From the Universe of legacy of kain:Nosgoth

zenith16

Avenger
Reaction score
Canceled Legacy of Kain sequel returns as multiplayer-focused Nosgoth

14 Comments
at 11:31pm September 27 2013
First, the bad news: a full sequel to 2003’s Legacy of Kain: Defiance was in development … until it was cancelled. The good news is that the multiplayer mode from that cancelled project has been saved and built up into online multiplayer game called Nosgoth, set in the Legacy of Kain universe.

source: PC gamer

Interesting. I will keep an eye on this.

There was a live Q&A via Twitch earlier for Nosgoth. It was interesting I thought, but the chat itself was plagued by trolls though and they decided not to moderate it for the most part. The vid should be up on youtube soon I believe.

The game looks interesting to me, but I can't help but question their design choice of strictly having vampires melee and humans ranged. That worries me as I think it's too restrictive and arbitrary. I just can't understand the thinking on that one. Seems like a bizarre choice to me.

Works for the Alien/AvP games. You have the Marines, which are all armed to the teeth with long ranged weapons, then you have the Aliens who need to get up close and personal.

Last edited:
It's most likely cause they figure in a hand to hand fight normal humans will always lose unless given powers like what shown in Buffy and some other media or some like super hero comic's . so they left it like this. It's kinda the same way you wouldn't normally try that on a zombie ether unless you have no choice and you a good enough opening to get them off your body in time so you don't get bitten by ether. Other use the human have to fight really dirty like sneeking on them which will be hard as well unless they have something that will mess with their sense of smell.

Last edited:
The only game I've played in that series was Blood Omen 2. I liked it but I tried reading the plots for the other games and got really confused.

The only game I've played in that series was Blood Omen 2. I liked it but I tried reading the plots for the other games and got really confused.

You should check out the other games simply because they're all better than BO2.

I think the first Soul Reaver is still the best. Never played the very first Blood Omen though.

wXWq6eR.jpg

Works for the Alien/AvP games. You have the Marines, which are all armed to the teeth with long ranger weapons, then you have the Aliens who need to get up close and personal.

I suppose that's a fair point. Though here however it's not really a case of humans vs xenomorphs. It's humans vs vampires and that restriction automatically bars any projectile ability the vampires had in previous games and stops any melee addition to humans. It doesn't seem as such a natural fit here as it may have been in AvP.

It's most likely cause they figure in a hand to hand fight normal humans will always lose unless given powers like what shown in Buffy and some other media or some like super hero comic's . so they left it like this. It's kinda the same way you wouldn't normally try that on a zombie ether unless you have no choice and you a good enough opening to get them off your body in time so you don't get bitten by ether. Other use the human have to fight really dirty like sneeking on them which will be hard as well unless they have something that will mess with their sense of smell.

When it comes to human melee against vampires in LoK I agree that they are outmatched, but I don't like idea of it being impossible for them to win.

Also you wouldn't need to look outside of LoK for special abilities. There was already glyph magic which would level the playing field and I don't see where it's said that was restricted to only one side.

I think the first Soul Reaver is still the best. Never played the very first Blood Omen though.

I played through Blood Omen for the first time not too recently. Bought it off PSN a while ago and finally made the effort to complete it. It's pretty good, but I still prefer the Soul Reaver games, especially SR2.

I suppose that's a fair point. Though here however it's not really a case of humans vs xenomorphs. It's humans vs vampires and that restriction automatically bars any projectile ability the vampires had in previous games and stops any melee addition to humans. It doesn't seem as such a natural fit here as it may have been in AvP.

When it comes to human melee against vampires in LoK I agree that they are outmatched, but I don't like idea of it being impossible for them to win.

Also you wouldn't need to look outside of LoK for special abilities. There was already glyph magic which would level the playing field and I don't see where it's said that was restricted to only one side.

I played through Blood Omen for the first time not too recently. Bought it off PSN a while ago and finally made the effort to complete it. It's pretty good, but I still prefer the Soul Reaver games, especially SR2.
Soul Reaver 2 was the game that showed me that video games were truly art. As far as Nosgoth goes, I'm not happy with it, but I'm going to play it just to show Square Enix that people are still interested in LoK.

Hopefully this will re-ignite the franchise. We all got a new Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Hitman game. I want them to add a proper Soul Reaver/Blood Omen to that.

