Game Awards 2019

Reaction score
The nominees for the sixth annual Game Awards, set to honor the best in video games on Dec. 12 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, have been revealed.

Leading this year's crop of nominees is Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding, the action adventure title starring Norman Reedus that debuted in November, with 10 nominations, including game of the year and best game direction. Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen also received nominations for best performance.

Other games leading the field include Remedy and 505 Games' Control, which racked up eight nominations, including game of the year and best direction, as well as a performance nom for star Courtney Hope and Obsidian and Private Division's role-playing game The Outer Worlds, which received four noms, including best game and direction.

Control (Remedy/505 Games)

Death Stranding(Kojima Productions/SIE)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Bandai-Namco/Sora/Nintendo)

Resident Evil 2(Capcom/Capcom)

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice(From Software/Activision)

The Outer Worlds(Obsidian/Private Division)

The Game Awards Reveals Full List of Nominees

I like that Control, Resident Evil and Death Stranding are nominated since they are my list to buy. Originally Sekiro was in my list but I feel like I wouldn't like it difficulty level.

If I have to bet, I guess Death Stranding wins the game of the year/direction.

Not even a debate. Death Stranding is going to win. Keighly will make sure of it.

Some of these games chosen are...bizarre, though.

Death Stranding being on there is gross. Especially with no Devil May Cry 5.

Top 5 for me would be:

1. Sekiro
2. Devil May Cry 5
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
5. Control

All 5 of those are great games. I want to play Outer Worlds, but I am waiting for Black Friday.

Sekiro is my game of the year by a large margin, but I don't see it winning.
I think 2018 was an overall more interesting year.

Death Stranding being on there is gross. Especially with no Devil May Cry 5.

I will be shocked if Death Stranding doesn't sweep all of its awards. Its possible, like last year's surprise with Red Dead Redemption 2. But, not exactly confident. Keighly's love of Kojima is not exactly a secret.

The fighting game category annoys me. Fairly certain there were other, smaller fighting games that were released that were better than Jump Force.

Also, Nintendo full in the family games category is kind of BS. Also, how is Monster Hunter an RPG, let alone an expansion qualified for the title?

Best streamer is a joke.

I will be shocked if Death Stranding doesn't sweep all of its awards. Its possible, like last year's surprise with Red Dead Redemption 2. But, not exactly confident. Keighly's love of Kojima is not exactly a secret.

The fighting game category annoys me. Fairly certain there were other, smaller fighting games that were released that were better than Jump Force.

Also, Nintendo full in the family games category is kind of BS. Also, how is Monster Hunter an RPG, let alone an expansion qualified for the title?

Best streamer is a joke.
Isn't Keighly in the game?

That is a disaster. That is what happens when you let fans vote.

Iceborne is a giant expansion. Basically a sequel, and it does function like an RPG.

Who is up for best streamer?

A bunch of white guys.

The issues have less to do with fans voting, than it is the bizarre criterias they seem to be using and placing certain games in the categories. Much less which games even got nominated. Jump Force, c'mon...

I've only played Devil May Cry 5 and Outer Worlds. I like both and especially Outer Worlds but I wouldn't be surprised if Death Stranding dominates all of it's nominations

Best Score/Music is probably down to Death Stranding or DMC5. Ludvig Forssell’s score is one of the most unique things I’ve heard in a long while, but DMC5 has Devil Trigger...

Mads’ would be my pick for best performance. He was better in that game than he’s been in some time, right up there with his Hannibal stuff.

Sekiro is my game of the year by a large margin, but I don't see it winning.
I think 2018 was an overall more interesting year.
Yeah. Especially most of the games that were nominated in goty last year were part of a long time franchise. And I don't think the titles this year were as popular as 2018's.

I'm surprised Star Wars Fallen Jedi didn't get any nominations.

Maybe it past the cut off date. I know december usually is but maybe they extended it to mid november

Smash literally released the minute the VGA's ended last year.

But yeah, Fallen Order and Pokemon were likely after the cutoff.

If there isn't any new footage for Ghost of Tsushima, I don't care.

Pretty random this is the last game awards for the current gen possibly

Death Stranding will probably sweep the awards because everyone loves to suck Kojima's dick despite the "game" part of that game being forking awful.

Weird, i didnt heard a lot about Control at all...i expected Days gone or so but not Control.
The other nominations are fine, 2019 somehow feels like a year that hadnt "THE" blockbuster games.
Good games yeah, but nothing generation defining.

Never cared much for awards in general, im only interested in the annouces...mainly i hope that we finally get the new batman game revealed.

Control was a bit of a surprise. It wasn't on a lot of people's radars. Got a lot of rave reviews.

Weird, i didnt heard a lot about Control at all...i expected Days gone or so but not Control.
The other nominations are fine, 2019 somehow feels like a year that hadnt "THE" blockbuster games.
Good games yeah, but nothing generation defining.
Days Gone got 71 in Metacritic while Control got 82.

Also before the nominations came out, Days Gone appeared in a Watchmojo's video of disappointing games of 2019 while Control is in the list of surprise games of 2019.

I think Resident Evil 2 is genre/remake defining if not generation defining. I just don't have the urge to pick it up, as the demo was quite stressful to play. Its in the bottom of my buylist. While I'd probably pick up Control once I've picked up some older games.

Last edited:
So what game announcement reveals are you you all expecting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"