The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/839528609543041028
The audience at this Disney shareholder meeting is getting a first look at scenes from STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI right now

https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller
"Star Wars: The Last Jedi" clip is being screened. But it's a joke, sort of! We just got a few seconds of Rey handing Luke a lightsaber.
We just saw more "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" footage. In it, Luke asks Rey, "Who are you?" Then we see her deftly handle a lightsaber. Also making appearances in "The Last Jedi" footage: Chewbacca, General Leia Organa and Finn. One last thing on the "Last Jedi" footage: We saw all sorts of settings -- mountains, oceans, forests, deserts. Look suitably epic, exotic. More on "The Last Jedi" clip: We saw a shot of an X-wing wobbling mid-air, under attack inside a giant ship. Looked like a wounded bird.

Last edited:
So it seems that Luke does not know who Rey is, at least initially. I wonder what this means for all of our Rey Skywalker hopes and dreams? Darth, where are you to help me keep the faith? Also, it seems that Rian Johnson recently tweeted that "The Last Jedi" means "the final Jedi", whatever that means.

Rian tweeted more on that later. I think he's still being cryptic on the Last/Final Jedi thing. We shall see. As for Rey, I just want a good story, I'm excited to see what they came up with.

Though I do think back to something Rian said a month or so ago about Rey meeting Luke and pretty much being "disappointed". He said something about how when we meet someone legendary or something like that that the reality is not what we expected. I wonder if Luke may be a little out of it, or something, kind of a little goofy in another way like Yoda was at first.

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/839300875545780224?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/839303270283694081?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Last edited:
Yoda pretended not to be Yoda initially to Luke in TESB to test him.

Luke asking Rey "Who are you?" doesn't mean he doesn't know who she is.

it could be a rhetorical question to test her. by the end of TFA, I'm sure Rey herself doesn't really know "who she is" anymore.

What's the point of screening clips for shareholders? Legit question lol. What are the chances the shareholders want something added or changed to the film? Do they have a creative say?

The last thing we need are more callbacks to the OT. The LAST lol.

You can have general elements that are not necessarily callbacks. People will always relate things to one another it is what it is.

Luke just may not be what he seems at first, but not necessarily like Yoda, as he was goofy.

What's the point of screening clips for shareholders? Legit question lol. What are the chances the shareholders want something added or changed to the film? Do they have a creative say?

No they don't, it's just to show the products that they are about to release, to get investors excited or calm nerves.

Luke asking Rey "Who are you?" doesn't mean he doesn't know who she is.

it could be a rhetorical question to test her. by the end of TFA, I'm sure Rey herself doesn't really know "who she is" anymore.

Even though it is a cut line from TFA, in the third trailer Maz does ask Rey "Who are you?" In the same vein of a rhetorical question. But I have not seen this footage so hard to tell.

Even though it is a cut line from TFA, in the third trailer Maz does ask Rey "Who are you?" In the same vein of a rhetorical question. But I have not seen this footage so hard to tell.

yep. I was reminded of that Maz line, too.

They've got a stake in the product, so they have a right to see what the product is.

So it seems that Luke does not know who Rey is, at least initially. I wonder what this means for all of our Rey Skywalker hopes and dreams? Darth, where are you to help me keep the faith? Also, it seems that Rian Johnson recently tweeted that "The Last Jedi" means "the final Jedi", whatever that means.
My running theory has been Luke either doesn't know he has a child or thinks she is dead. So this fits that theory nicely.

There is something funny about Rey standing there with the lightsaber looking all deferential to Luke and him walking up to her and just grabbing the saber and asking, "Who are you?".

Really isn't how I thought that would go.:hehe:

Makes me think Luke might be unhappy to have visitors. That maybe at first he just wants her to go away and leave him alone. And it takes some coaxing to motivate him.

Last edited:
I don't think Luke is Rey's father.

But that doesn't mean he isn't testing her like Yoda. Like, 'Who do you think you are?' (If it even makes the final cut - Maz asking Rey 'Who are you?' in the TFA trailer didn't make it into the movie - instead she quizzes Han.)

They weren't going to 'give away the store' at the very beginning of the movie anyway. That comes later.

I've also said before that I found it likely after VII that the reveal would involve Kylo Ren in the same scene or sequence of scenes as Rey because he's her brother and the other huge role.

Like Luke and Vader, it was between the main hero and the villain, not between the hero and the mentor. The mentors didn't reveal anything to the hero until after the hero and villain had their dramatic scene.

BTW, this below is now the canon first direct confrontation between Luke and Vader before The Empire Strikes Back. It is also described in the new Scholastic Darth Vader Sith Lord book (from Marvel's Star Wars #2).

KPNCsYU.jpg

Rian Johnson: I don't understand trailers that spell out the entire plot. Would much rather a trailer entice me. (January 25, 2017)

She is either Luke's or Leia's imo. But only one has the Skywalker name, so...

My running theory has been Luke either doesn't know he has a child or thinks she is dead. So this fits that theory nicely.

I'd say he thinks she's dead.

something extremely tragic had to have happened for Luke, the brave hero from the OT, to just say "**** it all" and live in exile like a hermit.

yeah, having your nephew betray you and wipe out your new order of young Jedi would be traumatic by itself. but thinking you lost your daughter, and possibly you wife as well, would make it even more tragic.

Ob1 hid her from Luke.... He has a history of doing this. Must not like families. And again. The force fails...

She is either Luke's or Leia's imo. But only one has the Skywalker name, so...

Or both of theirs given the current trends in genre fiction. :sly:

More seriously, I'm still a little bummed out that Rey's abandonment on Jakku doesn't line up chronologically with Kylo's betrayal. I was such a big fan of the theory after TFA that Luke's daughter was another of Luke's students and that Kylo was not able to bring himself to kill her, so he hid her away on Jakku and wiped her memory. Everyone would have thought that she died in the massacre. Jakku would have been the last stop before heading into the Unknown Regions to join Snoke. It would perfectly explain why Kylo flipped out when he received the report that Finn and BB-8 were assisted by a girl. It would have also explained Luke's self-imposed exile. The loss of a child is a heavy weight.

Last, on the topic of the big reveal by the villain, it would have set up one killer reveal by Kylo of the truth in Episode 8 and set the stage for inner conflict about what to do about Kylo. The fact that he saved Rey would have left a window open for his redemption. Rian's got to have something better in store for us because that was one awesome fan theory.

Ob1 hid her from Luke.... He has a history of doing this. Must not like families. And again. The force fails...

Obi was dead and a force ghost when Rey was born. He couldnt have hid her.

Luke asking Rey "who are you" after all the online rumors and speculation could be very funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"