I'd suggest hopping over to the Nosgoth Square Enix forums (and/or the Eidos LoK forums) if you want. The developers said they're keen to get fan feedback for the game. It's a F2P game so I imagine there will be regular updates to it.

Still no sign on the youtube version of the live chat. Hopefully that should be up soon. I want another chance to see the vid because I didn't catch everything.

Nosgoth

Debut Trailer

Check out the debut trailer forNosgoth, a competitive, team-based Human versus Vampire free-to-play multiplayer experience set in the brutal fantasy world of the Legacy of Kain series.
Views: 6,447 | Posted: 10/14/2013

source: GT

I just find it weird that the first game based on this series will be a multi-player game. I mean, the franchise skipped a generation..I don't know if this is the best way to reintroduce the series to the public.

Watch an hour of Nosgoth, the multiplayer game set in the Legacy of Kain universe
(2 hours ago)

[YT]5iQsalH6WZ0[/YT]
Psyonix Studios dished out three videos for Nosgoth, the team-based human vs. vampire multiplayer PC game set in the same world as the Legacy of Kain series. Published by Square Enix, the free-to-play action game was first announced in September 2013, at which point the publisher kicked off its closed beta.

The videos take viewers through the Nosgoth's team deathmatch and siege modes, and add up to an hour of action. Okay, it's actually 56 minutes and 50 seconds of video for the game, but that doesn't include the time it takes to pop your popcorn and cozy up in a blanket on the couch. You'll find the first of the three videos embedded above, while the other two can be viewed after the break.Continue Reading

Source:Joystiq

Nosgoth: Proof That Not Everything Is About Balance. February 16, 2014 . 4:59pm

Nosgoth is trying to break into a busy field. The competition between free-to-play multiplayer games is fierce these days, but luckily, this one has something going for it.

If I told you that Square Enix was bringing back the Legacy of Kain franchise, but in the form of an online multiplayer shooter without any storytelling, what would you think?

If I told you that Square Enix was building on their shooter legacy (that includes such genre leading titles as Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII and Mindjack) with a free-to-play online-only shooter monetized via micro transactions, what would you think?

If I told you that these two games were one and the same and that this game was being developed by Psyonix, a largely unknown studio that began as an Unreal Tournament mod team, would that do anything to inspire additional confidence?

The game I described above is called Nosgoth, and it’s moving into open beta in a matter of weeks. I’ve been participating in the closed alpha test and am here to report that the game is excellent. Really.

Nosgoth is trying to break into a busy field. The competition between free-to-play multiplayer games is fierce these days. Nosgoth doesn’t have the international eSports appeal of StarCraft, nor the incredible infrastructure of the Steam-based Dota 2. So, in order to stand out from the crowd, Nosgoth is an asymmetrically designed multiplayer deathmatch, splitting teams between hunting vampires and hunted humans.

Each faction has a few class options (with more still being added) but there are some basic differences that all classes within a race share. Vampires can climb over any terrain, leap long distances, and regenerate their health both passively and by draining human blood. They move faster than humans, deal more damage than humans, and are rewarded for aggressive play. Vampires are always looking to jump humans from behind, from above, from below, and from wherever else they aren’t looking.

The human kit is comparatively meager. They have bows and crude explosive devices that hurt friend as well as foe if used unwisely. Their tools all revolve around defending ground and limiting a vampire’s available angles of attack. Humans must always travel in a pack to have any chance of survival. Humans can only heal at supply caches, and these caches deplete quickly. This forces the humans to move from point to point across the map, trying to secure a location for as long as they can before either being flushed out by enemy action or because they’re out of supplies.

I realize that this doesn’t sound terribly fair, and it isn’t. In my experience, humans win very few rounds. However, the system is really smartly built around this concept. When matchmaking puts a team onto the map, the match is split in half. Once the round concludes the teams switch sides and do it all again on the same map. So, however the balance between these asymmetrically designed forces changes, the game will always be fair in that each team is given equal opportunity to exploit the current design. The overall round winner is determined by combining total kills each team secured as vampire and human.

And honestly, I like having things a little unbalanced in this game. Since both teams get a turn to be both sides, there’s really no reason to fuss about one side being stronger than the other. There’s a real sense of empowerment when playing as a vampire, and there can be some real fear when playing as a human. Sometimes, you just need to cut and run to the nearest spawn and pray there isn’t a vampire idly watching you scurry helplessly.

