Garner, Alba, and Bosworth should have rotated roles

DawnWarrior

Questioner of Authority
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a while, how all the female leads in our favorite super-hero franchises keep getting miscast. Then I thought about how it would be if each of them kind of switched roles a bit. Just imagine: Jennifer Garner as Lois Lane

Jessica Alba as Elektra

Kate Bosworth as Invisible Woman

I know Bosworth is still a little young to be hanging around Ioan Griffaud, but still. And the nice part? No one would have to dye their hair. Speaking of which, while we're at it:
Kirsten Dunst as Gwen Stacy
Bryce Dallas Howard as Mary Jane Watson

I agree with you about Bosworth as Sue and Garner as Lois, but Alba could never be Elektra.

The age thing for Bosworth wouldn't be a problem. Sue is supposed to be a lot younger than Reed, anyway.

I agree with you about Bosworth as Sue and Garner as Lois, but Alba could never be Elektra.

The age thing for Bosworth wouldn't be a problem. Sue is supposed to be a lot younger than Reed, anyway.
Agreed, though Sue is also older than Johnny, whereas Kate is younger than Chris Evans (Johnny) who is actually the same as Alba.

And of course, Garner would have needed someone closer to her age playing Superman opposite her.

I was just saying that Jennifer Garner would be a great Lois Lane. Not in the current movies, just in general.

Eh, I guess I'm partial because I'm just not a fan; I don't think Alba's right for any of these roles, including the one she's currently playing.

I also thought Bosworth and (to a lesser extent) Garner were fine in their roles, but could've used stronger material.

Alba's just not that strong of an actress. She would have struggled with Elektra and Lois as well.

Garner as Lois and Bosworth as Sue are interesting though. Better material would have helped, as neither was particularly given anything noteworthy. I didn't like Lois' characterization at all and Elektra could have been decent with a story that wasn't so hackneyed.

Garner was perfect as Elektra, forget the Greek heritage stuff. The only thing that hurt Elektra was the story/script. The entire cast was excellent.

Both Alba & Bosworth aren't that strong in the acting department. Alba as eye candy got people in the seats and she certainly looked the part of young Sue Storm. There's not much good to say about what Bosworth did in SR.

Neither Alba or Bosworth could've played Elektra.

I disagree about switching Dunst and Howard. While I only really thought Dunst was just ok as MJ, I thought Howard was a almost perfect match for Gwen Stacy.

Jennifer Garner as Lois Lane
Sure, why not. Jennifer Garner's pretty good, and if they had cast a '5 years gone' cast instead of a 'fresh out of graduation gown' cast, it'd have been a great match.

Jessica Alba as Elektra
The problem with Jessica Alba is that she looks like Eye Candy, but in her head she's not, neither do her acting strengths play towards the 'hot girlfriend' roles she is exclusively offered. Until they give her something a bit more motherly, she's going to continue to "suck." Elektra would have been no different, neither would she have looked the part. She's not a 'badass female assassain' actress either. Give her somebody truly conflicted like Authority's Engineer or Holly Robinson, maybe a Jewel (somehow can't remember her real name) and I think she'll pleasantly surprise many. Until that point, yeah, Alba's not what's up.

Kate Bosworth as Invisible Woman

Barring the hollowness of IW, especially, in the FF movies, Bosworth generally is acceptable, as IW really isn't that much of a defined character. She has no outstanding lines in her long history ("I'm the Goddamn Batman" "With Great Power comes...") and few outstanding storylines. Both going evil (Malice) being caught inbetween two guys (Namor), being pregnant (Franklin) are well within Bosworth's acting ability.

Kirsten Dunst as Gwen Stacy
I don't really like Dunst in these movies. I would have to see her in glasses to decide if I could take her as Gwen. It's certainly within her range, but I feel almost ZERO draw to the woman, even though she's reasonably attractive.

Bryce Dallas Howard as Mary Jane Watson
It it had been played party animal, that would have been pretty awesome. I like her energy and stuff. They still would have dyed her hair redder, to make it more comic book, but I would have loved it.

I disagree about switching Dunst and Howard. While I only really thought Dunst was just ok as MJ, I thought Howard was a almost perfect match for Gwen Stacy.
agreed.
I think she nailed the character perfectly.

Jessica Alba as Elektra
The problem with Jessica Alba is that she looks like Eye Candy, but in her head she's not, neither do her acting strengths play towards the 'hot girlfriend' roles she is exclusively offered. Until they give her something a bit more motherly, she's going to continue to "suck." Elektra would have been no different, neither would she have looked the part. She's not a 'badass female assassain' actress either. Give her somebody truly conflicted like Authority's Engineer or Holly Robinson, maybe a Jewel (somehow can't remember her real name) and I think she'll pleasantly surprise many. Until that point, yeah, Alba's not what's up.

Agreed. Still, I can't help thinking that there MUST be a superheroine that Alba would be qualified to portray.

authority's engineer who's that

She's a scientist with a T-1000 coating... well... T-1000 on steroids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_(comics)

Agreed. Still, I can't help thinking that there MUST be a superheroine that Alba would be qualified to portray.

Alba is actually surprisingly suited to play Sue Storm, I think it was Johnny Storm who was most miscast. The problem, in my mind, was that Sue Storm was not written as motherly or protective on much any level, but was the hot girlfriend, and most of her plot involved choosing between Dr. Doom and Mr. Fantastic (THERE'S a hard one) and she did little to care for the guys on the team at all, and if she did, it was likely a comedy scene, and had little meaning at all.

Aside from a more comic book-like Invisible Woman, she did a good job in Sin City, again, a hot character with a storyline. I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a 4-color superheroine for Alba, because being unattainable and being badass are just not how she rolls.

Can you think of a superheroine that is neither unattainable nor badass? Can't think of any.

Arana?

Alba is actually surprisingly suited to play Sue Storm, I think it was Johnny Storm who was most miscast.
Dude! Chris Evans as Johnny was one of the best things in the movie!!

When I started this thread, I certainly wasn't suggesting that a role rotation would have solved everything; merely that it would have been a nominal improvement. Bosworth was too young for Lois, and is probably also too young for Susie, but at least she wouldn't have to pretend to be brunette. Seeing Alba as a badass assassin makes more sense to me than seeing her trying to be matronly (although the FF script failed on that front anyway). If, say, the three actresses rotated the other way, giving us Garner as Invisible Woman, Alba as Lois, and Bosworth as Elektra, that would have been even worse (though Jen Garner might not have been bad as Sue either.)

The only casting I agree with here would have been Bryce Dallas Howard as MJ. When you see how easy it was for her to make the Gwen Stacy role ten times more likeable to MJ when she had 3 scenes to Dunst's 3 films. She could play any role and I'd watch it.

bryce howard as mary jane :up:

topher grace as peter parker:up:

I've never really understood Alba's appeal. She never struck me as being all that attractive and she's certainly not that strong of an actress. At any rate, an older actress, someone more in her early 30s, should have been cast as Sue in the FF films. Alba & Evans don't look right as siblings, mostly because you can tell they're the same age as opposed to a big sister/little brother. bad place, Alba looks like she should be playing Evans' girlfriend instead of his sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"