Comics Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (New Series 2019)

Just read the newest issue of FNSM. Very good, very Peter Parker, and I really enjoyed it. A nice follow up with what is going on with Aunt May and how Peter copes with it. Also, this issue has a much more "Friendly Neighborhood" vibe.

I can't disagree with you about liking this title more than ASM right now. It's pretty solid. And of course there's no Ramos or Bachalo.

I wouldn't say meh. FNSM was pretty darn good. ASM last week was good but not great. I think that has a lot to do with how awesome the Gibbon issue was...as the immediate follow up to that it pales in comparison. Not horrible by any means at all. And Symbiote Spider-Man is good too--I think it's my fault for not liking it as much as I should. I let my expectations get the better of me. Peter and Felicia were written really well in that one...I'm gonna reread it and see if there's a change.

I haven't got to this week's yet and I won't until tomorrow unfortunately. Life Story #2 looks to be a hit and ASM 19.HU looks awful with that wretched art but I'm willing to bet the story itself will be good. The HU issues have set the bar.
Oh. Weird. Thought a couple of you guys said ASM19 was whatevs. I didn't read in-depth obvs 'cause of spoilers but good to know that they're better than I was expecting.

Oh. Weird. Thought a couple of you guys said ASM19 was whatevs. I didn't read in-depth obvs 'cause of spoilers but good to know that they're better than I was expecting.

I gave it a C. It's still pretty good in a couple of moments. The main problem I think was that it feels like it's beginning to drag out the story. So yes I would say this isn't as good as the other entries in this Hunted arc but also it suffers from coming after that amazing Gibbon issue. I mean imo that was easily the best Spidey issue Spencer has written.

I gave it a C. It's still pretty good in a couple of moments. The main problem I think was that it feels like it's beginning to drag out the story. So yes I would say this isn't as good as the other entries in this Hunted arc but also it suffers from coming after that amazing Gibbon issue. I mean imo that was easily the best Spidey issue Spencer has written.
I hear ya. But did we REALLY think each and every HUNTED issue was gonna be a banger? If this was SPIDER-GEDDON...it would've tapped out @ Issue #2-3. Which was disappointing. I like Christos. Anyway..what are we..5-6 issues into HUNTED counting the .HUs? Haven't read 19 yet but bet you it picks up next issue.

I hear ya. But did we REALLY think each and every HUNTED issue was gonna be a banger? If this was SPIDER-GEDDON...it would've tapped out @ Issue #2-3. Which was disappointing. I like Christos. Anyway..what are we..5-6 issues into HUNTED counting the .HUs? Haven't read 19 yet but bet you it picks up next issue.

I agree. It's unreasonable to think every issue is gonna be a 10--doesn't matter who's writing it. There's no question imo that Spencer is doing great with his run thus far--he's been consistent and reliable. His characterizations have been on point and I'm digging his pacing--slow start but with a well-done, earned pay off.

It can't be easy doing this Hunted arc. And that's mostly because Spencer, with his first big story, is trying to bury Grim Hunt and restore Kraven. Making references to KLH...it takes balls to show up and then say yes, I'm gonna deliver a worthy successor to the greatest Spider-Man story.

This past issue was probably better than anything Slott gave us in recent memory lol but for this Hunted arc it fell a bit short of the bar. I expect things to improve.

Finished up issue 6...

A very heartwarming story. It's a callback to The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. Highly recommend.

Finished up issue 6...

A very heartwarming story. It's a callback to The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. Highly recommend.

Going later to pick it up. ASM isn’t really doing it for me at the moment but Ive loved the feel of the past couple of FNSM issues I’ve collected since jumping back on board the comics.

Ok so finished reading the issue.

Wow. Short,sweet, powerful and full of heart. Loved it. Issues like this remind me of why I started collecting comics back as a kid. Really hit Close to home since I work in a hospital and see more suffering then anyone should. I also see the bond and family type atmosphere that sickness and pain can create so again like I said....this issue hit hard for me.

Feel good issue and if an issue like this doesn’t move someone, nothing will.

And while I have absolutely no idea what I’m reading in ASM....FNSM on the other hand continues to capture me.

Ok so finished reading the issue.

Wow. Short,sweet, powerful and full of heart. Loved it. Issues like this remind me of why I started collecting comics back as a kid. Really hit Close to home since I work in a hospital and see more suffering then anyone should. I also see the bond and family type atmosphere that sickness and pain can create so again like I said....this issue hit hard for me.