(That said, there’s almost always a vampire just watching you scurry helplessly. Did I mention they can see you through walls?)

I’ve found that I enjoy playing as a human the most. Yes the vampires are the aggressors and usually the victors, but they kind of have it easy. The question as a Vampire is not “can I win,” so much as “by how large of a margin can I win”. In the context of how the matches are scored it actually is important to do well as the hunter and rack up the kills. Of course, the challenge to win by a lot doesn’t carry the same intensity as the question the human players are asking: “How long can I survive?”

I find myself much more focused when playing as a human because I have to constantly be checking corners and rooftops and making sure that none of my teammates are inaccessible to the rest of the team. Things get pretty intense when you hear the animalistic growls of hunters nearby but you can’t see them.

Sometimes, a work of art transcends reasonable expectation. When Disney decided to make a movie based on their Pirates of the Carribean theme park ride starring Johnny Depp of all people, the resulting movie should have been just awful. When Squaresoft decided that the best way to leverage their booming Final Fantasy brand was to release an action RPG crossover with Disney Cartoons of all things, it would not have been unreasonable to question their sanity. Nosgoth may not find the audience those two ill-advised success stories did, but it deserves to. Here’s hoping that the game can overcome the narratives that precede it.

Food for thought:

1. This is set in the Legacy of Kain universe in name only. There are a couple paragraphs of lore describing each class in the game that name check a term or two, but there’s nothing here a Legacy of Kain fan needs to see for the sake of the franchise. The game doesn’t seem to be much concerned with its supposed connection to those old RPGs, and I think it’s probably best that fans adopt the same attitude.

2. Micro transactions are present, but largely unobtrusive. It is possible to pay for performance enhancing bonuses, but there’s also a free daily bonus available so everyone goes into battle with some sort of extra boost. Money can also be spent on cosmetics, but in what game can’t you spend money on cosmetics these days?

3. I recognize that making the humans reload is important from a design perspective (keeps humans from just filling choke points with arrows) but these are bows. Couldn’t we at least say that I need to restring my longbow after 6 shots or something? Reloading is just silly.

4. By the time the game hits open beta there will be at least four more classes, a persistent leveling system, more loot drops after matches, a game mode called Siege, and some more maps. I’ll definitely be checking back in when they open the servers up to see how they hold up and to sample the new content. I hope to see you out there!

source:Siliconera

I'm still mad they haven't properly rebooted the LoK series. Such a cool universe with good potential.

Square Enix On Their Vision For Their Online Legacy of Kain Shooter Nosgoth

. March 1, 2014 . 5:00pmSiliconera caught up with Bill Beachem, Designer Director at Square Enix, to ask him a few questions about Nosgoth and the development team’s vision for the game.

Nosgoth is a free-to-play online shooter set in the universe of the Legacy of Kain series. Siliconera recently had a chance to go hands-on with the game, and provided our impressions of our time with it. You can read that report here.

We also caught up with Bill Beachem, Designer Director at Square Enix, to ask him a few questions about game and the development team’s vision for it.

How has Nosgoth changed since when it was supposed to be a multiplayer component of [Legacy of Kain] Dead Sun? What were the first changes Psyonix made?

Bill Beachem – Design Director, Square Enix: Nosgoth was always intended to be distinct from any single-player game in many ways, since we knew that they would require different player characters, abilities, and maps to support the different gameplay requirements.

While the two were sharing the world of Nosgoth itself, the multiplayer game had its own place in the timeline and backstory that suited the experience the team wanted to make. Part of the reason we were so happy to work with Psyonix—apart from their great pedigree in multiplayer gaming—was that we wanted a team who could handle the creative “heavy lifting” required to make the characters and arenas really come to life.

I think fans of the Legacy of Kain series were drawn in by the storyline. How does Nosgoth fit into the bigger picture?

Nosgoth is set in the almost millennium-long period between Raziel’s supposed execution at the hands of Kain and his other five Lieutenants, those who had formed Kain’s Vampire Council, each the head of their own Clan. Then, not long (at least, in vampire terms) after Kain cast Raziel into the Abyss, Kain disappeared into the time-stream in search of a way to restore Nosgoth to the world it was before the collapse of the Pillars (in terms of series chronology, Kain doesn’t reappear in this era until soon after Raziel’s re-emergence from the Abyss as a wraith and the Empire has fallen into in a state of disarray, as seen in Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver).

