Fullmetal Alchemist discussion

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by PyroProductions, Oct 5, 2005.

1. guitarsingerguy

guitarsingerguy Who am I?

I felt the ending of the movie was perfect. The entire series was about the brothers. The other characters were there to help along the brother's story. I don't think I could have been more happy with the ending.

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Turning Hughes into a Nazi was a great plot twist.

As was turning the Fuhrer into a good guy and Fritz Lang.

3. PyroProductions

PyroProductions Space Cowboy

Ok, so I just priced the set if I were to buy it right out Vol 1-13. Too much money. $235.82 for the entire series. I guess I better start building them up one by one.

4. Gotenks

Gotenks Registered

I was always into FMA, but never stuck with it. I just got finished reading the manga or at least the ones that came out in english. I think it was 15 volumes. Now im about to download the episodes in order so I can enjoy the movie a little bit more it looks awesome.

5. PyroProductions

You should've watched the episodes before the movie, because the movie delves into things that they cover in the episodes. You could always spend $235 on the series like I may be about to do.

6. Assassin

Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

youtube has them all

7. Gotenks

Gotenks Registered

Well thats what I meant I haven't watched the movie yet.

8. PyroProductions

Ah, ok. I thought you had ruined it for yourself, haha.

9. Elijya

Elijya Registered

now that I've finally finished the series and the movie, I can participate in this thread.

Personally

10. guitarsingerguy

Good, keep the thread alive. I'm just afraid we've analyzed the show and movie to death. :(

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Well Elijya, what are your overall thoughts on the series?

Have you seen the movie yet?

Read any of the manga?

12. Elijya

Elijya Registered

heh, sorry, was caught at work yesterday when I typed that post and had to bail.

The series itself I absolutely loved. Like most series with a fantasy elements, they give you an element you just accept even if it doesn't make any sense - alchemy, obviously. But then within the context of accepting alchemy, they give you ten million brilliant twists on the idea, and it's a thrill a minute.

Yes, I've read the first couple of volumes of the Manga, and from what I've seen, the Manga was basicly just treated as a rough draft, and once the makers of the show got enough perspective on the whole story, they were able to reorganize it and make it better, mixing and matching a dozen different layers of secrets and mysteries and revelations, along with great character developement.

I do feel a little unsatisfied with the ending, though. Really, I think the series could have been served better if it was 5 or ten time episodes longer, to take some time and do a few more stories. Sloth's death was ok, but the setting made it a little underwhelming and they could have built up the drama better. We never did get the stories behind Gluttony or Pride, and when the truth about Envy was revealed we didn't get any details. Dante never really came across as a truly threatening villain to me, and I'd have like to have seen some flashbacks to give more depth to her and Hohenheim. Her sudden, inconclusive, off screen death was also annoying.

The movie was unfortunately a let-down. Yes, the animation was notched up, which was cool, but I didn't think they actually got to use it for much. The opening sequence against the mad scientist, while cool, took a bit too long and didn't really seem to serve the story (yes, ok, his atomic bomb was brought to the real world, but I would not have batted an eye if it had just been there anyway since it's not like they didn't have any other technology with was anachronistic). It was less fun not getting to see ED have fun with his alchemy the whole movie. I would have liked to have seen a few more of the FMA characters with second lives in the 'real world'.

Izumi's death was a bit sudden, and I didn't even realized she'd died when It first happened. The fight between Wrath and Sloth was wicked, the highlight of the movie. Hohenheim also passed on long before they'd told enough of his story. Mustang's role waqs painfully minor in the film. Oh, and that German woman, she wasn't clearly the main villain until like the ast 15 minutes, and she just didn't feel threatening. I was also distracted because I couldn't tell if she was supposed to be the 'real world' version of Hawkeye.

13. Gotenks

Gotenks Registered

Argh!
    I can't find them. Thery're all private.

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Envy - was Hohenheim and Dante's son that died. Hohenheim tried resurrecting him and Envy was born.

Pride - a homunculus intentionally designed by Dante with the ability to age like a human.

Gluttony - again, designed by Dante to become the holder of the Philospher's Stone.

I guess what you are wondering what humans Pride and Gluttony were based on. Well the series doesn't make it clear.

But my best guess is in the anime, that Pride was more than likely a past lover, servant, and/or husband of Dante, which she admitted to having many of.

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Greed - The anime PPV OVA Fullmetal Alchemist: Reflections which was a clip show of the series featuring new voice-over by the lead characters. A voice-over by Greed revealed that the person he was based on was one of Dante's lovers.

16. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

Dante said she was planning to shag Edward too, once she'd taken over Rose's body. That's kind of kinky, if you ask me (seeing as she'd already had a child through Ed's dad).

17. PyroProductions

Alright, another FMA fan!

18. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Dante is just a ****ed up *****.

My only regret to the series is that we never see Gluttony eat her
    which is the explanation for his transformation in the movie.

19. PyroProductions

How does this explain the transformation?

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Gluttony's new form is a side affect of eating Dante. Don't ask me how. We don't know the depth of her experimentation except that it's huge.

21. Tsunulia

Tsunulia Queen of the Kitties

Ah. That confused the crap out of me when I watched the movie a few months ago. I thought there was something in the sub that got messed up. Well, a lot of the sub got messed up in the youtube version.

I forgot her name, but is the gypsy girl in real world the counterpart to Rose in alchemy world?

22. guitarsingerguy

Yes and her name was Noa.

23. wellsy

wellsy All crews reporting.

I always thought Gluttony mutated because of the Philosopher's Stone that Dante had been making in him. I mean, they all had red stones (which gets refined into the Philosopher's Stone), but Gluttony continued to eat people (and thus slowly gained more souls, ie more red stones) and he also ate a fair bit of Al when Al was the stone.

Thats just my understanding of it.

24. Elijya

Elijya Registered

I had assumed that when
    Dante removed the seal on his tongue and she said she removed the last of what made him human or whatever, he just continued to devolve, or evolve, into a being completely gluttonous with no trappings of humanity

25. Elijya

Elijya Registered

Hey, was it just me, or was Wrath gypped out of an actual Humonculous power?

Think about it: ALL Humonculous come with a degree of enhanced strangth, speed, and agility, as well as a powerful regenerative ability. But all the humonculi also come with their own unique gifts. Wrath's supposed unique gift is that he can use Alchemy.... but that didn't come from his being a humonculous, that came from the fact that he stole Ed's Arm and Leg. So should he have some special ability that he would have had even if he didn't steal Ed's limbs?