Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman or Brie Larson as Captain Marvel ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Batmannerism, Mar 7, 2019.

?

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman vs Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

1. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman

67 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Brie Larson as Captain Marvel

19 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Tie, both are equal

9 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Too different to compare

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patchwork Man Registered

You mean "LeDic." :D

2. B [insert witty comment]

Not even remotely close contest, Brie Larson was wooden & flat for most of Captain Marvel I thought, in stark contrast to Gal Gadot who was a lot more charming & charismatic as WW.

3. Another_Fool Registered

I voted Gal. In her own movie she felt very natural and charismatic.

I didn't think Brie was terrible but there was a disconnect at times. I know her character is a clean slate but there were multiple instances of her just coming off wooden. An actress more suited to the role can have the memory issues but can still make Carol engaging throughout. Also when doing the MC humor, Brie doesn't seem very comfortable, at least not yet. However I also saw enough good things to think she can get better in the sequels. Just right now I prefer Gal than Brie.

Spider-Aziz and Batmannerism like this.
  4. hawkflame Registered

Vote for Gal here too. Which is too bad, because I think as an actress Brie has more talent- she was amazing in Room, and I liked her well enough in Kong Skull Island.

But it’s more than just talent that drives a performance. Some actors just fit a role perfectly, like Gal with Wonder Woman, and in it they exude a lot of charisma and charm. Some actors, in spite of their talent, just don’t work out in a particular role. She has the talent, but not the charisma, and often it felt like she was just phoning it in.

5. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I just watched Wonder Woman for the 2nd time (I know, I only bought my copy yesterday) and still amazing! Gal Gadot is just so fierce and likable as Wonder Woman.

6. LibidoLoca Politically Delicious

7. DACrowe Registered

Finally saw Captain Marvel. It was meh. Brie Larson is obviously a great actor and far more versatile than Gal Gadot, but Brie got nothing to do but react. Gal is not a great actor, but her Diana was a much more interesting character and more compelling hero than what Captain Marvel offered. Not really a surprise given the marketing and how people have reacted to CM.

8. THORin #StayHome

Both are equally good in my opinion. I just love both the movies so much, I couldn't say one is better than the other.

9. Leenie Registered

There is no comparison. It's an insult to Gal Gadot to even suggest this poll.

Brie Larson, while I have liked her in other movies I have seen her in, sucked in Captain Marvel. Hands down one of the worst performances I've seen in a comic book movie in a while. I don't know whether to blame her, the directors, or just the lousy script, though.

10. Gothamsknight Registered

she truly is. I thinkshe has a charm that can be compared to Christopher Reeves Superman. That reminds me, I may rewatch wonder woman soon! Love it so much.

11. Adhesive Boy Registered

I don't know if any comparison could be an insult to an actress that brought us things like this.

I don't think the "lazy mother, having had too much box wine, telling her son not to pull the family dog's tail" is the feeling we're looking for when Superman is about to go evil. That's how you suck in a superhero movie.

12. Leenie Registered

This is no worse than Brie Larson as Captain Wooden Plank. "Control your emotions," the movie said. WHAT EMOTIONS?

Gal Gadot was incredible in the Wonder Woman movie. Go on, compare Gal Gadot's best day as WW and Brie Larson's best day as Captain Marvel. lol.

Gadot has proven herself. Larson has not. At all.

13. Adhesive Boy Registered

That's way worse than all the superhero actors. There's a reason why Gal Gadot had the lead role in a big superhero movie and still don't have any movie role between it and the sequel. She's a **** actor that has to be protected by the director.

I'm not a big CM fan but Brie can at least act with some nuance. I don't think Gadot even knows what that is.

Kane52630 and Mightiest Mortal like this.
  14. Leenie Registered

We're not talking about other movies, we're talking about superhero movies, genius. In case you couldn't tell, the thread is about pitting these specific performances against each other.

Christopher Reeve didn't have much of an acting career beyond Superman. Are we going to start crapping on Christopher Reeve now?