Feel good issue and if an issue like this doesn’t move someone, nothing will.

And while I have absolutely no idea what I’m reading in ASM....FNSM on the other hand continues to capture me.

I need to go and pick this one up this weekend...

Okay so I've been like a month+ behind on all titles and did some catching up this weekend. All caught up on ASM and FNSM. Still behind on SYM SM and LS...

I just wanna say that FNSM is smashing it. Absolutely smashing it. Might go down as one of my favorite runs in Spidey comics period. Yeah, the stakes are lower -- and it's much much more Peter-focused but this is the stuff I really dig. Favorite title right now. ASM isn't doing bad but I just can't resonate with what he's trying to get to with Kraven and his plan. It's still a solid read but FNSM has subject AND killer art. I mean so good..

Last edited:
Anyone read #7 with The Prowler?

Just caught up last night. Looooving more of this continued smaller, friendly neighborhood vibe throughout the city. Especially May's contributions to the story. All so great. It ends on a cliffhanger (and the issue title has "part 1") so I'm looking forward to this arc.

Oh, I HAVE to mention..this Ken Lashley guy who drew it. Not familiar with him but thought he knocked it out of the park. I still prefer Juann Cabal for this title, but if Ken can draw ASM (sorry, Ottley and UWH lol), I would love that.

Anyone read #7 with The Prowler?

Just caught up last night. Looooving more of this continued smaller, friendly neighborhood vibe throughout the city. Especially May's contributions to the story. All so great. It ends on a cliffhanger (and the issue title has "part 1") so I'm looking forward to this arc.

Oh, I HAVE to mention..this Ken Lashley guy who drew it. Not familiar with him but thought he knocked it out of the park. I still prefer Juann Cabal for this title, but if Ken can draw ASM (sorry, Ottley and UWH lol), I would love that.

I was at the shop, and had enough to get three issues...got 5 and 6 of FNSM, and issue 5 of Daredevil (which had an awesome but brief Spidey appearance).

Issue 5 was heartbreakingly good. I loved it. I wasn't sure at first, then the reveal happened, and it just floored me. Good stuff.

The Prowler issue was fun. Looks like it's going to focus on how May helps the city, as well as how Peter's battles can help/hurt the city. Very strong stuff.

I was at the shop, and had enough to get three issues...got 5 and 6 of FNSM, and issue 5 of Daredevil (which had an awesome but brief Spidey appearance).

Issue 5 was heartbreakingly good. I loved it. I wasn't sure at first, then the reveal happened, and it just floored me. Good stuff.

The Prowler issue was fun. Looks like it's going to focus on how May helps the city, as well as how Peter's battles can help/hurt the city. Very strong stuff.
Yes, these last few issues of FNSM have been so great. Spirit is spot on. And agreed re: Prowler issue. Curious to see where the arc goes. I'm guessing a 3-issue arc..

Issue #8...

A step down from issue 7 but still entertaining.

Hobie is back and so is the Prowler. It was funny when he calls Peter out on being a hero for so long yet still not being a good detective. The Rumor makes a return as they try to infiltrate a business to get info in who was behind the FEAST financial issues... I'll leave it there so as not to spoil the reason.

The art was good. Clean and framed well.

Overall this was good but definitely weaker than the past few issues. I have a feeling things will step up with 9.

Issue #8...

A step down from issue 7 but still entertaining.

Hobie is back and so is the Prowler. It was funny when he calls Peter out on being a hero for so long yet still not being a good detective. The Rumor makes a return as they try to infiltrate a business to get info in who was behind the FEAST financial issues... I'll leave it there so as not to spoil the reason.

The art was good. Clean and framed well.

Overall this was good but definitely weaker than the past few issues. I have a feeling things will step up with 9.
My thoughts on the issue as well. It did occur to me though — whether the issue was intending it or not — that Spidey was being shown as this hero who hangs with people even in the “grey” area. Idk, during the stakeout with Prowler, it was nice to see Spidey side-by-side with someone who doesn’t have that clean of a history.

My thoughts on the issue as well. It did occur to me though — whether the issue was intending it or not — that Spidey was being shown as this hero who hangs with people even in the “grey” area. Idk, during the stakeout with Prowler, it was nice to see Spidey side-by-side with someone who doesn’t have that clean of a history.