Kain leaves the land and his court in the hands of his Lieutenants, who without the iron-grip of their Emperor, were soon riven by jealousy and conflicts, ultimately leading first to in-fighting and then to all-out civil war between the Clans. With the vampires focused on their internal squabbles, Nosgoth’s human population seize the chance to grow stronger. Cities are rebuilt, skills relearned and Humanity’s power recovers to the point where they can launch a devastating attack on their Vampire masters. This attack reunites the warring Vampire Clans in the face of a common enemy.

Now, each race is pitted against the other in a war to control the land of Nosgoth and for the very survival of each race—which is precisely when Nosgoth’s gameplay occurs.

Will there be nods to the Legacy of Kain series? Arenas based on areas from the other games?

We’re obviously keen to provide a lot of links between Nosgoth and the previous games in the franchise—our first levels, for example, are all based in places seen on maps of the world from previous games but never before visited. We’re always thinking about how to build on this, but that said we’re also very aware that whatever we do makes sense within the wider lore and fiction.

For instance, while the Pillars of Nosgoth might make a cool-looking setting for a map, is it really likely that Humans could invade the Sanctuary of Clans, the very heart of Kain’s Empire? We have a LOT of conversations like this, and while we definitely plan to show some familiar sights in the future we don’t want to use them purely for throwaway cosmetic value—the fiction behind the war needs to make sense.

MOBA and MOBA-like games tend to require lots of playtesting before a good balance is struck. What have you learned from the players so far?

Well, we don’t think Nosgoth is a MOBA, it’s much more in the tradition of PvP games going back to Unreal Tournament, Quake, Team Fortress and Counterstrike, although we choose to go third-person rather than first due to our unique gameplay elements. That said, games like this require just as much playtesting and balancing, and we made lives harder for ourselves too by making it asymmetrical rather than just two bunches of guys shooting at each other.

We obviously did a lot of playtesting over the course of development, but as soon as you go the community you realize that the sheer volume of data and feedback you get from them is going to make you rethink all kinds of things. We’ve been refining and tweaking everything, from finer points of map layout to the precise handling and performance of particular weapons or abilities. It’s part of the beauty of working in a live environment—the game keeps evolving, keeps getting better.

What new ideas does Nosgoth bring to the genre? Which was the hardest to implement?

The genre of third-person Vampire vs. Human multiplayer games? We hope we’re offering something that is fresh and new. We’ve seen elements of the gameplay that Nosgoth offers in previous games, but we feel that the final experience is something that you haven’t seen before and so will enjoy all the more. The core mechanic of asymmetrical sides, one using ranged weapons and the other relying on melee combat was probably the hardest thing to get right—the team spent a lot of time iterating on this to ensure that both sides feel powerful and fun without dominating the game.

It went from one side to the other during development, and we’re still fine-tuning and balancing right now. There are other systems that we’re very proud of too – the way that Vampires can free-climb any surface within the play area for instance, gives you a level of freedom in moving through the level and planning your tactics that you just don’t get with more conventional PvP games, for example, and poses unique challenges in level design.

That was probably the other biggest challenge—making maps that allow Humans a good field of fire to take down incoming Vampires, while at the same time giving enough cover and angles of approach for smart Vampires to close in and get the drop on their victims… The team already spent a huge amount of time working on map layout, vantage points, lines of sight, and will keep refining these as players keep giving us feedback.

How will Nosgoth be monetized? It’s a free to play game so will there be accessories to purchase? Funny vampire hats?

There will indeed be content that can be purchased, but it’s worth saying that from the start we’ve been focusing on avoiding any pay-to-win mechanic since that can spell the death of a competitive multiplayer game. Even more fundamentally, the game has to be fun to play without spending money, or again it’s just not going to have the longevity that we think it deserves. We’re really trying to put our players first and monetization second.

Of course, any FTP game has monetization options, and with Nosgoth we’re looking at offering players the chance to purchase consumable items like Perks or Boosters, as well as renting or buying new variants of weapons, equipment, and abilities. New classes and custom skins are also part of the line-up, and there will be other content as the game evolves over time. The vast majority of this content will be unlocked just by playing the game, since we don’t want players to feel they have to pay if they’d rather just enjoy playing to earn the rewards over time.