Gal Gadot proved herself to be wonderful as Wonder Woman. Brie Larson sucks as Captain Marvel (unless proven otherwise in Endgame, but I'm not holding my breath).

15. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Gal is filming two other roles this year. I don't understand the dig there, but eh. I for one know Brie is overall a better actress, but Gal was perfect for WW. I don't understand the level of rage in some instances coming from bald @Adhesive Boy.

Flint Marko and Dark Raven like this.
  16. Adhesive Boy Registered

I've made clear statements about her superhero acting, genius. In case you couldn't tell, showing an example clip from JL and saying that it's worse than all the superhero actors has to do with superhero movies. If you didn't like the one comment outside that, why did you spend two paragraphs on it yourself?

Gadot just has too many low points to be considered good to me. A chain is not stronger than its weakest link and when you throw in poor line deliveries, over-emoting, or things like that, the illusion crumbles. None of that is due to a poor script, poor direction or any other circumstance but Gadot herself.

17. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

This comparison only proves that acting isn't everything. Gal murders Brie in charisma and looks department. Plus she has a more interesting and better looking film.

Black Narcissus and Dark Raven like this.
  18. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Gal is the type of woman you marry and then cheat on her with HER, if that makes sense. Brie is the type you also marry, but cheat on her with Gal.

:D:

OutOfBoose likes this.
  19. Leenie Registered

Dude, YOU brought up that Brie Larson has "the better acting career." Don't even. lol.

My husband once said that "Wonder Woman is the type of woman you marry ... Captain Marvel is the type of woman you divorce."

:funny:

Black Narcissus and OutOfBoose like this.
  20. Adhesive Boy Registered

First of all I didn't say anything about Brie's career. That would be unnecessary as to suggest that Gadot will win an Oscar is probably a joke even to her.

Secondly, yes, I stated outright in the post you quoted that I made a comment outside it. You didn't see that as me acknowledging that? The point I made was that if you didn't like that and didn't think it belonged in the conversation then it's not bright to spend most of your post on that point instead of the things I wrote about her superhero acting. If you don't like something, turn the focus on what's relevant.

21. Batmannerism Super-unknown

That escalated quickly. Come on folks we can be civil despite strongly disagreeing.

Is anyone here suggesting that on balance Gal is a better actress ? I'm certainly not, but for whatever reason she absolutely nailed the performance in WW, whereas somehow BL managed to be the least interesting part of her own film.

Was it a case of good direction, good writing making up for lack of acting skill/talent ? Probably, but IMO the moment where Diana and Trevor are arguing in the trench about helping free the village, and she gives him that look and say "No, but that's what I'm going to do !" is more powerful than any single moment in Captain Marvel.

When Carol has just found out that everything she thinks she knows is a lie, and then runs out of the shed and shouts "EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!" that's a combination of terrible direction, terrible writing and a poor acting choice. I wanted to laugh out loud at that point.

Maybe BL will be more engaging as CM in Endgame because the Russo's are directing.

22. B [insert witty comment]

[​IMG]

23. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I do not understand the idea that Larson is wooden and/or flat in Captain Marvel. If all you saw was the trailers, yeah. But she is a lively spirit in the film. Which I really liked. You can tell there are times where she is trying to show no emotion, and it just isn't really working. She is this woman who has been taught to repress herself, but her natural spirit is shining through. She also has a great buddy cop chemistry with SLJ as well.

Timebomb likes this.
  24. All-Father King Thor

Agreed. Gadot can't act to save her life. She makes guys like Cavill to look like an Oscar winner.

Kane52630 likes this.
  25. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Gal is an okay actress in her second language. I have checked out her in her native language, and she seems far more comfortable, which is what you would expect. Even still, she is pretty perfect in Wonder Woman.

Brie Larson is an Oscar winner, with an impressive list performances to her name.

Gal is a movie star first. Brie is an actress first. I have somehow figured out a way to appreciate and enjoy both.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.