Gen13 Appreciation/Discussion Thread

TheCorpulent1 said:
This should be in the DC forum, since Gen13 is a Wildstorm title.

Anyway, I never read much Gen13, though I became familiar with a few characters through hearsay. Question: did Gen13 change a lot over its run(s)? That seems to be a common thing for Wildstorm titles. StormWatch had spin-offs and evolved into the Authority, WildCATS evolved into a corporate drama with superheroics as a secondary concern at best, etc. Did Gen13 get major changes to its core concepts and characters too?

TYes, there was a point where they changed the whole cast only one of them was from the original team (I can't remember who). I can't remember if they also tried doing the "years later" thing where the original cast was a little older.

Regarding the new Gen13...writer: Gail Simone, artist: Talent Caldwell.

I almost want to read it for Simone's dialogue, if nothing else, but Caldwell and my general lack of interest in Gen13 is more than enough to keep me away.

Isn't wildstorm doing a huge revamp of all their titles this september? Or was I just reading the whole captain atom thing incorrectly.

kiuju2k said:
Isn't wildstorm doing a huge revamp of all their titles this september? Or was I just reading the whole captain atom thing incorrectly.

Yes, they're restarting their universe.

Yep. Jim Lee mentioned on the last page of Captain Atom: Armageddon that most of the creators have decided to just take a lot of the existing elements and characters that they liked and revamp them into the "new" stuff, though, so it's not like the new Wildstorm stuff will be totally foreign to Wildstorm fans.

Gen 13 got boring very quickly after the first mini-series. I collected it to about #25 or so and stopped - just hoping it would get better. Kinda like Cyberforce, too. Good starts and went down hill really quickly.

That's funny Cap. I thought the mine series was boring. I didn't think the comic got good until after the mine series.

Cap1970 said:
Gen 13 got boring very quickly after the first mini-series. I collected it to about #25 or so and stopped - just hoping it would get better. Kinda like Cyberforce, too. Good starts and went down hill really quickly.

Weird. I thought the mini series was boring. I didn't think it got good until after the mini series. Funny.

Gen 13 is supposed to get rebooted soon isn't it? Gail Simone and Talent Caldwell are supposed to be the creative team...well, that's what I read a while back.

I hope it comes out soon, I've got some extra slots to fill in my pull list since I've dropped a few titles.

Supposed to be coming out in September along with the big Wildstorm reboot. All of them should be great. Talent like Grant Morrison, Ennis, Jim Lee. Man, I can't wait.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that they are putting so much great talent into the Wildstorm reboot. Grant Morrison on WildCATS...hmmm...while I was never interested in that book back in the 90's, I might just have to pick it up because Morrison is absolutely insane, and I mean that in a good way.

But I'm mostly looking forward to Gen 13. :up:

You should go back and check out some of the more recent Wildcats runs. I know for sure 3.0 was freakin sweet!

Morrison is also gonna be on the Authority. So that rocks. And Garth Ennis on a midnighter solo book! I'm so freakin there.

Wow. I can pretty safely say I'm the only one who liked the "new" Gen13 with Ale Garza's four new creations. It had faults, but it was my formal introduction to Gen13 and I loved every second of it. I thought their powers were incredibly diverse and different if not outright creative and enjoyed the mystery of the whole thing... and for once... teenagers looked like teenagers. I missed that book.

I think Gen13 may be one of the few Wildstorm reboots I'll be ignoring. Simone's disappointed me as often as she's dazzled me lately, and Talent Caldwell is an irredeemable hack trained by that other irredeemable hack Michael Turner. Plus, I never really cared much about Gen13 before anyway.

Wow, you really don't like Talent Caldwell. I'm looking forward to seeing how well he does considering I really liked his artwork from Specatcular Spider-Man, on that one issue where Spidey was at The Thing's poker game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"