From Out Of The Past... The History In Pictures Thread

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by KRYPTON INC., Apr 15, 2018.

1. C. Lee

C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Charles Earl Bowles (b. 1829; d.after 1888), better known as Black Bart, was an English-born American Old West outlaw noted for the poetic messages he left behind after two of his robberies. Called Charley by his friends, he was also known as Charles Bolton, C.E. Bolton and Black Bart the Poet. Considered a gentleman bandit, he was one of the most notorious stagecoach robbers to operate in and around Northern California and southern Oregon during the 1870s and 1880s.
    [​IMG]

signalman likes this.
  2. C. Lee

Portrait of Mormon polygamists in prison, at the Utah Penitentiary
    c. 1889

[​IMG]

3. C. Lee

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec et son chien. vers 1890 .
    [​IMG]

4. C. Lee

Police officer guarding Galt, Ontario pharmacy in waist-high flood waters, May 17, 1974.

[​IMG]

5. C. Lee

Child soldier of the Constitutionalist Army, Mexico; 1914

[​IMG]

I watched the movie THE WILD BUNCH again a few days ago....it takes place in Mexico at this time. Part of the story follows a Mexican general who has kids like this running errands for him. Eerie.

6. C. Lee

7. C. Lee

A German U-boat stranded on the South Coast of England, after surrender, 1918

[​IMG]

8. C. Lee

Soldiers firing from behind a barricade of dead horses during Spanish civil war. Barcelona, 1936

[​IMG]

9. C. Lee

Actor, and future president, Ronald Reagan poses for a sculpture class at the University of Southern California in 1940. He was chosen as an example of the ideal male physique by the school’s fine arts departments, based on his portrayal of George Gipp.

[​IMG]

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  10. C. Lee

11. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

British sailors on board a captured German WWI U-boat on display in London, 1919.

[​IMG]

Train Depot in Albuquerque, NM 1943.

[​IMG]

Freemont Street in Las Vegas 1958.

[​IMG]

The first few feet of the Berlin Wall go up 1961.

[​IMG]

12. C. Lee

Fred Waite 1853-1895
    Born in the Chickasaw Nation at Fort Arbuckle
    Worked as a ranch hand with John Chisum in 1877
    Joined the "Regulators" in 1878
    Fought in the Lincoln County War
    Member of the Billy The Kid gang
    Worked as a lawman for the U.S. Indian Police
    Named Attorney General for the Chickasaw Nation
    Died of rheumatism on September 24, 1895
    [​IMG]

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  13. KRYPTON INC.

Life was rough back then. Dead at 42.

14. C. Lee

What gets me is....he survived being an outlaw running around with Billy the kid, he survived the Lincoln County war, he survived being a gunslinger "regulator".....but he dies from an illness that easily medicated today.

15. KRYPTON INC.

When I was in my twenties and had moved back to NYC I contracted a hellacious case of food poisoning. It messed me up so bad that even the simplest things like potatoes and bananas and white rice went through me system almost totally undigested. That's when I could keep anything down. It got to the point I was incredibly weak and bedridden. In a week I lost 15 pounds. The only reason I made it through was that my friend Ed, who at that time I didn't even know all that well, made it his mission to keep me alive. He checked up on me and brought me food etc. Getting the doctors to do ANYTHING was like pulling teeth, and mind you, I had Health Insurance through me job. The doctor, after I had explained how bad things were after maybe five days said that I had to come back in like another three. And I told him, "I'll be dead by then from lack of food or dehydration." Only because I pushed like that did he do anything. This was during the Anthrax scare during the Bush admin. and CIPRO, the antibiotic was all over the news for a bit and this doctor had gotten stocked up on it. He gave me the pills and I went home and took them and no joke, I was 75% by the next day.

When I had recovered I realized that had I been born in another time and gone through the same ordeal it's likely that I would be dead from something like that.

C. Lee likes this.
  16. C. Lee

Bobby Kennedy taking a lunch break at the Bluefield Drive-In in Bluefield, West Virginia while campaigning for his brother JFK, 1960.
    [​IMG]

Black Narcissus likes this.
  17. KRYPTON INC.

