The Last Jedi General Episode VIII News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contradict his books? You mean the Thrawn trilogy? It's not canon, and Aftermath over-writes a lot of what happens in it. Not really setting up the old Thrawn trilogy

It's all up to the Story Group, and they have become strict with it. Now they are definitely pulling some vague ideas from Legends, Thrawn has been an anomaly so far, let's see if that continues to be the case.

Last edited:
If she is indeed Luke's daughter, I hope they keep Mara Jade his lover/spouse. I imagine she would be dead by now though.

With Zahn writing the new Thrawn book, I can see him using some of the same characters and keeping things he can in tact. I do like what he said:

"Alternatively, if the new movies do contradict my books in some way, I can probably come up with some hand-waving story that will explain the apparent discrepancy."

I doubt he will keep much of anything intact aside from Thrawn himself. This new book is set during the Imperial era. His old Thrawn books were post-Imperial era and are no longer canon, and the Aftermath trilogy pretty much erases everything that happened in the old Thrawn books. I doubt we will see characters from the old Thrawn trilogy aside from Thrawn himself. If Mara Jade does exist in the new canon and an Emperor's Hand and ends up being Luke's lover after ROTJ she wont be introduced by Zahn in a book before Episode 8 or 9 is released. If she is a less significant character in the new canon and not connected to Luke or the story in the new films then maybe Zahn would be allowed to introduce her in this new book.

If you are expecting this new Thrawn book to keep things intact you should probably lose that expectation. Otherwise youre likely to be disappointed.

Last edited:
Didn't somebody connected to the production say that Rey isn't related to any of the characters we know?

I doubt he will keep much of anything intact aside from Thrawn himself. This new book is set during the Imperial era. His old Thrawn books were post-Imperial era and are no longer canon, and the Aftermath trilogy pretty much erases everything that happened in the old Thrawn books. I doubt we will see characters from the old Thrawn trilogy aside from Thrawn himself. If Mara Jade does exist in the new canon and an Emperor's Hand and ends up being Luke's lover after ROTJ she wont be introduced by Zahn in a book before Episode 8 or 9 is released. If she is a less significant character in the new canon and not connected to Luke or the story in the new films then maybe Zahn would be allowed to introduce her in this new book.

If you are expecting this new Thrawn book to keep things intact you should probably lose that expectation. Otherwise youre likely to be disappointed.

I don't expect much, tbh. I'm fine with the new canon and I like the old canon too. I think it's cool they've brought things from the old canon to the new. I hope they continue to do that, there's a lot of great ideas from the EU.

I think they could hint at Mara being in it without explicitly saying it if she does indeed end up being Luke's wife in the new canon.

I could see Captain Palleon being in it, Rukh was already mentioned as a code in Rebels.

Like I said, keep some of the things he can in tact. I don't expect the new Thrawn to be a reprint of the original. I'm looking forward to this book a lot for the new ideas. I just wouldn't mind seeing some of the old ideas/characters being in there too. :woot:

Didn't somebody connected to the production say that Rey isn't related to any of the characters we know?

Probably, but they wouldnt tell us if she is related to a character we know so its not confirmation of anything.

I thought Daisy Ridley also said it was blatantly obvious who her parents were? Maybe she was being sarcastic. I haven't seen the interview where she says that. Just seen the posts on here.

Yeah don't expect a lot of other characters. I followed the old EU from 93 onward as a younger person. There are lots of good ideas but they are not going to directly pull from them. I have a feeling Thrawn was to throw a little bit of a bone to those upset that the old EU is no longer canon. And he fits into his new position well.

Aftermath really does erase the Thrawn trilogy, the Remnants, what happens to it with Rax, yeah there is not really anyway to connect that. I'd say Mara is a no go. I remember many thought that Rey was really "Jania (I think we all know who I'm talking about) but no. There is for sure broad inspirations, and some of the macro events of the old EU, is referenced to. But for the most part they are pulling good parts but twisting it to their new stories, and using it in a light way. Nothing heavy handed outside of Thrawn, and his story is very different than before now.

