World Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #8 Preview (spoilers)

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
From Popculture Shock

Looks like we got a case of time-traveling, reality-altering whackiness going on. And I think I have an idea now who the Uncle Ben we saw in the last issue was and what he was doing there. I suspect
Spider-Man, in the reality where Uncle Ben survived and Aunt May died, was killed by the Hobgoblin of the future and so that reality's Uncle Ben somehow went to the real 616 timeline to try and save the 616 Spider-Man from the same fate.

stillanerd said:
From Popculture Shock

Looks like we got a case of time-traveling, reality-altering whackiness going on. And I think I have an idea now who the Uncle Ben we saw in the last issue was and what he was doing there. I suspect
Spider-Man, in the reality where Uncle Ben survived and Aunt May died, was killed by the Hobgoblin of the future and so that reality's Uncle Ben somehow went to the real 616 timeline to try and save the 616 Spider-Man from the same fate.

I still don't like it. While he may be
another reality's Ben, he is still Uncle Ben
, and the implications of this are not positive, IMO.

Especially, if PAD plans on having him stick around for a lot longer after this story arc.

And that's exactly what I fear the case will be.

stillanerd said:
From Popculture Shock

Could you dumb that down please :( ..where's a crying emoticon when you need it?

An alternate-reality version of Ben has come to the 616 universe to warn Spider-Man that a Hobgoblin from the future is trying to kill him.

Typing that out made my ears bleed.
If he couldn't stay or something it wouldn't be so bad, but if he ends up getting together with May or something lame like that then...well, it can't really go downhill from the bottom.

WhatIfTales said:
Could you dumb that down please :( ..where's a crying emoticon when you need it?

cs_waa.gif
cs_waa.gif
cs_waa.gif

WhatIfTales said:

Okay, let me put on the role of Prof. Farnsworth from Futurama:

Let's call the Universe where Uncle Ben died Universe A, and the Universe where Aunt May died Universe B.
(Fry from Universe B: Why can't we be Universe A?
Farnsworth from Universe A: Because I said so!)
Anyway, what I believe is that the Hobgoblin from 2100 was able to traverse from his Universe, lets call it Universe C, was able to go to Universe B just like Sliders and killed Spider-Man from Universe B. Then Hobgoblin 2100 went to Universe A to try and kill Spider-Man from universe A. However, Uncle Ben from Universe B also somehow was able to go to Universe A in an attempt to warn Spider-Man from Universe A about Hobgoblin 2100 killing all the Spider-Man throughout the space-time continum.
Simple right? *head explodes from all the sci-fi mumbo-jumbo* :confused:

I find it interesting that Ben has never been really brought back in any form in the Marvel Universe (except as a hallucination/flashback, or in "What if?" stories)...until now.

Even if "Ben" is from a parallel universe, it will still be destructive.

Yet another cardinal rule of Spider-Man broken and deficated on.

It seems Marvel's taken to the "Hollywood-style comic adaptation" school of thought: "As long as it's still a guy in spandex named Spider-Man with spider-powers, then any changes we make are okay".

Okay. I suspect this is the way these morons hope to correct all of the continuity, and perhaps concepts that have drawn fans ire, like The other and possibly the Totem and Sins Past. All of the crappy plot lines will be pblamed on criss-crossing timelines. So what I guess,that it's totally unoriginal because of the DC's various Crisis/Zero Hour events.

Still not a great way of handling all of this, at least not for Spidey and probably another crash & burn. But I'll contonue to watch and wait for Spidey to unsuck.

stillanerd said:
Okay, let me put on the role of Prof. Farnsworth from Futurama:

Let's call the Universe where Uncle Ben died Universe A, and the Universe where Aunt May died Universe B.
(Fry from Universe B: Why can't we be Universe A?
Farnsworth from Universe A: Because I said so!)
Anyway, what I believe is that the Hobgoblin from 2100 was able to traverse from his Universe, lets call it Universe C, was able to go to Universe B just like Sliders and killed Spider-Man from Universe B. Then Hobgoblin 2100 went to Universe A to try and kill Spider-Man from universe A. However, Uncle Ben from Universe B also somehow was able to go to Universe A in an attempt to warn Spider-Man from Universe A about Hobgoblin 2100 killing all the Spider-Man throughout the space-time continum.
Simple right? *head explodes from all the sci-fi mumbo-jumbo* :confused:

You might be right about this. But here's the thing: Why?
Why would Hobgoblin, if he has the power of time travel only want to eliminate the Spider-Men? Not very creative thinking for an eeeevilllll genius. I mean why not make himself the invincible, all-powerful master of the universe? (There is a way to do that via time travel isn't there?) ;)

