Sequels Future of the franchise

Iron Lizard

Civilian
Reaction score
Lets say Avengers is HUGE grossing close to 1 billion. Where will Marvel go from there?

Will they keep working on solo movies and Avengers?

Will they focus more on the Avengers and do not as many solo movies?

Will this franchise still be called Marvel Cinnematic Universe or will they call it the Avengers franchise?

I ask because I notice how the Avengers is getting WAY MORE marketing and merchandise than the solo movies.

i had a theory with a friend of mine that the solo movies are more for the comic fans while the Avengers films will be more for everyone comic fans and general audiences

Thoughts?

I think they'll probably stay the course: more sequels, new movies tied to the MCU, and an eventual Avengers 2. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't.

How to name the whole meta-franchise is another matter. . .

Imo, they'll just keep chugging along. With the expected success that Avengers will probably be, I don't see any reason why they'd undo the MCU after taking so long to create it. Even if they stop Avengers movies after 3, I would be shocked if they tear down the whole Cinematic Universe they built. As long as Marvel is making movies, I think everything will tie into the same universe, even if it doesn't have anything to do with future Avengers movies.

I strongly doubt they're planning to make Avengers just a trilogy. Avengers, as well as its component parts, can last as a franchise for decades, same as the comic book did (until Marvel broke it up and fragmented the hell out of it). Even long after the actors leave/die/whatever, the characters themselves are immortal, and will find new players down the line.

As for what to call it, MCU (even though it sounds like the name of a junior college) is more apropos than Avengers, because Avengers is only one part of that universe. I doubt that every movie from Marvel Studios going forward is going to directly link to Avengers, any more than individual Marvel comics have to tie in to the super-team.

Just checked my magic 8 ball. It said "Ask again later."

And it should be the Avengers franchise. No dabbling of non-Avenger characters in the movies.

I strongly doubt they're planning to make Avengers just a trilogy. Avengers, as well as its component parts, can last as a franchise for decades, same as the comic book did (until Marvel broke it up and fragmented the hell out of it). Even long after the actors leave/die/whatever, the characters themselves are immortal, and will find new players down the line.

I agree, I think they can keep going with it with and just knock it out of the park with these giant events that happen every so often..

I doubt that every movie from Marvel Studios going forward is going to directly link to Avengers, any more than individual Marvel comics have to tie in to the super-team.

It's just going to be neat to know that even in future movies (Dr. Strange for example) to know that The Avengers, and the other characters actually exist (though I wouldn't want Strange having anything to do with the Avengers or whatever). Keeping certain characters in their own niche while keeping them in the overall MCU is the way to go imo.

1.) If it's even remotely good it will probably waltz to 1 billion, the amount of hype around this movie is pretty nuts even for movie standards.
2.) MCU, keep the name. Gaurdians of the Galaxy can fit into this, so can defenders, Black Panther etc. doesn't have to just be Avengers
3.) They gotta keep the focus on solo movies for a 3-4 year stretch cumulative in an Avengers film
4.) this is the single most important aspect of my post: no reboots ever. If you make a bad movie just make a good one next time. There have been bad comics with our favorite characters, a bad movie won't kill the fans....a reboot though could throw the entire thing off. Recast, redo, retool, no reboot.

It's just going to be neat to know that even in future movies (Dr. Strange for example) to know that The Avengers, and the other characters actually exist (though I wouldn't want Strange having anything to do with the Avengers or whatever). Keeping certain characters in their own niche while keeping them in the overall MCU is the way to go imo.

Exactly.
Just like in the comics, it should be a shared universe, where *sometimes* characters crossover and lend each other a hand, but to require every hero going forward to be part of the Avengers Initiative (like Bendisvengers) would be a huge mistake.

It's nice to know that Dr. Strange and Luke Cage and Iron Fist and the Guardians of the Galaxy are out there, for instance (depending on how far development has gotten on those projects), but I'd hate like hell to make them obligatory Avengers.

What I would like to see happen is this, Cap and the cast from this 1st Avengers film stick around for at least 3 films. In Avengers 2 bring in Ant Man and Wasp, who by that time will have at least been cast in their own movie, and then by the time Avengers 3 roles around and the regular cast leaves because their contracts are up (the actors not the characters) Hank and Janet stay to lead the next team of Avengers. So when Avengers 4 comes we already know Hank and Janet, then we bring in other Avengers like Black Panther, Wonder Man, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and She-Hulk. Then when Avengers 5 happens and Hank and Janet leave we can bring in two more Avengers to fill their spots. The idea being that when an actor's contract is up a new actor is brought in as a new character to fill the spot. There would never be a need to recast and the movies and stories can keep going on forever.
I'll clear it up if there needs to be any clarifications.

^ So are you saying you want the new team to be in Avengers 3 or Avengers 4, because I want the core team to remain the same until after Avengers 3.

