Game of Thrones - Book Readers' Thread - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sansas rape is being thrown way out of proportion because of the people involved. Drogo and Dany weren't really established yet... but from what was shown... his 'rape' was no different than Sansas... both were consummating a marriage and both got bent over and lost their virginity.

Now the aftermath is whats more disturbing... she lies in bed, locked up, all day... covered in bruises.. NOW it becomes different than Drogo and Dany's situation. but thats just me i guess.

I don't mind stuff that's not in the book, so long as it makes sense and is well written.

5 seasons of character development is "right off the bat"? I look forward to badass Sansa in season 23, then.

Because she didn't learn this when she was all alone in King's Landing?

Because all the hardship she went through up to this point was just... filler?

Has she had a reason to develop into a strong character before now, though? She started off as pretty bratty and naive at the beginning (claiming that she was in love with Jeoffrey, to top it all off). While bad things have happened to her over the course of five seasons, there has always been someone to "help" her out. She has consistently relied on someone else to come to her rescue. The difference this time is that she she is learning the hard way that help isn't there for her (she doesn't know about Brienne waiting for a signal for help at the moment).

And, this is where I criticize Game of Thrones: Most of it is filler. The story moves annoyingly slow very often. This is the big part of the reason why I don't think the series is all that great to begin with (which may very well be part of the reason why I'm not outraged about this whole thing).

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, if you wish. I'm a person who is rooting for Cersei to win it all, because she is such a deliciously horrible b****, and her winning would be hilarious, so ...

She became a strong character last season, after the abuse she suffered from Lysa, which taught her that even family couldn't keep her safe. Then in this season, she reverted. She's in great danger but she snarks off at her enemies as if goading them to harm her. She is completely helpless. We haven't seen her turn the situation into her favor or do anything remotely interesting. Instead she makes stupid decisions like walking into the dog kennel at the request of a total stranger because the writers just wanted to have a suspenseful scene.

People seem to forget she was manipulating Littlefinger himself last season. Now she seems clueless again.

She became a strong character last season, after the abuse she suffered from Lysa, which taught her that even family couldn't keep her safe. Then in this season, she reverted. She's in great danger but she snarks off at her enemies as if goading them to harm her. She is completely helpless. We haven't seen her turn the situation into her favor or do anything remotely interesting. Instead she makes stupid decisions like walking into the dog kennel at the request of a total stranger because the writers just wanted to have a suspenseful scene.

Oh, I think she has still been consistently naive about help, even when she thought she was getting stronger. Since the Purple Wedding, she has been letting Lord Baelish play her like a fiddle (when she thought she had an upper hand); to me, that much has been obvious.

I haven't finished the books or anything (and I have zero desire to), but from what I have heard, it sounds to me that Sansa is pretty much up to nothing in the books at this point. I chalk it up to the source material not being that great to begin with.

I don't mind stuff that's not in the book, so long as it makes sense and is well written.

I mean, I get it... but I don't get what people were expecting? We've known for months Sansa goes back to Winterfell... We knew this didn't bode well for her. We know how marriage in Westeros and Essos is... we know about consummation...

on another note, Sansa is more than likely pregnant... It seems like a few weeks have passed since the wedding night, and hes having sex with her every night. I wonder if she will also try to name him Eddard like Talisa did or if they will even explore this road at all (pregnant).

Lysas 'abuse' was far from Joffrey and Ramsay lol

I was expecting this, and I said I would stop watching if it happened (which I did). Others in this very forum said the same thing but now defend the show on this score.

Lysas 'abuse' was far from Joffrey and Ramsay lol

I didn't say it was as severe. The point is Sansa thought she'd be safe at last now that she was with Lysa, and she quickly found out that's not true. There are no safe places anymore.

I didn't say it was as severe. The point is Sansa thought she'd be safe at last now that she was with Lysa, and she quickly found out that's not true. There are no safe places anymore.

they will probably **** her over again too... see her reaction to jon as LC of the NW... she thinks thats a safe haven for her....

book spoilers
but Jon is stabbed in the books, so she is wanting to head to a place filled with rapist and no Jon to save her

I still think its funny that because Sansa sowed a dress, died her hair black, and teased Littlefinger (a man who is sexually obsessed with her) that some people think she was in charge of her destiny and any future situation and would never get hurt again.