A young Saul Hudson, AKA Slash of Guns N' Roses fame plays a gig on his BC Rich Mockingbird circa 1982.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C. Lee and 3rdstone like this.
  18. KRYPTON INC.

Piece on Stephen King in the Maine Campus student newspaper, 1974.

[​IMG]

C. Lee and 3rdstone like this.
  19. C. Lee

Adler Planetarium during the Century of Progress, 1934. Adler Planetarium, which opened in 1930, was the first planetarium in the western hemisphere. Architect Ernest A. Grunsfeld, Jr. was awarded the gold medal of the Chicago chapter of the American Institute of Architects in 1931. Image via John Chuckman.
    [​IMG]

20. C. Lee

German, Ottoman, Indian, and Afghanistan delegates in Kabul, 1916
    From left to right: Kazim Bey, Werner Otto von Hentig, Walter Röhr, Mahendra Pratap, Kurt Wagner, Oskar Niedermayer, Günter Voigt and Maulvi Barkatullah
    [​IMG]

The Niedermayer–Hentig Expedition was a diplomatic mission to Afghanistan sent by the Central Powers in 1915–1916. The purpose was to encourage Afghanistan to declare full independence from the British Empire, enter World War I on the side of the Central Powers, and attack British India. The expedition was part of the Hindu–German Conspiracy, a series of Indo-German efforts to provoke a nationalist revolution in India. Nominally headed by the exiled Indian prince Raja Mahendra Pratap, the expedition was a joint operation of Germany and Turkey and was led by the German Army officers Oskar Niedermayer and Werner Otto von Hentig. Other participants included members of an Indian nationalist organisation called the Berlin Committee, including Maulavi Barkatullah and Chempakaraman Pillai, while the Turks were represented by Kazim Bey, a close confidante of Enver Pasha.

21. C. Lee

US Marines displaying the captured flag of Augusto Calderón Sandino:

…a Nicaraguan revolutionary and leader of a rebellion between 1927 and 1933 against the U.S. military occupation of Nicaragua. He was referred to as a “bandit” by the United States government; his exploits made him a hero throughout much of Latin America, where he became a symbol of resistance to United States’ domination. He drew units of the United States Marine Corps into an undeclared guerrilla war. The United States troops withdrew from the country in 1933 after overseeing the election and inauguration of President Juan Bautista Sacasa, who had returned from exile. The re-call of the Marines was largely due to the Great Depression.
    [​IMG]

22. C. Lee

In 1914 Japan entered the war on August 23, 1914 and in 1915 sent two women doctors and nurses of the Japanese Red Cross to Paris to treat the wounded returning from the front.
    [​IMG]

23. C. Lee

Major Dwight D. Eisenhower with FT17 Tank, World War I. He would later become the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in Europe during WWII and then President of the United States.
    [​IMG]

24. C. Lee

[​IMG]
    Venustiano Carranza with Piedra del Sol - the Aztec Calendar Stone

Venustiano Carranza, (born Dec. 29, 1859, Cuatro Ciénegas, Mex.—died May 20/21, 1920, Tlaxcalantongo) a leader in the Mexican civil war following the overthrow of the dictator Porfirio Díaz. Carranza became the first president of the new Mexican republic. A moderate who was tainted by his association with Díaz and his alliance with newer forces of economic exploitation, Carranza opposed the sweeping changes that followed the revolution.

When Carranza’s term as president was due to end in December 1920, he attempted to force the election of his chosen successor, Ignacio Bonillas, despite opposition from his more radical generals. Obregón led an armed rebellion in April 1920, and Carranza fled the capital. When he headed for Veracruz with government records and treasure, his train was attacked. With a few followers, he fled on horseback into the mountains. On the night of May 20/21 he was betrayed and murdered.

25. C. Lee

Steve and Charlie Utter at the grave of Wild Bill Hickok. Mount Moriah Cemetery, Deadwood, Dakota Territory, August 1876
    [​IMG]

signalman likes this.