shichinin no samurai (I’m curious to see what all the fuss is about)

Just watched "Aguirre: Der Zorn Gottes"... I'm really tired but it was great, very minimalist film, however what it lacks in perhaps lucious sets, it makes up in the many nuances of the various characters... I'll discuss more tommorrow, I'm tired :(

Saw "Election" last night, and no not the Matthew Broderick version :woot:. This movie from Hong Kong is a masterful tale of struggle among a powerful triad gang trying to elect a leader.

Seven Samurai is brilliant, but I prefer Yojimbo and Sanjuro for some reason, I guess because they're "funner" movies and I prefer Mifune's Yojimbo character for his combination of brash, rude slacker and certified badass.

Saw "Election" last night, and no not the Matthew Broderick version :woot:. This movie from Hong Kong is a masterful tale of struggle among a powerful triad gang trying to elect a leader.

Seven Samurai is brilliant, but I prefer Yojimbo and Sanjuro for some reason, I guess because they're "funner" movies and I prefer Mifune's Yojimbo character for his combination of brash, rude slacker and certified badass.

It looks like I need to see some Johnny To films... Alas here in England I don't have any access to newer foreign films :(

I need to watch Yojimbo again, it's been at least 2 years since I last saw it and I barely remember it. :( Have you seen "Ran", what your thoughts on it if you have? I absolutely adore Rashomon, Seven Samurai, and Dreams though because each represents something I particularly like in Kurosawa. Rashomon for it's daring narrative structure and it use of cinematography to enhance that narrative style, for instance the shots of the witnesses telling the story is from the Judge's POV. Seven Samurai is amazing, I've seen it like 3-4 times, I just love the epic feeling of the film, and Toshiro Mifune gives a wonderful performance of such pain through his humor. "Dreams" is absolutely stunning in its beauty.

5159BlywIWL._SS500_.jpg

-The Sergio Leone Anthology
-A Fistful Of Dollars
-For A Few Dollars More
-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
-Duck, You Sucker

:up: :up:

No love for

HBOGAtYa4Go_Pxgen_r_200x300.jpg

:(

Wild Bunch and Pat Garrett are fantastic. From the latter especially, the vibe was amazing. Such a melancholic feel, strengthened by the Dylan soundtrack. I'm gonna watch it again soon. But I do think you really have to be in the mood for it.

I need to watch Yojimbo again, it's been at least 2 years since I last saw it and I barely remember it. :( Have you seen "Ran", what your thoughts on it if you have? I absolutely adore Rashomon, Seven Samurai, and Dreams though because each represents something I particularly like in Kurosawa. Rashomon for it's daring narrative structure and it use of cinematography to enhance that narrative style, for instance the shots of the witnesses telling the story is from the Judge's POV. Seven Samurai is amazing, I've seen it like 3-4 times, I just love the epic feeling of the film, and Toshiro Mifune gives a wonderful performance of such pain through his humor. "Dreams" is absolutely stunning in its beauty.

I loved Ran. Just everything about it. Rashomon was brilliant as well. Loved the storytelling and Mifune is a legend. The only movie of Kurosawa I had trouble with that I've seen is Kagemusha. It was just too slow for me, and being a classics movie buff I usually have a high tolerance for slowly paced movies as long as the story is enjoyable. I bought it so I will give it another chance soon. And I love Kurosawa, I own Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran, Hidden Fortress, and a few others of his. So maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

I loved Ran. Just everything about it. Rashomon was brilliant as well. Loved the storytelling and Mifune is a legend. The only movie of Kurosawa I had trouble with that I've seen is Kagemusha. It was just too slow for me, and being a classics movie buff I usually have a high tolerance for slowly paced movies as long as the story is enjoyable. I bought it so I will give it another chance soon. And I love Kurosawa, I own Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran, Hidden Fortress, and a few others of his. So maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

Ran = wierdest movie experience because I enjoyed it and some of the shots are stunning but it was so slow that I had to watch it over 3 nights. I need to see more Kurosawa, I haven't seen nearly enough. Have you ever seen a film called, Tokyo Drifter before? Also watched Aguirre: The Wrath of God last night by Herzog. Such an odd film and what I mean by that it takes a very different route than say if Hollywood was handling the story. It doesn't take any time to actively judge and condemn Aguirre for what he does, nor does the film try to make it more apathetic. However I think part of the reason the film does work is because of Kinski's portrayal of Aguirre, it's not over-the-top, it's vicious but not to the point where you reasonably hate him, it's a very interesting film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"