Fox Planning a PG-13 Deadpool 2 Theatrical Release

Blade X

Sidekick
Reaction score
Respectfully both I and Grace Randolph have been saying that FOX should have done this with both DP movies from the very beginning and many of you on this forum and others said that it wouldn't happen and that it was a stupid idea (as well as throwing insults at Grace). Well it looks like someone at FOX (or Disney) agrees with us since they are reported to be planning on releasing a PG-13 cut of DP2. That being said, while I'm all for releasing a PG-13 cut of both DP movies, I don't think that this PG-13 cut will do well at the box office since the film is on home video and streaming services and because most people aren't going to be willing to head to the theater and pay to see a more family friendly PG-13 cut of a movie that (a) they have already seen and/or own and (b) isn't giving us anything new (like brand new scenes). The only way that a PG-13 cut of DP2 can (at the very least) do decent at the box office is for the movie to have several brand new original scenes (especially, action scenes) added to the movie.

REPORT: Fox Planning a PG-13 Deadpool 2 Theatrical Release

I hate this idea. These movies were designed around having an R Rating. Butchering it just to sell it to the little kiddies is incredible distasteful.

I hear the PG release is to help the box office sales in China and other foreign markets.

PG-13 Deadpool is just a small re-release.

From BOT:

Fox is going to make a holiday PG-13 version of Deadpool and Deadpool 2 cut together with new footage and Princess Bride story telling intercuts with Fred Savage.

A test run to see how the audience reacts to a PG13 deadpool before he comes in the MCU.

And that last bit of words were very Wadey of me.

A cut-together film for a foreign market is one thing but to generate buzz the headlines keep saying new Deadpool movie coming December as if Fox secretly recorded a full movie for a full-on theatrical release.

I think this is a cheap gimmick and essentially bit brown-nosey too and also seems to suggest R-Rated comic films featuring Marvel characters should never be made right after they got done making a couple.

A test run to see how the audience reacts to a PG13 deadpool before he comes in the MCU.

And that last bit of words were very Wadey of me.
Reynolds, Feige, and Iger have confirmed they will keep Pool R. This was a hasty decision by Fox to have something out for X-Mas.

Reynolds, Feige, and Iger have confirmed they will keep Pool R. This was a hasty decision by Fox to have something out for X-Mas.

I wonder if the rerelease decision wasn't the result of Fox having to yank the creepy-looking Alita out of theaters and needing something, anything to replace it. Perhaps they had to honor an agreement with the exhibitors. Not that it matters in the long run since the studio will cease to exist sometime in the new year. But moving Alita left 2,000+ theaters empty, so why not squeeze a few more bucks out of their one profitable franchise?

Iger said there was and I quote an "opportunity" for Deadpool to stay r rated.

"It [Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool," said Iger. "As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

He honestly doesn't sound too keen on the idea. "we think we can manage that fine"? Lets be real. We all knew this was going to happen. There was no way Deadpool was going to stay r rated.

Last edited:
Yeah, hard pass on this one. But I am interested in seeing those scenes with Fred Savage when they hit YouTube.

Let's be honest for a second. DP, despite what some fans might think or want to believe, was NOT originally created for adults and was not originally intended to be R rated. If the first 2 movies were PG-13 they would have still been huge hits (and might have done even better at the box office). The bottom line is that the appeal of DP is not the gore/blood,profanity,sex,or nudity, it's the humor. Take away the humor and DP is nothing more than Wolverine crossed with Midnight Sun,Taskmaster,Deathstroke,and Snake-Eyes.

I'm down for this. As much as I love DP, the events of the "International Women's Day" scene was something that I could have done without. I'd be more than happy to purchase a DVD without that.

Over said dp will remain r-rated. Disney has nothing to do with that anyway. It's Fixable call because dp 2 relatively underperformed despite having twice the budget. There is no conspiracy theory people.

It's a low cost way of testing the water. Movie has been shot, effects are done, all you're doing is re-cutting it for TV essentially. All they have to do at the theater is cover the cost of re-editing, and marketing. Then they can monitor the buzz to see what comes of it. Added bonus is parents don't get as squeamish about letting kids watch it, and all of a sudden they sell more toys.

It was 'R'. It should be 'R'. Conventional thinking would be 'R' doesn't sell toys, it annoys parents groups. It also means when or if DP comes into the MCU, parents of kids who see him pop up in a PG-13, have a PG-13 to show them.

So funny that Fox did this. That should throw water on the upcoming revisionist history we will be getting in the years to come about how awesome and brave Fox was to make an R rated DP. (with a small budget...the part that always gets left out)

Let's be honest for a second. DP, despite what some fans might think or want to believe, was NOT originally created for adults and was not originally intended to be R rated. If the first 2 movies were PG-13 they would have still been huge hits (and might have done even better at the box office). The bottom line is that the appeal of DP is not the gore/blood,profanity,sex,or nudity, it's the humor. Take away the humor and DP is nothing more than Wolverine crossed with Midnight Sun,Taskmaster,Deathstroke,and Snake-Eyes.

Agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"