Fullmetal Alchemist discussion

guitarsingerguy,

Now that you know what is what, even though you are a sucker, just wait until the limited edition comes out. Instead you buy volumes 12 and 13 of the series on DVD out this month. And get the movie with the better extras in November.

Ok....are you sure about the dates? The edition I picked up today from Best Buy said exclusive edition on it. It has a second disc called "The Transmutation of a Phenomenon".

Saw it. Was a fine anime. I am not a big fan of anime but felt this show was strong enough after a few episodes to follow it from beginning ot end (friend had 'em on DVD and did a marathon of sorts in 3 days) and I thought it was pretty brilliant. Though I felt the climax and the ending (haven't seen the movie yet though) was too vague and lucid and just kind of flew through the facts and lost its edge (the WWI scene was kinda' pointless in my humble opinion, despite the good use of Beethoven's 5th).

However, a well made show that I think worked because the characters were so vivdly well written. I notice the show's strongest points was when Ed and Al were together. Particularly they're returning to train with Sensei and fight Wrath for the first time. Those episodes were brilliant. I felt when they got seperated like during the whole "Suicidal Scars" arc the show defeinetly weakens.

Great show, can't wait to see the movie and have a better closure for Ed who was an awesome and engaging character. But even so the ending worked and the overall show was just kickass and has gotten me more intrigued with anime (as of now only a few shows stand out like this, Gundam Wing, etc.).

Also I was still waiting all the way for Hughes to come back and kick ash DAMMIT! Why they always gotta' kill the best character though?

P.S.

The show had one of my favorite fighting scenes, EVER:

At the end when Ed is beating the **** out of Envy she is changing into people in front of Ed. First his mother and he yells "QUIT TRYING TO FU CK WITH MY HEAD," and as she goes through the good guy roster, alive and dead, on the show the last one is Mustang and he yells "THAT'S THE EASIEST FACE TO EVER HIT!"

Just a little scene that made my smile though.

Well, if you haven't seen the movie, then the quipes you have will probably disappear when you do. I don't know if I've ever seen a more satisfying ending to an anime.

I just finished watching Conquerer of Shambala... And all I can say, is ZOMG! :eek::up:

The limited edition is supposed to have audio commentary with the English version staff.

Which apparently this month's version doesn't have.

Waah, I didn't know there was a limited edition coming out! But still, I'm glad to have not been forced to wait another two months, even if it means I got a less impressive DVD.

Well, I just watched the second disc "Transmutation of a Phenomenon" and it was amazing. It was nice to put a face to all the voices. It was interesting to see how effected Vic was by the series. When he spoke of the brotherly aspects of the show it hit pretty close to home since I lost a brother of my own.

So the regular release does have interviews with the English VA's? What else does it have?

guy, I told you to wait until Nov. I bet that release has everything in this one plus more.

DACrowe said:
P.S.

The show had one of my favorite fighting scenes, EVER:

At the end when Ed is beating the **** out of Envy she is changing into people in front of Ed. First his mother and he yells "QUIT TRYING TO FU CK WITH MY HEAD," and as she goes through the good guy roster, alive and dead, on the show the last one is Mustang and he yells "THAT'S THE EASIEST FACE TO EVER HIT!"

Just a little scene that made my smile though.

He actually doesn't cuss. I've seen both the 'uncut jap' version with subs a friend of mine did (who speaks fluent japanese) and the 'american' versions.

Anyone know when the full series gets packed into one bundle that I can just drop about 140$ on instead of buying all the ugly 14 volumes + movie?

I'm thinking along the lines of what they did with s-CRY-ed.

TheVileOne said:
guy, I told you to wait until Nov. I bet that release has everything in this one plus more.

I know what you told me to do.....but I have an impatient woman at home. She's just gonna end up buying the next one.

SouLeSS said:
Anyone know when the full series gets packed into one bundle that I can just drop about 140$ on instead of buying all the ugly 14 volumes + movie?

I'm thinking along the lines of what they did with s-CRY-ed.

Well, in the interview with the director, he picked up a big metal box that he said was the full series. Whether or not this is gonna make its way to the US or not is another story.

Well I saw the uncut Japanese version with subtitles and the subtitle does say "Quit ****ing we me" or something like that, so yes he does cuss then.