Even with the smallest items—the Perks that give you a choice of boosts to your characters’ statistics or performance—we want to be as generous as we can: we give away free Perks of the Day so everyone is on a level playing field, for instance.

If Nosgoth is successful, will Square Enix revisit the Legacy of Kain series with a new game in the series more akin to the traditional titles?

We get asked that a lot, unsurprisingly, and to be honest there are so many factors to consider that it is impossible to give a definitive answer at this point. As we’ve said before, there are three key things that need to be in place before any game will go into development: the right concept, the right team, and the right market conditions.

The games industry as a whole has been evolving rapidly, and the traditional AAA market is now dominated by a few massive titles with a lot of still great games just not getting the audience they may deserve. At the other end of the scale you’ve got free-to-play games that are increasingly sophisticated and polished, and a lot of new gamers coming to the industry through new devices. Against this kind of background, any new project has to be scrutinized to make sure it is going to be worth making. When you’ve got a franchise like Legacy of Kain, you obviously also want to make sure that you can do justice to its history.

We see Nosgoth as a way of broadening the franchise and bringing it to a new generation of gamers, but that doesn’t mean that this is the only way that the franchise can exist going forward. Personally I’m a massive fan of Legacy of Kain— it’s one of the reasons I joined Eidos originally—and if the conditions are right then I’ll be one of the loudest voices arguing that we should make many more games in this universe. Right now though we’re focusing on Nosgoth: it’s great fun to play, we have huge plans for it, and we’re happy for it to stand on its own merits.

Nosgoth is currently in closed beta. You can register for the beta here.

source:Siliconera

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
32 minute video of cancelled Legacy of Kain project surfaces

Published 3 hours ago. 27 comments.

Dead Sun was a Climax-developed successor to Soul Reaver.

LoK-Canned-32-Mins.jpg

Square Enix London Studios and Climax Studios were previously at work on a successor to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver called Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun. But the project was cancelled in 2012.
According to NeoGAF user Mama Robotnik, citing unnamed sources, the game was in the pre-alpha stage before Square Enix decided it would not meet sales projections and scrapped the project. Development started off at a small scale, but grew to become a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 retail title. Before it was cancelled, it was strongly considered to be a current generation launch title.
Here’s an outline of the story, via NeoGAF:
Kain and Raziel’s time-travel throughout Legacy of Kain: Defiance appears to have stabilized Nosgoth’s far future. Humans spread across the land once more, and plant life began to re-appear. The vampire monsters returned to more elegant vampiric forms, though some maintained their bestial ancestors’ hunger for souls. The vampires continued to block out the sunlight using huge ever-burning smoke stacks. The conflict between predators and prey continued as it always had done. Humans were able to regain enough control of the wilderness to re-establish trading towns, and became enamoured with worship of the obscured Sun.
The respite faded, and mass sterility plagued the human race. Asher, a human, was able to achieve a miracle and father an unborn child. From unseen machinations, a Saradin Soul-Eater vampire is sent to kill Asher and his family (with orders form on high to make the assassination purposely look like a massacre) but something goes wrong: As the vampire attempts to consume the human’s soul, a freak occurrence results in Asher taking complete control of Gein’s body – leaving Gein’s vampire spirit impotent as ghost that only Asher can see and hear.
Their journey together across Nosgoth’s future would have initially explored who sent Gein to kill Asher, and why. It would later link to the wider Legacy of Kain mythos. There would be substantial connections to The Elder God, the Spectral Realm and a mysterious vampire child. The large theme running throughout the story would be the religious beliefs of Nosgoth. Climax were instructed by Square Enix to introduce a new protagonist to the series (as Crystal Dynamics had done thirteen years ago with Raziel in Soul Reaver), but the events were to be a continuation of the established Legacy of Kain storyline.
A 32-minute video of the cancelled project was also posted to YouTube, which shows the Wetlands area, a “gigantic hub” connecting the different areas in this region of Nosgoth together. These areas would have included dungeons, giant bosses, shifting between the Spectral and Material realms, and more.
Watch the video below.

[YT]XBN8N2NXfi4[/YT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBN8N2NXfi4

Read up more on the project at NeoGAF.

Read More

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Climax Studios, Clips, Gameplay, Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun, Square Enix
source: Gematsu

Ok the Embeds worki
ng now but just in case the You tube URL/address is below it here .

Last edited:
They need to get back on this project because the multiplayer game is ****

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"