Comics Friendly Neighborhood Recommendations

Nicko-Ray

Madness
Reaction score
Hey guys. Figure I start a thread for Spidey recommendations. And for ppl who have questions, etc.

I'll start! Best Kraven arcs/trades/etc? I've read LAST HUNT a long time ago but am gonna revisit. Other than that, what do you guys got? (also read HUNTED too, which is solid.)

Man I think you named the only two good stories with him. Lol

Granted hunted was nothing special but it was still really good. It’s even better when you sit and read it in one sitting. Still could have been an issue or two shorter though.

KLH is an all time classic and I wouldn’t debate anyone who claimed it as their favorite story ever.

Other then that though I never particularly enjoyed anything else with him.

Which Spider-Man story do you recommend to people who are interested in the character?

For me it’s always “Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut”. That two parter (ASM 229-230) is far and away my favorite Spider-Man story ever and perfectly defines what makes the character so special. It’s the first story that comes to mind when someone asks me what to read regarding Spider-Man. There are plenty of classic Spider-Man stories from The death of Gwen Stacy, the sin eater arc, klh and so on....However ASM 229-230 stands above the pack and it’s not even remotely close IMO. The iconic perfect David/Goliath story.

Man I think you named the only two good stories with him. Lol

Granted hunted was nothing special but it was still really good. It’s even better when you sit and read it in one sitting. Still could have been an issue or two shorter though.

KLH is an all time classic and I wouldn’t debate anyone who claimed it as their favorite story ever.

Other then that though I never particularly enjoyed anything else with him.
LOL. Aw man, really? Thought there'd be more. Isn't there "First Hunt"? UWH in the other thread was also talking about GRIM HUNT but not sure if that was well-received..

I always recommend the following:

Amazing Spider-Man #248 "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"
Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut
Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys
Spider-Man: Son of the Goblin
Amazing Fantasy #15
Amazing Spider-Man 1-38 (it's really the one that matters the most...yes, I consider it one story. Don't judge me)
Spider-Man Blue

I always recommend the following:

Amazing Spider-Man #248 "The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man"
Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut
Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man/ Human Torch: I'm With Stupid
Spider-Man: Death of the Stacys
Spider-Man: Son of the Goblin
Amazing Fantasy #15
Amazing Spider-Man 1-38 (it's really the one that matters the most...yes, I consider it one story. Don't judge me)
Spider-Man Blue

You are going to have to put Spider-Man life story on that as well when it’s over with lol. Blue might have to step aside for best mini series ever in Spider-Man

LOL. Aw man, really? Thought there'd be more. Isn't there "First Hunt"? UWH in the other thread was also talking about GRIM HUNT but not sure if that was well-received..

I might check out GRim Hunt. Never read it as I dropped Spider-Man around that time .

Personally I did not enjoy Grim Hunt. As far as Kraven goes, he wasn't really that much of a noteworthy villain. KLH changed that.

Personally I did not enjoy Grim Hunt. As far as Kraven goes, he wasn't really that much of a noteworthy villain. KLH changed that.

I don't honestly dig any Kraven stories post Last Hunt, and I can't really name one Goblin story since Gwen's death that truly warrants his resurrection. Something about when I was reading back in the day. There was the time before Gwen's death, and the time after Gwen's death. Bringing Norman back just kind of cheapened the whole deal.

KLH comes after/takes place after GRIM HUNT? Or before?

KLH was written in 1987. It was the first story or one of the first after Peter and MJ were married.

Grim Hunt was written post OMD. I wanna say it was around 2008-09. I can't remember exactly. But it was a story that tried to bring back Kraven in a meaningful way. Imo, it didn't.

Yes, I agree. Norman should have stayed dead.

The only stories I've enjoyed since he came back were the "Death in the Family" and Marvel Knights Spider-Man arcs. And those weren't memorable enough to warrant him coming back. I liked how Norman attempted to come back in the Spider-Girl series better...and it had more meaning.

