Gender Roles & Identity in contemporary society

The integral parts of being a man, what makes a man....a man. The good, the bad, all of it.

That's enlightening.

If men are doing so great, why are the suicide rates higher for men than women?

Its crazy man I cant go out anymore with my wife because dudes one after another are hooting trying to grab her and running into walls and just completly out of control. Its almost like all men need to be locked up like the wild animals they are. Nevermind in 36 years I have only seen a hand full of incidents like on tv or the ussual liquid courage in the bar scene but tv news says its out of control so darn it man a post.
Ask a woman that doesn't have a man with her as a barrier. Every single woman I have known well as an adult has ****ing horror stories about the outrageous nonsense they've had to put up with.

50314375_10104865435759687_2266120974111866880_n.jpg

You're frustrating. Punishing bullies doesn't help on the larger scale. Could it work for one kid? Sure. But it's not the best way to correct the behaviour overall.

And the narrative is still that women are harassed twice as often as men, in the workplace and they're being touched 3x more often than men. And that was just one survey.

But if 43% reported it whos to say just like the 81% for women those numbers arent higher for both there just not being reported more?

It would appear your trying to sweep that 43% under the rug when in fact its still quite high

Ask a woman that doesn't have a man with her as a barrier. Every single woman I have known well as an adult has ****ing horror stories about the outrageous nonsense they've had to put up with.
Those are personal experiences and dont count bro

But if 43% reported it whos to say just like the 81% for women those numbers arent higher for both there just not being reported more?

They could be. But those are the numbers we have. And it paints a very bleak picture.

Those are personal experiences and dont count bro

Luckily for him, his claim is backed by statistical evidence. You say that you don't see sexual harassment and therefore, it must not be as prevalent as we make it out to be.

So I ask you, if 8 out of 10 women have experienced sexual harassment, is it a problem?

I saw a twitter post recently... I can't remember who from... and it posed a thought:

Ask the women in your life how old they were when they first felt objectified sexually by a man. Now... contemplate the fact that for most women... the age of that event is usually around 12-13 years old, or earlier.

I find that telling.

Last edited:
It really isn't every man. But when you see conversations like this, it kind of paints why the situation is a problem. Even if a man does not do it themselves, to many seem so willing to simply rationalize and even defend such behavior. Boys being boys, women are too sensitive, can't a man be a man anymore, etc.

When a lot of men started complaining about Me Too, they went directly to "Well we aren't Harvey Weinstein". It became a way to downplay sexual harassment, assault and poor treatment of women in general by men. And thus it was no wonder that so many reacted poorly to that. Because that is exactly how we got to a place where people like Weinstein, R Kelly and Trump could do what they did.

But you know who is really under attack? Men.

Caring for others, competitiveness, confidence, strong and caring, loving, aggressive, being a go getter, taking responsibility, self reliance, feeding his family...
I know plenty of women like this, and where these things don't apply to men at all.

Like both genders experience an alarming high rate instead of the narrative its just women?

No one said it's just women. But women experience it more and it, historically, has made women inferior to men in society. Not only that, but women are the smaller sex. When a man is sexually harassed, they don't perceive their lives to be in danger at the level that a woman does. When women reject a man, there is a very real fear that it could lead to violence:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/bjg8dz/how-rejection-turns-men-violent

The role entitlement, rejection can play in misogyny and violence against women

Boys not learning how to handle rejection has dangerous consequences

Luckily for him, his claim is backed by statistical evidence. You say that you don't see sexual harassment and therefore, it must not be as prevalent as we make it out to be.

So I ask you, if 8 out of 10 women have experienced sexual harassment, is it a problem?[/QUOTE

Of course

Also, and this is a big one as well, men are the perpetrators in the large majority of sexual abuse and sexual assault cases involving male victims (from a Canadian website).

Toxic masculinity hurts men just as much as women. Men should want other men to be better.

That's enlightening.

If men are doing so great, why are the suicide rates higher for men than women?
Lots of reasons. I believe the #1 reason are financial issues usually as a result of a divorce or the loss of employment

No one said it's just women. But women experience it more and it, historically, has made women inferior to men in society. Not only that, but women are the smaller sex. When a man is sexually harassed, they don't perceive their lives to be in danger at the level that a woman does. When women reject a man, there is a very real fear that it could lead to violence:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/bjg8dz/how-rejection-turns-men-violent

The role entitlement, rejection can play in misogyny and violence against women

Boys not learning how to handle rejection has dangerous consequences

I think a big assumption being made is that all the 43% of men being harassed are being harassed by women.

Lots of reasons. I believe the #1 reason are financial issues usually as a result of a divorce or the loss of employment

You believe...

The suicide gap: Why men are more likely to kill themselves

That’s mainly due to two things: “One is that men use more lethal means [to attempt suicide], and the second is that they don’t seek care as much

Having mental health issues is a major predictor for suicide – almost everyone who dies from suicide has an underlying mental health problem. “Ninety percent of people who die by suicide are experiencing some sort of mental illness or addiction, most often depression,” says Ed Mantler, vice president of programs and priorities at the Mental Health Commission of Canada. But not everyone with mental illness kills themselves. So what distinguishes those who do from those who don’t?

One thing is a strong support system. There’s evidence that men who adhere more strongly to masculine ideals see getting psychological help more negatively

The big picture answer to this problem, says Oliffe, is addressing the issue of masculinity in our culture. “I really do think our society and culture needs to take collective responsibility in redefining what it means to be a man,” he says

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"