I am saying that I doubt Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Jackson, and the rest, will stick around after their contracts are up. They probably have the exact amount of movies and types they are going to be in, I hear Evans is signed on to 9 movies (3 Captain Americas, 3 Avengers, and 3 cameos maybe). But it would be a shame to end the franchise there because the original cast wants to leave, and instead of recasting just bring in new characters played by new actors. And to keep the flow stagger the roster rotation like Law and Order does. So not every character is leaving and ever new character is entering at the same times. I saw bring in Hank Pym and Janet in Avengers 2 so that the audience will get to know them so that by Avengers 4 (the first Avengers after the original cast has left) you will still have Hank and Janet there. Then when Hank and Janet leave around movie 5 or 6 you can bring in Avenger characters to replace them too. Then when the cast from Avengers 4 leaves around Avengers 7 you can replace them too with new characters. There would always be a few characters that would stick around since their contracts started later.
I am making it a given that the actors would probably be signed to at least 3 Avengers films, and would probably leave once those 3 films were done.

These are just random casting to help over explain my idea:

Avengers 1: Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Fury, Coulsen, Hill
Avengers 2: Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Fury, Coulsen, Hill, and Hank Pym and Wasp
Avengers 3: Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Hulk, Fury, Coulsen, Hill, and Hank Pym and Wasp
Avengers 4: Hank Pym and Wasp, She-Hulk, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wonder Man, and SHIELD agent Gabe Jones
Avengers 5: She-Hulk, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wonder Man, SHIELD agent Gabe Jones, and Ms. Marvel, Black Panther
Avengers 6: She-Hulk, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wonder Man, SHIELD agent Gabe Jones, and Ms. Marvel, Black Panther
Avengers 7: Vision, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther, Valkyrie, Firestar, Falcon, Hercules, Agent Clayton
Avengers 8: Vision, Firestar, Falcon, Hercules, Agent Clayton, Mockingbird, Luke Cage, Iron Fist
Avengers 9: Firestar, Falcon, Hercules, Agent Clayton, Mockingbird, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Photon
Avengers 10: Mockingbird, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Photon, Spider-Woman, Jessica Drew, Black Goliath, agent Bridge
Etc.

(Vision I could see being a CG robot like iRobot and animated with motion capture things, the actor could easily be replaced)
The movies could keep going and going and going. These were just random examples. The plots could be whatever...
Eventually Rick Jones/Captain Marvel, Bucky Barnes/Captain America, Thunderstrike, and others could make their way through.

Last edited:
^ Yeah I understood what you were saying for the most part, I just wanted to make sure you wanted the cast to stick around until after Avengers 3 which what I want to happen.

They need to close the lid right after Avengers 3, and move on with other team or solo stories. Avoid turning Avengers into Police Academy.

To me, personally, it seems like a waste to end it at Avengers 3, you would miss using characters like Wonder Man, Vision, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, etc. You would miss using villains that might not appear in the 1st 3 like Ultron, etc. And you miss out on story lines that could be used. I wouldn't simply recast Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man, because there are so many popular Avengers who could fill in.
But of coarse the films have to have great stories too, not just filler stories to keep the movies going. But gripping, dramatic, character evolving stories. I would love to see Hank Pym join the team and then have a break down in a sequel. He creates Ultron in the breakdown and Ultron then becomes the living embodiment of Pym's hatred, resentment, fears, and feelings of inadequacy, he feels towards his fellow Avengers, his wife, and himself. Ultron becomes his dark side and attacks the Avengers. But then Ultron creates the Vision, and the Vision becomes Pym's redemption in a way because Vision joins the Avengers in stopping Ultron.
That story line would have some gripping moments and great acting, Pym's break down, Pym pretending to be friendly with the other Avengers.

Another thing you would miss out on with stopping the avengers at 3 is being able to focus on certain characters. Cap is, from what rumors I have heard, the focus of Avengers 1. In Avengers 2 and 3, who knows, but Avengers 4 could focus on Pym. Avengers 5 could focus on someone else. You can introduce characters who don't get much focus and give them focus in later movies.

James Bond has about 23 films, and they keep recasting him. The Avengers wouldn't even need to recast. They have so many members worth staring in a movie.
But thats just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
There are other directions they could go. They have SHIELD, so some spy thrillers aren't out of the question if they want to do something without superheroes, they could also make a martial arts epic with Shang chi/iron fist. The Marvel universe is massive, there are quite a few directions they could go without becoming stale for the foreseeable futur

"What's coming out of Marvel Studios after The Avengers?
Well, Kevin Feige tells us!"