Wake up, people. Sansa is in Westeros, not 21st century america, and she is a teenage girl who has no family. She isnt charge of jack ****. She has no rights. She has no power. She has very little leverage. Truth be told GRRM will probably do worse to her in the final two books, and god only knows what will happen if Sansa flees to the Wall in the show.

That's clearly where they were going. Especially with Littlefinger telling her if she wanted vengeance, she should play along. They threw it all out of the window just for the sake of "shocking" the audience with a rape scene.

Littlefinger is a sociopath. He's smooth talker that's out for himself and doesn't care whom he hurts. Sansa had him on the spot last season. This season, she's facing the consequences of it. A sociopath doesn't take kindly to a bruised ego.

@Marvolo: The BvS boards will be tame in comparison. Though there's no reason she shouldn't be intercepted by Brienne, Yara, Stannis or some combination of the three.

I interpreted the scenes from last season between Littlefinger and Sansa to be artificial. "Artificial" meaning that Sansa is gaining a false sense of confidence. She's done that to herself before (considering how she was in season 1; very bratty, naive, and gullible).

I mean, I get it... but I don't get what people were expecting? We've known for months Sansa goes back to Winterfell... We knew this didn't bode well for her. We know how marriage in Westeros and Essos is... we know about consummation...
They could have had the wedding be planned later and allowed Stannis/Brienne to intervene. Or even show Sansa basically seducing Ramsay to try to manipulate him (which is what Littlefinger was alluding to).

on another note, Sansa is more than likely pregnant... It seems like a few weeks have passed since the wedding night, and hes having sex with her every night. I wonder if she will also try to name him Eddard like Talisa did or if they will even explore this road at all (pregnant).
They'll probably show her giving herself an abortion. It's the one line they haven't crossed yet.

the title of the last episode of the season has been revealed.

It will be called "Mother's Mercy"
From HBO: Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.
Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.

ЯɘvlveR;31481615 said:

From HBO: Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.

Did they change it from "Dance of Dragons"?

Given the title Cercei is definitely taking the walk in episode 10. I really wish they had moved some stuff up and had the [blackout]Mountain vs the Hound[/blackout] in episode 9 or 10. So far this season feels like it going to end up being all set up for big set pieces next season which isnt all that fullfilling for me.

I still think its funny that because Sansa sowed a dress, died her hair black, and teased Littlefinger (a man who is sexually obsessed with her) that some people think she was in charge of her destiny and any future situation and would never get hurt again.

Wake up, people. Sansa is in Westeros, not 21st century america, and she is a teenage girl who has no family. She isnt charge of jack ****. She has no rights. She has no power. She has very little leverage. Truth be told GRRM will probably do worse to her in the final two books, and god only knows what will happen if Sansa flees to the Wall in the show.
It is not that Sansa is never to get hurt again. The problem is that they placed her in the exact situation she was in before the Purple Wedding. Sansa was suppose to take control of her life, instead she went backwards. Also, there was no need for her to actually marry Ramsay or be raped by him.

It doesn't help that there is no Lady Stoneheart. Basically, we are sitting through another season of Sansa misery, when the Starks should be gaining their power.

That's clearly where they were going. Especially with Littlefinger telling her if she wanted vengeance, she should play along. They threw it all out of the window just for the sake of "shocking" the audience with a rape scene.

D&D even said explicitly that's where they were going. But Marvolo thinks its funny for the writers of the show to think that.

ЯɘvlveR;31481615 said:

Stoneheart shows up and cuts off Ramsay's head, or **** 'em. :mad:

D&D even said explicitly that's where they were going. But Marvolo thinks its funny for the writers of the show to think that.

I think whats funny?

I dont think theyve thrown anything out the window. Littlefinger said she will have her revenge. That is a journey. That journey will have trials and tribulations. This is one of those trials. Nothing has been thrown out.

Jon is in the finale. So Hardhome goes well? I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"