Guardians of the Galaxy Galaxy Getaways - What did you think of the the locations/planets in the film?

speno94

Civilian
Reaction score
One of my problems with both Thor films so far is that while Asgard looks fantastic, especially in Thor: The Dark World, the other realms needed working on and their designs could have been far more interesting rather than just looking like barren wastelands or open landscapes with a different colour scheme like with Svartalfheim (green) and Jotunheim (blue). They just look dull and uninspired.

With Guardians of the Galaxy, it's a different story... Each and every location/planet looks STUNNING!

Earth - Even the opening scene on Earth was beautifully shot with the full moon and the silent misty grass at night. It looked like something from a 80's Spielberg film like E.T. Now compare that to how the Earth scenes are shot in the Thor films with New Mexico and London. It looked dull and cheap. Even the cinematography in The Avengers looked a little TV at times.

Morag - This location doesn't have a lot of screen time, but it looked like a vista straight off a pulp sci-fi cover from the 50's. It looked gorgeous.

Knowhere - Anything to do with Knowhere is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! There is a genuine sense of wonder you don't get much nowadays in sci-fi. Everything from the Celestial head, The Collector's room, the bars, the use of practical effects. It looked like a mix of Mos Eisley Cantina scene from Star Wars, Blade Runner and Firefly/Serenity. I just didn't want to leave Knowhere. In the comics, we know that Knowhere is the main base of operations for the Guardians of the Galaxy, so I cannot wait to see more of it in the sequel.

Xandar - Xandar does have a HINT of Asgard to it with the Jack Kirby shiny buildings, but in my opinion, even better executed. One of my favourite artists is Chris Foss who worked on various pulp sci- fi covers, Alien, Dune, Flash Gordon etc and James Gunn even hired him to work on the ships for GOTG and you can completely see his work on screen.

tumblr_n5w1ysbSLh1sndzdgo2_1280.jpg

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I still wanna see an epic battle between Thor and Surtur!
Thor-vs-Surtur-God-of-Thunder-Marvel-Game.jpg

This was probably one of the best moments of the film with a genuine sense of wonder, especially when they fly through the Celestial head and it's revealed that it is a huge mining colony planet.

guardians_floating_head-guardians-of-the-galaxy-trailer-shows-new-cosmic-characters.jpeg

The locations were fantastic. I watched the documentary about Jodorowsky's Dune a while back (fantastic btw) and the design of the ships and the locations in GotG reminded me a lot of the concept art for that.

It's the best looking superhero film ever, without question.

all i ever want from sci fi movies is to see space, planets, the universe and aliens. this gave me all of that. the galaxy was so colorful and the planets so varied. i enjoyed all the locations.

The different worlds and the way that they were presented in this film made me feel like a kid again. I've never been a big sci-fi junkie, but this was the kind of stuff that I constantly daydreamed about when I was a Star Wars fueled brat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"