General News/Discussion Thread-Han Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Solidus, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lighthouse Fairness, Equality, Bacon

[​IMG]

2. FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Worked hand-in-hand with Benicio del Toro (also the producer). Pet project for both, no pun intended.

Cast it, assembled crew, sets built, everything was ready to go. Then a week before filming was supposed to start... walked.

Putting everyone in a bind, especially the Oscar-winning actor/buddy with his own good name on the line, as now the production was bleeding money and not a frame of film was even shot. Plus this was already viewed as a bit of a chancey project.

To help salvage things, Uni brought in one Joe Johnston to get things moving. And in the end, Johnston was rightfully seen as the good guy in the aftermath... regardless of how The Wolf Man turned out (It flopped and was a big fat write-off for Uni). Meanwhile Romanek is lucky to get within walking distance of a studio gig. Again, rightfully.

Thus.. why Johnston's name was brought up to take over Han Solo. He's been down this rabbit-hole before. So has Ron Howard... but that's another story for another day...

3. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Why did he walk?

4. guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Apparently they clashed almost immediately, but all parties involved really did try to work it out. That's why their statement said they hate the term "creative differences", but in this case, that is actually the truth. Besides, it's not like Lord and Miller are gonna be hurting for work. Maybe they can get back on the Flash and actually get that ball rolling.

5. guitarsingerguy Who am I?

Johnston also has the previous Star Wars connection obviously, so I'm sure that didn't hurt his chances. That's actually who I thought was gonna get the gig.

6. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

BTS of the Lord and Miller shoot on Solo.

[​IMG]
    :o

7. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

On the bright side, if it works out, I may get my Han Solo trilogy I wanted. :woot:

#907 DarthSkywalker, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  8. Wheels Groovy

We'll see. Maybe I'll co-sign on to that. It's pretty humorous to me that you want that at the moment and not me.

9. Elayis Registered

Meh. Howard was obviously brought on because he's friends with Kennedy. Kind of questionable given his recent track record (especially those godawful Robert Langdon films), but I'm sure he'll deliver a safe, non offensive product.

10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I feel like around these parts, I am the only one who wants these movies, so maybe not that humorous? :funny:

I don't know. I just really love this idea, and I want it to work. If they make it work, then I am all aboard.

11. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Rush was fantastic.

12. MadVillainy C'mon Son

Phenomenal

13. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I have seen it a good ten times. As a F1 fan, it is even better. And because of that, I really think it comes down to the material with Howard.

14. dax Registered

There's also the fact that Ron worked with both George Lucas and Harrison Ford on that little movie called "American Graffiti" and he also directed Willow, with George as the writer.

15. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

That has more then zero to do with this. :funny:

16. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

Ron was one of George's choices for The Phantom Menace, and one of the few directors I think he really trusted the same way he trusts Spielberg. There's a tie to Lucasfilm, in the sense that he probably knows Kathy and Kasdan pretty well.

That said, at this point I'm expecting nothing from this film, from its conception through to this current point of drama I've not been a fan of the idea of this project.

17. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

You cut me deep Roose. :o

18. Roose Bolton Son of Katas

They're giving me Han Solo, but what I really need is a Piett spin off, detailing his life on the Executor.

19. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

We need that as a VR game.

20. Wheels Groovy

To me about the coolest thing that Lucasfilm could do is an Old Republic trilogy, with a bounty hunters film being a very close second.

21. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

Saga films aside, the coolest thing they could do for me is a Darth Vader film based off the ridiculously good comic from Gillen.

22. OnTheAir Wakandan Ambassador

23. Elayis Registered

It was alright, seemed more like a TV movie to me. Pretty by the numbers. I liked Frost/Nixon a lot more.

He's a decent choice, certainly better than Johnston or Kasdan (I like his earlier films, though). I just don't think he'll bring anything surprising to the film. It'll probably be okay but it won't stretch the franchise into any new or interesting areas.

I may not be a big fan of Lord & Miller but I was looking forward to what they could bring out in the cast, particularly Ehrenreich & Glover. Maybe they'd even get Clarke to move out of her comfort zone. All of that is gone now. Howard comes from the old school, and while that may bring a dependability to the film it also means we know what we'll be getting. Some of the cast might even depart the film, given that's a frequent occurrence with a director change. But with this film already deep into production maybe that won't happen this time.

I knew all of that already. I'm just not sure how much a connection with Lucas means to the franchise at this point. I know Kennedy and Disney like to pay lip service to it (even trotting him out at Celebration, which I was surprised by), but Star Wars isn't his anymore. He sold it. I was under the impression that he wasn't even a periphery consultant, that he had completely parted company. So his relationship with Howard (even if he was asked to direct TPM) doesn't mean anything at this point.

24. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I think the biggest issue seemed to be that they were said to be going off script.

If Lord and Miller filmed the stuff in the script and then did some alternative improve based takes then I think they would of been fine. It sounds like they ignored the script and did their own thing which is probably going to get you on the bad side of the writers, producers and studio execs.

It is kind of hard to justify all the time and resources to film some improve comedy scene that wasn't in the script to the studio I would imagine.

25. The Guard Registered

The more I think about it, Howard is a big name to bring on for mop up work just because he's s friend. Starting to wonder how much of this is damage control and how in trouble this thing is/was. The producers seem to be pointing the finger at Lord and Miller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.