• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns Animated

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Why are you asking that?!

Also...

Best Buy
wwwmo.jpg

vs.
DC Direct/ DC Collectibles
2099088532_c99fef647a.jpg

vs
Mattel
dkr.jpg

Last edited:
Now with the label gone, the DC Animated features will be moved to the Warner Home Video department with Warner Bros. Animation producing. So have no fear, since we’ll still be getting our beloved DC adaptations.

Ahhh.. much happier now. I was legit scared, hoping for Long Halloween.

Still, if the sales don't improve the studio may be cancelled soon.

Still, if the sales don't improve the studio may be cancelled soon.

Which is why it frusfrates me how many people just download these movies and acting like they're fans to this.

Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne) and Ariel Winter (Robin/Carrie Kelley), David Selby (Commissioner Gordon), producer Bruce Timm, etc. all attended the Los Angeles premiere on Monday, September 24th.
2901359e06db11e2a7ed220.jpg

arielwinterbatmanthedar.jpg

Here are reports from Los Angeles.

DARK KNIGHT RETURNS Cast and Crew Talk Adapting a Classic
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 25 September 2012

"It was really tough," executive producer Bruce Timm said, at a premiere event Monday at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills, of translating Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns art into animation. "It's always hard. This one was probably the hardest."

Bruce Timm described the visuals of the source material as brilliant, but not consistent, so settling on a model for the Dark Knight Returns Batman was a process of trial and error. "We found ourselves saying, 'I thought that shot looked different,'" Timm said. "It's weird, the comic book doesn't look the way you remembered it from the way you looked at it in 1986."

Screenwriter Bob Goodman wrote the screenplay for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and said that he didn't have any restrictions in terms of bringing the edgier content of the comic onto the screen. "Nothing was censored," Bob Goodman said. "There was no point at any time in the process where I was told, 'You're not allowed to do that.'" There are some inevitable alterations in moving from one medium to another — Bob Goodman called it restructuring — and those involved indicated that the finished product benefitted from it.

"Some of Batman's best lines in the book, in his inner monologues, are in the middle of the fight scenes," Bruce Timm said. "It's really hard to do that." Instead, some of the narration became dialogue, and some of it was cut entirely. "The ideas are there without the words," Bob Goodman said.

Ariel Winter called voicing Carrie Kelley a "huge honor. Ever since I was little, I always wanted to play a badass character. I really like that about Robin, she doesn't shy away from anything."

Peter Weller said, "There's a morality in this." Weller, who is finishing a Ph.D. in Italian Renaissance art history at UCLA, called Frank Miller "part of a remarkable legacy of American art. If you consider pulps and comics art. Which I do."

Andrea Romano took time to point out the sheer number of actors in The Dark Knight Returns. Romano also discussed her satisfaction with the flow of dialogue between characters, even though all actors recorded their lines separately. "The opening scene with Gordon and Bruce Wayne was probably recorded a month apart," Romano said. "I thought it worked brilliantly, but it's a testament to what good actors these two are."

"It was imperative for me as Gordon to rely on Andrea (Romano), (Jay Oliva) and Bruce (Timm)," said David Selby. "They have been down this road."

Director Jay Oliva commented on an added scene with a liquor store magazine rack shown carrying comic books of Swamp Thing #73 (1988) cover by John Totleben, Sandman #1 (1989) cover by Dave McKean, V For Vendetta (1990) TPB cover by David Lloyd, Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 (1985) cover by George Perez and Watchmen #1 (1986) cover by Dave Gibbons.
tumblrmasc32xsve1rhw7ck.jpg

tumblrmasc32xsve1rhw7ck.jpg

"When we were designing the backgrounds, they had a rack for magazines," Oliva said. "I asked everyone for their favorite comic from the '80s." The director explained, to laughs, that he made it clear that Marvel comics were exempt.
Frank Miller has a scene with a newsstand in the third issue of Dark Knight Returns, "Hunt The Dark Knight," where Superman flies by a newsstand so fast he blows the newspapers and magazines off the newsstand, including 'Mazing Man and Swamp Thing comics.
imgvar.jpg
mazingmanlogo.jpg
swampthinglogo.gif

About the '80s influenced synthesizer score, composer Christopher Drake commented that a similar approach was used for the adaptation of Batman: Year One. "You really just embrace it. There were times when normally I would have used an orchestra, but I committed to that '80s thing."
http://www.newsarama.com/tv/dark-knight-returns-animated-event-recap.html
Christoper Drake discussed using genuine analog synthesizers for the music. One of his influences was John Carpenter's Escape from New York (1981).
https://twitter.com/paleycenter/status/250450477597220866
David Selby said, "It's amazing how touching some of these scenes are."
https://twitter.com/davidselbycom/status/250443032032317440
The general and Bruce's flashbacks greatly moved David Selby.
https://twitter.com/davidselbycom/status/250444376751353856
Peter Weller said, "I was struck by how splendid and inventive the shots were. And the music by Chris Drake is remarkable."
https://twitter.com/davidselbycom/status/250443640978169856
Peter Weller said, "The music could be really entertaining but corny. But it's really entertaining and provocative. It's smart."
https://twitter.com/davidselbycom/status/250444174069993472
Peter Weller said, "I watch so many films where the music is intrusive, trying to tell me what to feel. Chris' music is provocative."
https://twitter.com/davidselbycom/status/250443872029786113