I thought Daisy Ridley also said it was blatantly obvious who her parents were? Maybe she was being sarcastic. I haven't seen the interview where she says that. Just seen the posts on here.

Yeah I think she said something vaguely like that. She also said she was told who her parents were on the first day on set of TFA.

Everyone is playing games. Which would of course make it really weird if she isn't related. Lets keeping hiding this, playing word games, because she is some random people's kid.

She's like Luke, she's very much like Luke.

latest

Considering this is basically the "main thread", there is going to be a new Darth Vader comic starting in June. New writer (writer of Lando, Obi/Anakin and Poe), apparently set not too long after RotS. So hoping for some Jedi hunting:

rR7ZhCz.jpg

Yep. From what the writer has said, it's basically Vader: Year One.

Sounds promising. Though it has a lot to live up to. Thankfully they are exploring a different timeline, one many want to see what Vader was up to.

The last Vader comic started out strong with Vader Down as the best part. Then it devolved into the weird story of the Jedi cyborg pupils. I'm glad they're mining the III-IV period some more because the IV-V well is running dry. Many of the things Luke and the crew do in this period ****ing rival the things they did in the movies. That's the downside of canon.

The last Vader comic started out strong with Vader Down as the best part. Then it devolved into the weird story of the Jedi cyborg pupils. I'm glad they're mining the III-IV period some more because the IV-V well is running dry. Many of the things Luke and the crew do in this period ****ing rival the things they did in the movies. That's the downside of canon.
I thought the Vader book just got better and better. Also, there were no "Jedi cyborg pupils". They were cyborgs, with lightsabers. They did not practice in the ways of the Force. They were challenging Vader as "hi tech replacements". Technology over the ways of the Force.

I don't expect much, tbh. I'm fine with the new canon and I like the old canon too. I think it's cool they've brought things from the old canon to the new. I hope they continue to do that, there's a lot of great ideas from the EU.

I think they could hint at Mara being in it without explicitly saying it if she does indeed end up being Luke's wife in the new canon.

I could see Captain Palleon being in it, Rukh was already mentioned as a code in Rebels.

Like I said, keep some of the things he can in tact. I don't expect the new Thrawn to be a reprint of the original. I'm looking forward to this book a lot for the new ideas. I just wouldn't mind seeing some of the old ideas/characters being in there too. :woot:

I figure any possible Mara Jade reintroduction would only even be hinted out if two things happened: 1) Rey is revealed to be a Skywalker, and 2) her mother is going to have a high-profile role in Inter-trilogy stories.

Fans of Mara Jade know the character is more than just "Luke's Official Love Interest," but from a marketing standpoint, that ties her into the Big Three of Luke, Han, and Leia in a manner similar to a Sixth Power Ranger. And as such, it gives executives the faith to give the character more appearances and starring roles. There's a reason Mara started being the main attraction of some Zahn books after the Hand of Thrawn Duology. You remove the "fast-track" to the Big Three, and Mara will naturally be treated as a second stringer when she thrived as a first stringer for the Post-ROTJ stories.

Having said that, I do think that any potential SkyMom is going to have to be constructed to match Mara Jade, and may very well use her as a blueprint, if not just outright modify her and reintroduce her. Timothy Zahn managed to create a Gorgeous Redhead Super Spy With Force Skills In Black Leather as Luke's Official Love Interest... and it worked. And Mara was a financial success to the old Legends EU, so you know there's money there, particularly if she were to, say, be the star of that Post-ROTJ cartoon Filoni is rumored to be working on...

And, just to point this out, having Rey or Finn run into some recognizable actress with red hair in First Order space who's been trapped there for about 15 years would be a nice hook for another movie. And Michelle Fairley's probably available...

I like Mara and I'd probably like her over any other potential Luke love-interest, but everything points to her remaining in Legends. Zahn himself recently reaffirmed that while Thrawn was canon and that LFL were bringing in other Legends characters, Mara wasn't going to be one of them. Unless she's a female clone of Gar Saxon, in which case....kinky.

