Future team member discussion

Discussion in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' started by KangConquers, Jul 18, 2012.

1. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Maybe this has something to do with it?
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/356661-tom-wheeler-to-write-new-draft-of-long-gestating-micronauts-movie

2. MbJ Registered

It could just be a case of them not wanting to use the character when they can't use anything else related to the franchise he was created for.

For example, Marvel had a similar comic called Shogun Warriors about a team of giant robots. The robots were all existing, licensed characters from popular Japanese anime shows, but the pilots of the robots were all original creations. Marvel lost the rights to the robots but got to keep the pilots since they were original creations, but they still don't use them anymore because there's really no point in doing so when they can't use anything else from the series.

3. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

But they do still use Bug in the comics. James Gunn explicitly said he wanted to use Bug in the first movie but couldn't because Marvel didn't have the rights. Besides, Bug really works in GotG, even without having any knowledge of the Micronauts or linking him to that franchise in any way.

4. Kaboom knock knock

Could Pom be Phyla-Vell?

5. MbJ Registered

I just said this in the other thread, but from the Hollywood Reporter article it says they were looking at Asian women for this role, which would imply it's not race-neutral. That likely means they specifically chose her to play an Asian character from the comics, so I'm guessing Mantis.

She could be Phyla, but I don't think so. That'd mean they made a conscious decision behind the scenes to make Phyla Asian for some reason, which doesn't seem to be the MCU's style. There's cases of race lifting, but I get the sense that it's usually the case of them just choosing the best person for the job, like Idris Elba.