Here are more interviews with Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne), screenwriter Bob Goodman, voice director Andrea Romano, David Selby (Commissioner Gordon), director Jay Oliva and producer Bruce Timm at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles on September 24th, 2012.
[YT]OI6uhggRReQ[/YT]
Here are more interviews with director Jay Oliva, David Selby (Commissioner Gordon), voice director Andrea Romano, screenwriter Bob Goodman, and Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne) at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]QTYJYhpc_wY[/YT]
Here are even more interviews with producer Bruce Timm, Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne), voice director Andrea Romano and David Selby (Commissioner Gordon) at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]HmwR0xB-JI0[/YT]
Here are more interviews with Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne), producer Bruce Timm, David Selby (Commissioner Gordon) and director Jay Oliva at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]iaSGZK2xUpM[/YT]
Here are more interviews with voice director Andrea Romano, director Jay Oliva, Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne), David Selby (Commissioner Gordon), screenwriter Bob Goodman and producer Bruce Timm at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]4rzKlkIsS3s[/YT]
Here's another Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]IhcgSG-fXfI[/YT]
Here's another Peter Weller (Batman/Bruce Wayne) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]KwOpX8tIYcQ[/YT]
[YT]oo5xK78kSkI[/YT]
Here's a Ariel Winter (Robin/Carrie Kelley) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]z3WkuOhRstY[/YT]
Here's another Ariel Winter (Robin/Carrie Kelley) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]kKn4D1zbabM[/YT]
Here's another David Selby (Commissioner Gordon) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]M0RHBYfTsdQ[/YT]
Here's another David Selby (Commissioner Gordon) interview at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]oCbZU5oV7UI[/YT]
Here's another interview with producer Bruce Timm at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]bmxzDusLj-M[/YT]
Here's another interview with producer Bruce Timm at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]NicUgHOTqWc[/YT]
[YT]EO1-NhWpRFM[/YT]
Here's another interview with screenwriter Bob Goodman at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]oGJ-tc6w_IY[/YT]
Here's another interview with screenwriter Bob Goodman at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]6qtvu3RPtu8[/YT]
[YT]uUULCywC5pU[/YT]
Here's an interview with director Jay Oliva at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]HD26xJ9ZZ6Y[/YT]
Here's another interview with director Jay Oliva at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]h1dmXpFg7ww[/YT]
Here's another interview with director Jay Oliva at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]e16uO5hmAgw[/YT]
Here's another interview with voice director Andrea Romano at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]imaZHv4DaRE[/YT]
Here's another interview with voice director Andrea Romano at the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Part 1 premiere at the Paley Center in Los Angeles.
[YT]Hw-rZtDJVKQ[/YT]
[YT]mTkNBuLDgps[/YT]

Last edited:
Isn't there DC animated movies on Netflix still or is it all Marvel? I'd figure making a deal with Netflix would help sustain their animation financially.

so before i saw this i totally thought Gordon was Oliver Queen based on the stills (cuz of the hair and stache)

Could someone please PM me the sneak peek of Dark Knight Returns Part 2? Pleaasee :)

I finally got to watch it today.... did anyone NOT like what they've done? I absolutely LOVED it. I was very impressed with everything.

Michael mother****ing Emerson. :up:

No. Why are you asking that?!

Also...
Best Buy
wwwmo.jpg

vs.
DC Direct/ DC Collectibles
2099088532_c99fef647a.jpg

vs
Mattel
dkr.jpg
To be honest, none of those figures capture Batman from the book perfectly. Admittedly that is kind of difficult because his look actually changes throughout the course of it. The best one that I've seen would probably be the black and white statues based on Miller's work:

8214_b_full.jpg

0912_dcc_bmbw.jpg

Just finished watching this. Voiceover work was top notch. Great animation.

Only thing that bothered me were the CG vehicles (I know they have a limited budget for these things, but it's so distracting.).

Excellent adaptation nonetheless. 10/10

Oh, and the score is fantastic. Probably one of the best Batman themes I've ever heard. It's very electronic like Zimmer, but also very gothic and orchestral like Elfman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nST978EmHjY
[YT]nST978EmHjY[/YT]

[YT]coZl461GZv4[/YT]

I'm not really creeped out too much by The Joker, or Michael Emerson, but...damn. That creeped me the hell out. I had to back away from the screen a few inches. :wow:

I think, combined with the source material and Michael Emerson's creepy...(*shivers*)...performance, this is probably going to be one of the most, if not the most, unsettling portrayal of The Joker we've ever seen, animated or live-action.

Yeah, animation wise I think Emerson will be a great successor to Mark Hamil.

Bought it yesterday, and I'm happy to have this in my Blu-Ray collection. I re-read the comic and I'm excited to see the execution of part 2. Especially for the Joker.

Saw this one yesterday.
Loved it. Can't wait for part 2.

I like the fact that they based the look of the characters on Miller's art. Hopefully if WB ever decided to make Batman : A Long Halloween and Batman : Dark Victory , they'll use a similar tactic.

Also was it just me or did have have a speed racer reference during the beginning of the race :huh:

Best Batman animated film, hands down.

And wheres the love for Peter Weller? I thought his Batman was/is the best since Kevin Conroy. Loved his take on Batman. Would love to see him in more Batman animated films.

Saw this one yesterday.
Loved it. Can't wait for part 2.

I like the fact that they based the look of the characters on Miller's art. Hopefully if WB ever decided to make Batman : A Long Halloween and Batman : Dark Victory , they'll use a similar tactic.

I hope if they do Long Halloween that it will be two..maybe three parts long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"