From Out Of The Past... The History In Pictures Thread

Flora Stewart was 117 years old when this photo was taken in New Hampshire in 1867(she was born in 1750!). She saw this country founded ands lived to see the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the end of slavery. She saw George Washington and Abraham Lincoln as Presidents.
tumblr_o2rtsvRk9p1rsjdo1o1_540.jpg

Titanic, 1912
tumblr_o977tqn2A71s7n9hno1_1280.jpg

Buffalo Soldier and Medal of Honor recipient Isaiah Mays
tumblr_o7hlsluhVL1s7e5k5o1_640.jpg

Maori Battalion survivors of action in Greece, performing a haka in Helwan, Egypt for the King of Greece, June 1941. From left to right, the four men in the foreground are John Manuel, Maaka White, Te Kooti Reihana, and Rangi Henderson.
tumblr_m3wdx4e71s1qfet8co1_1280.jpg

Curious young girl on roller skates interrupts army patrol during the Battle of the Bogside, Northern Ireland, 1969.
tumblr_mwg6j3Mv9Y1qzs3iqo1_1280.jpg

Golden Gate bridge mid-construction, 1935 San Francisco,
tumblr_pibqcwwjAr1s7e5k5o1_500.jpg

The Statue of Liberty’s head, on exhibit at the Paris Exposition of 1878.

tumblr_m4nb45VGWm1qfet8co1_500.jpg

Bruce Springsteen with his dad Douglas Frederick Springsteen in Mexico, 1972.

wibtBOc.jpg

A young Matthew McConaughey, runner up in the Little Mr. Texas contest, just 8 years old. He thought he'd won until recently, thanks to some fibbing by his Mom. He tells the story to Jimmy Fallon in this video clip:

vNp3ikg.jpg

Bruce Willis in his Penns Grove High School Yearbook, 1973.

DkZj8Mz.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger taking ballet lessons from dancer Marianne Claire to perfect his body building competition posing skills, 1977.

gPalmtj.jpg

Lisa-Niemi, Patsy-Swayze and Patrick Swayze, 1978.

8MzV4cQ.jpg

Steve Buscemi performing with his band The Pawns of Love at Gerdes Folk City in the 80s.

5aBIVOQ.jpg

Bill Paxton and Andrew Todd's promo glossy for their 1980s new wave band, Martini Ranch. Fun fact: the video for their song Reach was directed by James Cameron

Dz5sY2B.jpg

A young Kate McKinnon dressed up as Dana Scully of the X-Files for Halloween, 1994.

08SmZeh.jpg

The incomparable Nick Offerman, 1994.

sTUaCuc.jpg

Ryan Reynolds with his puppy, 1996.

dqfIMLc.jpg

James Dean playing ping pong, 1955.

xUwbYp3.jpg

Morgan Freeman working as a radar technician in the US Air Force. He joined in 1955, passionate to become a pilot but was relegated to radar tech for quite a stretch. Eventually, he got the chance to train as a fighter pilot. Despite years of anticipation for that very job, as soon as he sat in the cockpit he had a "distinct feeling [he] was sitting in the nose of a bomb." "I had this very clear epiphany: You are not in love with this; you are in love with the idea of this." Freeman didn’t hesitate to act on his gut instinct, and left the Air Force in 1959. "I joined the Air Force. I took to it immediately when I arrived there. I did three years, eight months, and ten days in all, but it took me a year and a half to get disabused of my romantic notions about it."

lcWXfFk.jpg

27 year old Elizabeth Taylor taking a break in the sun on the set of Suddenly Last Summer, 1959.

BfqikeN.jpg

Orson Welles and Anthony Perkins have a laugh on set while filming The Trial, 1962.

TJtMD4b.jpg

Jim Morrison with Thor, Ray Manzarek’s brother Jim's doberman, 1965.

Zsv912z.jpg

16 year old Kevin Smith, 1986.

321cgYy.jpg

Harold Ramis in his Ghostbusters costume with his daughter Violet Ramis, 1984.

qHdro0A.jpg

Steven Spielberg and Michael J. Fox during a break in filming on the set of Back to the Future.

x5Wz4bx.jpg

Peter Dinklage performing with his punk-funk band Whizzy in the 90s. He was one of the lead singers and also played trumpet occasionally.

BxOQ7J6.jpg

Brandon Lee playing with his Gameboy during some downtime on the set of The Crow, 1994.

VgzSu0D.jpg

Benedict Cumberbatch working as a catering waiter, 2001.

XVJv6sy.jpg

Mickey Rooney visits with Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow on the set of the Wizard of Oz, 1939.

Gw866yv.jpg

Marilyn Monroe during the 'Love Happy' movie tour, June 1949. She was 23 here.