Yep. And it's also nice to see Tom Taylor writing Peter in character. He doesn't leap to judgment. Peter investigates to see which version of the Prowler showed up at FEAST and for what reason. It's interesting the number of people that Peter has in his supporting cast that have walked the line or been on one side of the fence or the other. Boomerang is the latest and is gonna be featured in an upcoming issue of ASM.

After the classic FNSM #6 the last two issues have been a few steps down obviously. I think the only place to go after that issue was down however. Not a fan of the prowler at all and the character doesn’t interest me in the slightest so that’s not helping either for me. Still enjoying the title and the issues weren’t bad But the title didn’t match up to the recent ASM issue.

After the classic FNSM #6 the last two issues have been a few steps down obviously. I think the only place to go after that issue was down however. Not a fan of the prowler at all and the character doesn’t interest me in the slightest so that’s not helping either for me. Still enjoying the title and the issues weren’t bad But the title didn’t match up to the recent ASM issue.
The last issue was definitely a step down BUT he did this in the Under York arc...so I'm expecting it to ramp up and tie up in a nice way in the next couple of issues.

No traction on this thread for a month+ ! What's up with that?! Hah. A bit lazy to write about the past few issues so I'll just go with the latest, #9.

FNSM #9
The title did lose its overall momentum with this arc involving Prowler, FEAST, and Minth. I know it's not done yet, but #9 was pretty so-so overall. I know it served as a backstory to Minth and Rumor (which btw, is she Asian now?! Lol) but even so I didn't find much or any attachment to either character. Minth's motivations are decent and I think the issue ends in an interesting way with Spidey asking help from Tony, but other than that, a bit w/e about this one..

I feel like after SPider bite the title really lost some steam. That’s a shame because I was enjoying it and Spiderbite is hands down one of the best single issue Spider-Man comics I’ve ever read even if it was essentially a re telling of a classic. After that it just went down hill and I wouldn’t be surprised if this title gets canceled because it just seems to not have any direction.

Plus with other aspects of the spider verse doing so well ( ASM, Black Cat, Absolute Carnage and Life) that makes the short comings of this title stand out even more.

I don't know about it getting canceled. I just finished issue 10 and it had a great ending for this arc. Yeah issue 8 and 9 were not jaw dropping excitement but they all don't have to be. This series overall has been solid and with solid art. I'm not giving up on it just yet.

Pick up issue 11 right away. Very sweet character driven issue focusing on Peter and MJ. Just when I thought I was ready to drop this series, they pulled me back in. Not the emotional rollercoaster that Spider Bite was but pretty special in a different way.

I know it’s a longshot, but when you read issues like this focusing so much on their relationship it makes you wonder if Marvel is planting seeds for a marriage down the road. I know I know wishful thinking....

Anyway this was easily a 10/10 issue.

MJ is such an absolute bad ash.

Pick up issue 11 right away. Very sweet character driven issue focusing on Peter and MJ. Just when I thought I was ready to drop this series, they pulled me back in. Not the emotional rollercoaster that Spider Bite was but pretty special in a different way.

I know it’s a longshot, but when you read issues like this focusing so much on their relationship it makes you wonder if Marvel is planting seeds for a marriage down the road. I know I know wishful thinking....

Anyway this was easily a 10/10 issue.

MJ is such an absolute bad ash.

I've not read this issue yet. I've got 4 books sitting on my desk waiting to be read...hopefully tonight. But I do love how much MJ is involved in Spider-Man as of late and even getting her own series. It's refreshing to see her and everyone else back in their proper character.

Issue 11...

Solid story that is just another in a long line of examples as to why MJ and Peter belong together. And why MJ is more than just some side character. You know, it's stories like these that make me shake me head even more at the idea of putting a character like Michelle in a movie as the main love interest for Peter. They're all inferior to Mary Jane. And when you give her the MJ moniker, it makes that separation even worse.

Anyway, the main focus of this issue is to show how important Peter and MJ are to one another. It's not just about love, it's about responsibility. MJ is strong, fierce and resourceful. Like the book states, her damsel days are long gone.

I really enjoyed this and the art was mostly good. There were a couple of panels that looked off.

A-

This book is starting to get its groove back. Hoping this title continues to focus on more character driven smaller stories because it’s nailing them. Love the teamwork aspect between Spider-Man and the police. Always loved the vigilante having a friend in the police angle so I’m glad they’re using that here.

And I’m always down for a
Spiderman FF team up. Um quick
Question cause I’ve been gone for a while but how did they know his identity? Maybe I’m
Just having a brain freeze moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"