Well, you gotta understand alot of these things are fan subbed so it could be an interpretation.

guitarsingerguy said:
Well, I just watched the second disc "Transmutation of a Phenomenon" and it was amazing. It was nice to put a face to all the voices. It was interesting to see how effected Vic was by the series. When he spoke of the brotherly aspects of the show it hit pretty close to home since I lost a brother of my own.

Sorry about your bro, man. :(

Hmm, it's a shame I'll have to miss out on it (for now at least). I have three brothers of my own, one whom (my younger brother) watched the show with me every week, so I really felt this show made a special connection with me too.

And now, it shall pass into the hallways of great Anime series history, and it will most certainly have a special place very near and dear to my heart. :O

Now if only they'd release it in a boxed set that I can actually afford to own. I didn't buy Evangelion until Amazon had the Thinpack for $45, so I don't think I'll be biting the FMA bullet anytime soon.

Thank you for the condolences Tim but it was so long ago it's almost ancient history. However, little things like this show really make me miss him and enjoy the few memories I do still have. As far as owning the DVDs, I've got about another $120 to spend to complete the set. Wedding gift anyone? :D

So you got the regular version with the best buy exclusive bonus disc.

I'm just going to wait for the limited edition. Especially since I just got to see the movie in theatres.

Eliyja forced me to watch episode 3, he said watch it or i'll ban you, so i watched it and was hooked, now i've seen up tp episode 7 on youtube, i bought the movie but i wont watch it till i see all the episodes. I'm up to episode 7, which almost made me shed a tear...poor alexzandoor :(

Actually the subtitles I saw were done by a proffessional company that has a credit at the end. The line is "Quit trying to f u c k with my head!"

Now they may have censored it for the US version and that one's dvds censored the subtitling of the Japanese diologue but the original line is that.

Anyway, I saw the movie and it wrapped things up decently. In some respects I prefered the ending to the show and neither because neither was satisfying but the "equal trade" was fairly represented in the original show ending and them reaching for each other even though they will probably never find each other again was touching.

While I am glad the Elric brothers are back together I kinda' felt that it was a wasted oppurtunity if they are back in "our world" (the history is a little fuzzy to say the least). I mean I felt like seeing Winry again was completely squandered (and just not for romance) and Mustang was underused and he and Ed never had a real encounter in the whole movie, just a brief exchange and I felt Ed not being able to visit Sensei one more time and be treated as a true equal and son for her was a bit disappointing.

I was not upset they ended up in our world at the end. It was fitting as it was "equal trade" for getting their flesh back. It just seemed none of the supporting characters were given their due and Ed to not see really any of them again after going back home was a waste in my opinion, as was teh villain.

BTW turning Hughes into a Nazi was unforgivable. I just think it was done in some respects for shock value as he bares little resemblence to the Hughes that was so good in the series though.

For clarification, the line in FMA #50 - Death is "Stop jerking me around!" in the English dub. How it is translated from the Japanese I don't know (and that is subject to the translator).

And DACrowe - the Hughes in Shambala is not the Hughes of Ed's world. He is the Hughes of our world. He grew up in a completely different environment to the Hughes we all loved...

I'm just waiting for the sequel where he starts shoving black-and-white photos of their daughter in people's faces :woot: . Just kidding...

But what do you think - will they do another FMA movie? Or will they leave it all to fan fiction?

Well quite frankly the ending left me disappointed that there was hardly any closure with any of the characters but Ed and Al, however, that is the most important relationship anyway. Them being together but never having EVERYTHING they want (Ed's limbs back and being where they belong with friends and family) is a fair ending.

And its message about them being involved in a world where war is inevitable and the evils of military governments and governing in general is made but they also learned that the world doesn't revolve around them, albeit they are now no longer part of a world they can make a difference in.

So thematically the story is done (but then again it was done in the original show and I felt they handeled Mustang and the likes much better in that conclusion than they did in the movie), so who knows. I'd love for them to get back home but then wouldn't they be cheating equivalent trade though?

Who knows. I suppose only time will tell but if Gundam Wing has taught us anything it is that fanfiction should never be considered a source for any type of storytelling or conclusion to characters of film or anime then.

P.S. I know it was not the same Hughes but even if characters are different in traits they are similar in personality. Such as Alphonse still helping Ed get home even though he was a racist and dying of TB in this world or Scars and Lust being in love together as gypsies though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"