NM2MTeR.jpg

Stephen Stills and Peter Tork in Stills's Rolls-Royce, 1968. Side story if you like stories,: Did you know that Peter Tork became a Monkee because Stephen Stills wasn't cute enough? You know The Monkees as Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, and Peter Tork. Dolenz and Jones were considered more as actors than musicians. Tork came to the producers’ attention via Stephen Stills, Tork’s friend and former roommate from Greenwich Village. Stills had auditioned for the Monkees in 1966 but failed to get cast mostly due to his appearance. Though he was only 21, his thinning hair and bad teeth gave him the appearance of an old man. Stills also had issues with Screen Gems; part of the contract with the show required all music publishing rights to go to Screen Gems, something Stills was smartly unwilling to give up. Tork was suggested by Stills and added to the band’s roster. Don't feel too bad for old Stevie though, he apparently went on to be part of something called Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young I guess? And did quite well for himself from what I can tell.

SVWhzFP.jpg

Ron Howard and Mickey Dolenz on the set of Happy Days. Although we know Henry Winkler as Arthur Fonzarelli, he wasn't the only guy up for the part. It was a dead heat between Henry and Mickey. Dolenz tells it: “It actually came down to me and Henry Winkler,” he tells Guitar World. “We’re good friends and still laugh about it. I remember when Henry first walked into the interview. He saw me and said, ‘Oh, crap, Micky Dolenz is here. I’ll never get it.’ But I’m so glad he did, because he was a much better Fonz than I would have been. He is the Fonz!"

saxznhv.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger has a deep, meaningful conversation with a camel in Israel, 1977.

J431Q1t.jpg

The whole cast of Monty Python on tour at the Hollywood Bowl, 1982.

kVIB7mG.jpg

Bette Midler and her backup singers the Harlettes, 1982ish. You may recognize the Harlette on the far left, that's a young and sexy Katey Sagal. She performed with Bette in 1978 and 82-83. (If you're a fellow old, another Harlette that went on to fame was Melissa Manchester!)

kZqPEZF.jpg

Trent Reznor (second from left) plays sax in his high school marching band, the Mighty Mercer Mustang Marching Machine,1983. He was also in the jazz band.

w1hFz0G.jpg

Young Raymond Teller in his former life as a Latin Teacher, Lawrence HS New Jersey, prior to becoming famous as the silent half of magician duo Penn and Teller.

nMnXNKD.jpg

Iggy Pop, Penn Jillette, Steve Forbert Raymond Teller, and David Bowie,1985.

l2dMsQU.jpg

Muhammad Ali skiing (well, sort of) at Mount Snow,Vermont, 1970.

pYcHWzZ.jpg

Andy Warhol and Jack Nicholson share a car, 1971.

kRE7RJe.jpg

This picture gets misattributed a lot to a "movie" supposedly called The Last Mile. It's really from a photo book called The Last Mile that was published as a tribute to McQueen's life by his wife, Barbara. With approximately 150 pictures documenting Barbara McQueen’s three-and-a-half year relationship with the movie icon, it includes candid shots from 1977 to 1980 – McQueen’s years out of the spotlight. Here Steve is making mashed potatoes in their trailer at Trancas beach in California.

2qweyV3.jpg

Mark Hamill all handsome and tan at San Diego Comic Con, 1976.

d5NKnTW.jpg

Christopher Reeve signs autographs during a break in filming the Niagara Falls scene on the set of Superman 2, 1980.

9NyOvum.jpg

Justine Bateman's 17th birthday party, 1982, during Family Ties' first season. Front (and middle) row: Square Pegs' Sarah Jessica Parker, Kari Michaelsen, wee baby Jason Bateman, Michael J. Fox, Justine Bateman, and Facts of Life's Mindy Cohn.

xxqFxWR.jpg

Madonna and Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1983. This was just after Madonna had just released her first record and right before her career went bananas, and Basquiat himself was on the sharp upslope of his own fame arc. Introducing her to gallery owner Larry Gagosian, he said of her: “She will be very, very famous one day.“

xFbCae4.jpg

David Lee Roth and Madonna at David's birthday party, 1984.

c629MlE.jpg

Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Michael Hall, David Lee Roth and Sonia Braga at the 1984 MTV VMAs after party.

bhImcKM.jpg

Tim Curry during makeup tests and applications for Legend, 1985.

Xd5z9YM.jpg

Letter carrier in New York City, New York, wearing mask for protection against influenza. 10/16/1918

tumblr_pgnkvkxv9u1qhk04bo1_1280.jpg

The influenza epidemic of 1918 first emerged without warning in late spring of 1918, and was known as the “three-day fever.” Few deaths were reported and victims recovered after a few days. When the disease surfaced again that fall, it was far more severe. One fifth of the world’s population was attacked by this deadly virus. Within months, it had killed more people than any other illness in recorded history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"