I don't know that it's been reprinted recently, But I recommend reading the J.M. Demattis/ Sal Buscema run on Spectacular Spider-Man. it runs #178-200. It explores Peter, Harry and Vermin traumas beautifully. One of my favorite runs of all times.

I don't know that it's been reprinted recently, But I recommend reading the J.M. Demattis/ Sal Buscema run on Spectacular Spider-Man. it runs #178-200. It explores Peter, Harry and Vermin traumas beautifully. One of my favorite runs of all times.
THIS THIS THIS!!!

It has been reprinted. At least part of it. "Son of the Goblin" reprints 189 and the last few issues leading up to 200. I also loved "The Child Within", which was the first 6 issues. I bet I read that 6 part story until the spines tore.

Yo guys. Been a bit since I've been on here. When covid struck, it left a lot of time to watch movies and read, but I read DC, too, and just delved into a bunch of BATMAN stuff lol. ANYWAY...hope you guys have been alright!

I have the first 3 volumes to JMS's/JRJR's run and I've always wanted to read so that's probably what I'm gonna read next. Anybody here read that run? Thoughts?

Also, lost track of the main ASM run. Think I just lost interest in the past few issues, but glad you guys are enjoying..

Last edited:
I took a break from Spidey for the time being.
I've been reading Iron Man from the beginning in Tales of Suspense.
I'm about up to Iron Man #6 or #7.
I also started reading Captain Mar-Vell as well.

Also grabbed the complete first few runs of Prime and Gen13 and all of Batman Beyond.

Yo guys. Been a bit since I've been on here. When covid struck, it left a lot of time to watch movies and read, but I read DC, too, and just delved into a bunch of BATMAN stuff lol. ANYWAY...hope you guys have been alright!

I have the first 3 volumes to JMS's/JRJR's run and I've always wanted to read so that's probably what I'm gonna read next. Anybody here read that run? Thoughts?

Also, lost track of the main ASM run. Think I just lost interest in the past few issues, but glad you guys are enjoying..

Hey Nicko. Glad to hear you're doing well.

I haven't been reading as much as I would've liked during this quarantine however I've been able to do a bunch of other things, i.e. home improvement, gaming, and getting back into art.

As for Spider-Man, I'm anxious to have Spidey meet Kindred and find out his/her identity. All gonna happen in the next 6 issues starting July 15th.

I wonder if the Kindred reveal has been changed...
There's been a lot of time that's passed and the story may have changed.
It's happened before with the Carrion reveal.
He was originally supposed to be a Reanimated Norman, but was turned into a Miles Clone.

Dude...the JMS run is incredible...all the way up until Sins Past, then it sucks until Civil War, and then it's great until One More Day. All in all, he only had about 18 crap issues out of the however many he did, and 2 of the arcs were changed by editorial...so let that sink in.

ASM is decent...I'm hoping it picks up. I've just been buying back issues.

Dude...the JMS run is incredible...all the way up until Sins Past, then it sucks until Civil War, and then it's great until One More Day. All in all, he only had about 18 crap issues out of the however many he did, and 2 of the arcs were changed by editorial...so let that sink in.

ASM is decent...I'm hoping it picks up. I've just been buying back issues.

I forgot to comment on JMS' run but my thoughts mirror yours. Aside from a select few stories like The Other and OMD, etc. JMS' run is excellent.

I forgot to comment on JMS' run but my thoughts mirror yours. Aside from a select few stories like The Other and OMD, etc. JMS' run is excellent.
Yep. Especially Cap's speech to Spider-Man in the Civil War arc, which was mostly copied in the film, Captain America Civil War. Some real gold in there...and the best examples of Peter and MJ being married, up until someone got his hands into it and screwed it all up. Enough about that, though.

Yep. Especially Cap's speech to Spider-Man in the Civil War arc, which was mostly copied in the film, Captain America Civil War. Some real gold in there...and the best examples of Peter and MJ being married, up until someone got his hands into it and screwed it all up. Enough about that, though.

Agreed.

Spencer even used the Doomed Affairs story from JMS' run to great effect in issue 29 I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"