- He’s seen an unfinished version of The Amazing Spider-Man and says it is excellent and should quiet concerns over the idea of rebooting the franchise. (IT IS NOT A MOVIE DONE BY MARVEL STUDIOS IT'S ALSO NOT IN THE MCU. Kevin just saw the movie. THERE'S NOTHING MORE TO THAT)
-They have an option for Whedon to direct The Avengers 2 when and if the time comes.
- There are currently no plans to do a new Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo.
- Iron Man 3 starts filming in five weeks in North Carolina.
When approaching Iron Man 3, their gut instinct was to not make it be a pseudo-Avengers 2. It’s a full-on Tony Stark movie.
Iron Man 3 is inspired by the first half of Iron Man 1 in that they’re metaphorically putting Tony back in the cave. He’s stripped of everything, back against a wall, and has nothing but his intelligence to get him out.
- Filming on Thor 2 begins in three months in London and it picks up where the first film left off in terms of Jane and Oden.
Thor 2 also addresses what’s been happening in the nine realms with the Asgardians unable to use the Bifrost.
Loki has a part in Thor 2, but there will be a different, big villain.
The crux of Thor 2 is continuing the dynamic between Thor and Jane, as well as the relationship between Thor and Odin.
- Feige says there are no plans for Marvel and Pixar to team up on a feature.
Creative talks have been progressing for years between Marvel and Disney about possibly doing a Marvel property as an animated film.
- Edgar Wright did not film something for Marvel recently, but Feige says to pay attention to Wright’s tweets in the coming months “and that might change.”
- They’re still figuring out how much period flashbacks to include in Captain America 2.
The primary story of Captain America 2 will be Steve Rogers figuring out his place in the world. For the time-being, he’ll be staying with S.H.I.E.L.D.
- They should announce by Comic-Con or before what’s coming out in May 2014.
- Zak Penn did not write a Doctor Strange movie.
- Feige says, “depending on what Edgar Wright films for us” circumstances could possibly force them to make three films in one year.

They need to close the lid right after Avengers 3, and move on with other team or solo stories. Avoid turning Avengers into Police Academy.

That's what I meant, I was saying I want most of the cast to stay the same until Avengers 3 is over with.

That's what I meant, I was saying I want most of the cast to stay the same until Avengers 3 is over with.

Yeah, but like others, I don't want to see Avengers turned into a trilogy. It's a franchise, and should be open-ended. Granted, we're looking into a very hazy crystal ball to look that far into the future (even if Avengers goes on a 2-3 year interval, you're looking at 2016-2018 before A3 comes out, and it's probably farther out than even that)....but I think that Marvel needs to take a James Bond kinda view of their properties, and recognize that Avengers and its component parts could easily still be alive and kicking 20, 30 years from now. So there's no need to shoehorn franchise characters to their respective actors and, say, write Iron Man off as soon as RDJ leaves or gets too long in the tooth for the part.

Yeah, but like others, I don't want to see Avengers turned into a trilogy. It's a franchise, and should be open-ended. Granted, we're looking into a very hazy crystal ball to look that far into the future (even if Avengers goes on a 2-3 year interval, you're looking at 2016-2018 before A3 comes out, and it's probably farther out than even that)....but I think that Marvel needs to take a James Bond kinda view of their properties, and recognize that Avengers and its component parts could easily still be alive and kicking 20, 30 years from now. So there's no need to shoehorn franchise characters to their respective actors and, say, write Iron Man off as soon as RDJ leaves or gets too long in the tooth for the part.

I think logic would suggest it will be a trilogy for THIS set of heroes

but I can't imagine Marvel stopping producion on Avengers movies after 3. Maybe that is when Ant-Man etc have their chance to shine in an Ultron movie/story arc

"What's coming out of Marvel Studios after The Avengers?
Well, Kevin Feige tells us!"

- He’s seen an unfinished version of The Amazing Spider-Man and says it is excellent and should quiet concerns over the idea of rebooting the franchise. (IT IS NOT A MOVIE DONE BY MARVEL STUDIOS IT'S ALSO NOT IN THE MCU. Kevin just saw the movie. THERE'S NOTHING MORE TO THAT)
-They have an option for Whedon to direct The Avengers 2 when and if the time comes.
- There are currently no plans to do a new Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo.
- Iron Man 3 starts filming in five weeks in North Carolina.
When approaching Iron Man 3, their gut instinct was to not make it be a pseudo-Avengers 2. It’s a full-on Tony Stark movie.
Iron Man 3 is inspired by the first half of Iron Man 1 in that they’re metaphorically putting Tony back in the cave. He’s stripped of everything, back against a wall, and has nothing but his intelligence to get him out.
- Filming on Thor 2 begins in three months in London and it picks up where the first film left off in terms of Jane and Oden.
Thor 2 also addresses what’s been happening in the nine realms with the Asgardians unable to use the Bifrost.
Loki has a part in Thor 2, but there will be a different, big villain.
The crux of Thor 2 is continuing the dynamic between Thor and Jane, as well as the relationship between Thor and Odin.
- Feige says there are no plans for Marvel and Pixar to team up on a feature.
Creative talks have been progressing for years between Marvel and Disney about possibly doing a Marvel property as an animated film.
- Edgar Wright did not film something for Marvel recently, but Feige says to pay attention to Wright’s tweets in the coming months “and that might change.”
- They’re still figuring out how much period flashbacks to include in Captain America 2.
The primary story of Captain America 2 will be Steve Rogers figuring out his place in the world. For the time-being, he’ll be staying with S.H.I.E.L.D.
- They should announce by Comic-Con or before what’s coming out in May 2014.
- Zak Penn did not write a Doctor Strange movie.
- Feige says, “depending on what Edgar Wright films for us” circumstances could possibly force them to make three films in one year.

I really hope they heed the strong wom Hulk is getting and build off that for a new solo series

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"