All I know is that one was an unholy lovechild of Grevious and Admiral Ackbar and there was a Space!Lannister couple and some guy with Greedo DNA. Really what we need to be looking at is more abominations of nature showing up down the line. Hopefully a Wookie/Hutt hybrid.

Considering this is basically the "main thread", there is going to be a new Darth Vader comic starting in June. New writer (writer of Lando, Obi/Anakin and Poe), apparently set not too long after RotS. So hoping for some Jedi hunting:

rR7ZhCz.jpg

Looks promising. Always wanted to find out more about what Vader did shortly after ROTS (excluding the Dark Lord trilogy - had some interesting bits but the non-Vader stuff was boring, imo).

I like Mara and I'd probably like her over any other potential Luke love-interest, but everything points to her remaining in Legends. Zahn himself recently reaffirmed that while Thrawn was canon and that LFL were bringing in other Legends characters, Mara wasn't going to be one of them. Unless she's a female clone of Gar Saxon, in which case....kinky.

Hmmm, when did he say this? If you got a link, that would be nice. :woot:

I may pick up that Vader comic. I bought the Vader Down graphic novel and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The first issue of the Darth Maul comic was decent, not outstanding. But I'll definitely keep reading them as they come out.

The prequel trilogy was about parents and children since when?

It being a generational Skywalker story is more what I mean in terms of the six films being about parents and children.

The Episode films need to remain the Skywalker saga. We have stand alone films to explore other character's stories.

They really don't. There are no rules saying you can't. Star Wars can be so much than just the Skywalkers. If we look at the original film, it's just a space adventure that had a bunch of possibilities. They happened to go in that direction afterwards, but now you're in the same position to set a new direction. I don't mind Kylo Ren, the villain being a Skywalker, but Rey the protagonist just being another Skywalker is so boring. We have three Skywalkers already (gonna be at two by 9). That's more than enough for a sequel trilogy.

It being a generational Skywalker story is more what I mean in terms of the six films being about parents and children.

They really don't. There are no rules saying you can't. Star Wars can be so much than just the Skywalkers. If we look at the original film, it's just a space adventure that had a bunch of possibilities. They happened to go in that direction afterwards, but now you're in the same position to set a new direction. I don't mind Kylo Ren, the villain being a Skywalker, but Rey the protagonist just being another Skywalker is so boring. We have three Skywalkers already (gonna be at two by 9). That's more than enough for a sequel trilogy.

And we have stand alone films for films starring non skywalker characters. Besides, the Episodes being about a Skywalker doesnt limit star wars, anyways, so it can still be "so much more" even if the Episodes are the Skywalker family saga. Itd not even straining credulity. Skywalker's have kids and are prominent Force users and important to the Jedi legacy. Makes perfect sense that a Skywalker would always be involved with the Jedi and the goings on of the Galaxy. What I find harder to believe is that the Skywalkers would stop being Jedi or force users and would stop getting involved in the fate of the galaxy. If they do another trilogy and a Skywalker is not around Im just going to be wondering what they are doing thats so much more inportant than fighting for the galaxy. If they made Luke someone that didnt have kids that would answer that, but that would completely remove Disney and Lucasfilm's ability to ever have another Skywalker lead character so I dont think they would do that.

There is only two options here: either the Skywalker name ends with Luke or he passes the name on to his child. Pretty easy to see which one would appral to Disney and Lucasfilm and the storygroup. But maybr Lucasfilm and Disney will go the unexpected less financially sensible route. Or I suppose it could turn out that Shmi had another son or the Skywalker line had another unknown male line, but that is a convoluted way to continue the Skywalker name. Easiest thing to do is just make Luke a father.

George Lucas wanted it to be a family story from the beginning. Originally Star Wars (1977) was about a father who went on an adventure with his two sons. He sort of came back around to that idea by making Luke and Leia siblings and Darth Vader as their father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"