General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' started by Thread Manager, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]522443[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]514077[/split]

3. Marvolo

Marvolo Well-Known Member

New thread time.

[​IMG]

4. StarLord

StarLord You're Welcome

Part 3! Woo!

[​IMG]

5. -VisionsVision-

-VisionsVision- Geralt of Rivia

Mmm the smell of a new thread.

6. Lobo

Lobo Snow Wifey

Haha what a perfect gif to start the new thread :D

7. Marvolo

8. kickass

kickass Well-Known Member

9. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Sounds like Leia is stepping up to the plate big time with this one.

10. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Which sucks because it feels like Carrie's role in TLJ is right on top before the big drop on a rollercoaster (which I assume would be her role in 9).

I'm aware I'm jumping the gun, but unless they reshoot some scenes and record some ADR for TLJ to help explain Leia's whereabouts, or even changing the ending to her off, it's a toughie. I trust Lucasfilm, but depending on where they go with Leia, maybe they should consider recasting her in the next one (in which, I'm sure Carrie would've been okay with it)* instead of 'Oh she's in a cry-sleep'.

*Actually, I had a conversation with a few friends about Leia's fate, and all of us wouldn't mind so much, especially our emotions have settled down since her death. Back in Jan, it was a different story.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  11. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I honestly think recasting is the way to go. Carrie is my heart, but the role seems incredibly important to the story and other characters going forward. As you said Octoberist, I believe she would have given her blessing.

12. Roose Bolton

Roose Bolton Son of Katas

In theory I'm not opposed to it, though it's one of those characters where it's hard for me to think who they'd get.

13. DarthSkywalker

Patricia Heaton, without hesitation.

14. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ what.

15. DarthSkywalker

You okay Sawyer? You seem to have hit your head.

16. Marvolo

I'd rather they just go the Tarkin route if they can refine it by the time they get to post production for Episode IX. Going from Carrie in episode IV - VIII to another actress in Episode IX would distract me more than them using cgi. Thinking about it I'm reminded of how distracting it was that Oracle had to be recast in Matrix Revolutions. Tho that film at least had the benefit of being able to explain the Oracle's change in appearance. And Oracle wasnt a beloved character that had been played by only one actress over a 40 year time span. I really can't imagine Leia being played by anyone but Carrie nor do I care to imagine it. So either cutting Leia from IX or using cgi would be preferable to me. If they don't want to go the Tarkin route they can give Poe the role that Leia would have had in Episode IX. Any stuff that would have happened between Leia and Ben could be shifted to Luke.

17. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

I'll be honest..that probably won't work unless it's like..2-3 minutes of screen time.

The CG was okay on Tarkin and young Leia, but we're not *there* yet. And we won't because the progression on CG takes a lot of time. It seems like it advances every 5 years or so, unless someone like Cameron puts down the money for the R&D. Trust me on this, I know a few freelance artists and producers who work that field and at ILM, WETA, Pixamondo, Digital Domain, and Double Negative (I just don't brag about it!)

Also, no matter what, a CG 2016 Fisher in the end won't be real.

18. sueb1863

sueb1863 Well-Known Member

If Leia is going to have any respectable amount of screen time and interaction with other characters, and there's no way to write her out, I think they're going to have to recast. Fake Leia just isn't going to work. No matter how great the CGI is, the audience is going to know that isn't really Fisher.

19. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

I don't think there will be a recast. Again I think they will whittle down the role somewhat, and possibly try to work it around deleted footage among other things. I think recasting her is as risky as CGI. I don't think LFL will go that route.

20. kickass

kickass Well-Known Member

I'd rather they kill the character off than recast or cgi her. Editing will help in selling the point, especially if you have a monumental build up of music and cut backs to Leia on board her ship as it gets blown to pieces (think of Tarkin on the first Death Star). Then they can add reshoots and possibly have Poe take whatever place Leia would have had in the Resistance.

Of course, we don't know the specific dynamics and what is left of Leai's character by the end of the film, but based on what we think we know, that's what I'd do.

21. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

See I can see her role being reduced (maybe like, splitting her original role in the story with Mon Mothma. But then when it comes to the end of Episode 9, IF there is a celebration and Leia's still alive, then she has to be present right?

I guess you'd have to CG her, and get an actress sounds like her.

22. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Looks like TLJ will go back to do a few reshoots. Which is normal of course for any film but I think its also to address Leia's role as well.

But yeah, we just don't know enough about the current situation in general. And any decision will be difficult.

Let's say they opt to kill her off in TLJ, I hope it comes off as meaningful, since that wasn't the original plan. Then I'm sure the script is being rewritten as we speak for Episode 9. Again, bring in the actress who played Mon Mothma - she's still actively working on the BBC. That also means that Kylo's arc has to be altered too, if both of his parents are dead/killed by Episode 9.

23. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

If Leia plays an important role in Episode IX, then they should recast. They need to service the character and the narrative above all else, as hard as it may be to swallow.

24. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

It's a tough situation no matter what.

25. Solidus

Solidus Knights of Ren

The TLJ reshoots were debunked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.