Dragon said:
You might be right about this. But here's the thing: Why?
Why would Hobgoblin, if he has the power of time travel only want to eliminate the Spider-Men? Not very creative thinking for an eeeevilllll genius. I mean why not make himself the invincible, all-powerful master of the universe? (There is a way to do that via time travel isn't there?) ;)

Not if Kang has anything to say about it, because HE'S supposed to be the self-proclaimed dictator of the space-time continum. :)

EDIT: Plus if Hobgoblin 2100 killed Peter Parker before he ever became Spider-Man, that means Spider-Man would never have existed, meaning that Hobgoblin 2100 would have no reason to back in time to kill all the various Spider-Man across the space-time continum because he changed history and therefore will have erased his motivation, personal history and possibly himself...how's that paradox for you? :confused:

BTW, doesn't this idea sound an awful lot like the Kingdom Come sequel known as the "The Kindgom" where Magog went around killing the various Supermen throughout hypertime?

I fear that any time-travel/parallel universe-type attempts to fix the mythos will lead to only more complications.

Try explaining Spider-Man's history to an 8-year-old kid (like the kind Quesada is now trying to pander to...by doing stories with lots of sex and violence?). They'll be squirming when you get to clones, writhing when you get to Totems, and running when you get to time-travel/parallel universes. Said kid will go play video games instead.

Gregatron said:
I fear that any time-travel/parallel universe-type attempts to fix the mythos will lead to only more complications.

Try explaining Spider-Man's history to an 8-year-old kid (like the kind Quesada is now trying to pander to...by doing stories with lots of sex and violence?). They'll be squirming when you get to clones, writhing when you get to Totems, and running when you get to time-travel/parallel universes. Said kid will go play video games instead.
True... I've been trying to get the 10 and 12 year-olds (niece and nephew) in my life interested in select Spidey stories... but after school work, sports and piano lessons, try tearing them away from the TV, their friends or especially the computer.

how long until the May-Ben-Jarvis love triangle?

Captivated said:
True... I've been trying to get the 10 and 12 year-olds (niece and nephew) in my life interested in select Spidey stories... but after school work, sports and piano lessons, try tearing them away from the TV, their friends or especially the computer.

Give a kid a reprint of Amazing Fantasy # 15 (or, even better, Marvel Masterworks Spider-Man Vol. 1), and I think they'll be hooked.

I really have no opinion about that preview... except the art looked good. Who knows where this story is going.

I did not read that "what if" story... Mainly because I didn't care. I like the story the way it is. One of the most powerful origin stories in all of comicdom!

So what if there was no theif... Aunt May died instead of Uncle Ben... Would Ben have acted so weak? Why would he be worried about money because Aunt May paid the bills? I thought he was a paragon of responsiblity. That seemed really off to me.

I do think Peter was a sensitive kid... if it wasn't Uncle Ben's death, life is not a bed of roses, it would be something that made him think twice about the best use of his powers.

Gregatron said:
Give a kid a reprint of Amazing Fantasy # 15 (or, even better, Marvel Masterworks Spider-Man Vol. 1), and I think they'll be hooked.
I WISH! I let them borrow both. I have 4 volumns of the Masterworks. When that went no where with them I made a big deal about letting my nephew read MKSM (1-12), saying he had to hide it from his sister, since she was too young for it. He read a few issues, but I don't think he finished it... in fact, he still has it... need to get it back. The only thing they really got into, besides the movies, was the DVD's of MTV's New Animated Series. They loved those.

Captivated said:
I WISH! I let them borrow both. I have 4 volumns of the Masterworks. When that went no where with them I made a big deal about letting my nephew read MKSM (1-12), saying he had to hide it from his sister, since she was too young for it. He read a few issues, but I don't think he finished it... in fact, he still has it... need to get it back. The only thing they really got into, besides the movies, was the DVD's of MTV's New Animated Series. They loved those.

Hollywood wins again.

Captivated said:
I did not read that "what if" story... Mainly because I didn't care. I like the story the way it is. One of the most powerful origin stories in all of comicdom!.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...Slaps self in head
this Ben lived, Hobgoblin 2,365,789 and Aunt May died crap was a what if story?
.....geeez Stillanerd, why didn't you just tell me that...would have saved you a lot of time :)....

...of course given my pseudonym, one would assume I'd know :O

WhatIfTales said:
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...Slaps self in head
this Ben lived, Hobgoblin 2,365,789 and Aunt May died crap was a what if story?
.....geeez Stillanerd, why didn't you just tell me that...would have saved you a lot of time :)....

...of course given my pseudonym, one would assume I'd know :O

And miss my chance of having both our synapses explode like in Scanners from trying to explain and comprehend all the sci-fi goobledygook? :D

Speaking of What If, I assume that PAD is taking inspiration from the
First "What If Ben Parker had lived" issue and not the more recent version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"