Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Han Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine them not filming the scenes as scripted in addition to improved lines. That’s about as basic as filmmaking gets. But maybe the process was different for them coming from smaller budget comedies that they wrote themselves. Maybe they never learned that you have to get what's on the page shot first before any improve happens.

I think it's probably just the generational gap and difference in shooting styles that was the issue. I think I recall Kasdan being a stickler for keeping to the script at all costs, on any project but especially a pet/vanity project like this that's being directed by somebody else. Time not spent shooting what's in the script is time/money wasted, and Kennedy probably feels the same way.

Not sure how much improv Abrams or Johnson encourage on their films. Perhaps it's an approach to filmmaking the producers at Lucasfilm have never dealt with firsthand, especially on a big budget film.

As others have stated, the thing that has all of us scratching our heads is how they didn't see this coming and why it took so long to rectify. Lord/Miller's style is patently obvious, it's hard to imagine Kennedy and Disney didn't know what they were getting into with them when they were first hired, let alone the year or more spent in pre-production. How were they allowed to work on this film for two years, complete 3/4 of the shoot and only then told that their ideas for the film didn't mesh with the studio's? Creative differences like this are usually hashed out before production begins.

It just seems like on this film they misjudged their sensibilities meshing with the directors, which is essential on these big franchise films. Kennedy and Disney seem to have miscalculated and did not do their due diligence. Lord/Miller thought they were hired to make their own movie (like DC with Nolan, Singer, Snyder, Yates) and Kennedy thought they hired team players that would be grateful to work on a Star Wars film and stay within the guidelines that were provided. But for that to work, like it does with Marvel, you either need to hire exactly the right people who see the film the same way (like Abrams and Johnson) or get relative newcomers who’ve never had final cut or worked on very many Hollywood movies.

All this does it make Kennedy and Lucasfilm look incompetent and overconfident in their own success. It seems like after turning a train wreck like Rogue One into a massive hit at the box office they thought they could do no wrong. If the reports are right and Kennedy was hardly (if ever) on set and only looked at the footage recently, it's clear she's not on top of the ball (you'd think after Rogue One they'd try to avoid something like that happening again).

Hopefully from now on they’ll be more careful who they hire and not just get the latest hot director. Communication is key, especially when dealing with a franchise like Star Wars with billions of dollars riding on its success.

They should’ve listened to Han…

pqoYJhu.gif

The more I think about it, Howard is a big name to bring on for mop up work just because he's s friend. Starting to wonder how much of this is damage control and how in trouble this thing is/was. The producers seem to be pointing the finger at Lord and Miller.

Was a big name. His career has been on the decline for nearly a decade. He still works on moderately big films with popular actors but he hasn't had a big critical or financial success in awhile. I'm sure he sees this as a surefire way to be at the head of almost certain box office success. That and the chance to work on a Star Wars film after all these years. As you say, I'm not so sure a director with his background and experience would so readily take on what amounts to a clean-up job, where the bulk of the work was done by other people.

I wonder how and when the conversations first started with him. Surely there were discussions before Monday when Lord/Miller were fired. Did Kennedy approach him first or did he somehow hear through the grapevine the film was in trouble and he put his hat in for consideration?

Yeah, I'm not quite sure you should be making such a declaration when you compare filmographies.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure you should be making such a declaration when you compare filmographies.
If I am honest, even though they only have 4 movies, they have 4 movies I rather love. Howard has like 2.

Ron Howard directing a Han Solo movie is like George Lucas directing Annie Hall. Howard just doesn't fit. Another SW film, maybe, (the man is a fine filmmaker, he's just so damn vanilla) but I don't look at a Howard film and think he'd be perfect for Han Solo.

I shouldn't have to choose between the two, but I'd honestly take the Lord and Miller "insanity" off the wall comedic tone of a Han Solo movie over the safe, sterile nostalgia pandering film we're gonna actually get now. At least an off putting, strange movie is more interesting.

That .net story seemed heavily biased in favor of Kennedy and Kasdan's camps.

I kind of feel this shouldn't have gotten this far.

I could say I love 2-3 of Howards films and then there's like 7-8 others that I really liked. I loved Lego Movie and really liked the other 3 of L and M's.

It's probably hard to get an unbiased account from sites this soon after the incident. Just have to wait till the dust settles down the road.

It's weird. I feel like when the Variety story dropped, it didn't really paint Kennedy and Kasdan in the best light. And since then, there's just been a steady stream of coverage that dumps on Lord and Miller.

The whole Ace Ventura thing just seems bizarre and not really in keeping with what I've seen from them.

Ron Howard's last five movies:

Inferno
In the Heart of the Sea
Rush
The Dilemma
Angels & Demons

It's weird. I feel like when the Variety story dropped, it didn't really paint Kennedy and Kasdan in the best light. And since then, there's just been a steady stream of coverage that dumps on Lord and Miller.

The whole Ace Ventura thing just seems bizarre and not really in keeping with what I've seen from them.

My general impression is to not necessarily to believe any of these reports at face value. That reason being even if these outlets do have sources, those sources could still have an agenda and might be feeding information to these outlets so the story gets painted or presented in a certain way.

Now look, there might be a grain of truth to the screwball comedy angle. However, if you tell a bunch of Star Wars fans that Lord and Miller were basically turning Han Solo into Ace Ventura, that's automatically going to get those fans on your side whereas they'd normally probably side with the guys who did The LEGO movie.

Here is what I don't get, that .net article has glowing praise for Ehrenreich's apparent performance as Solo. So how is his performance that awesome if in fact they are turning him into Ace Ventura? IMHO something isn't computing here, and it's why I have skepticism over all of this.

Last edited:
That boring ass whale movie, goodness. Still can't believe that got made.

My general impression is not necessarily to believe any of these reports at face value. That reason being even if these outlets do have sources, those sources could still have an agenda and might be feeding information to these outlets so the story gets painted or presented in a certain way.

Now look, there might be a grain of truth to the screwball comedy angle. However, if you tell a bunch of Star Wars fans that Lord and Miller were basically turning Han Solo into Ace Ventura, that's automatically going to get those fans on your side whereas they'd normally probably side with the guys who did The LEGO movie.

Here is what I don't get, that .net article has glowing praise for Ehrenreich's apparent performance as Solo. So how is his performance that awesome if in fact they are turning him into Ace Ventura? IMHO something isn't computing here, and it's why I have skepticism over all of this.

Excellent points all the way through. That's why this is all so bizarre to me. It just doesn't add up. Like marcvader suggested, I really want to see how this plays out once everything is said and done.

I'm seeing things as true where the multiple sources have all reported. Kasdan didn't like Lord and Miller, Alden voiced his concerns, a more comedic tone, they didn't play ball on the reshoots...

So it's up to the person to decide the what and how of these things and whether who was right or wrong. Just do the math from past evidence combined with the baffling thing of firing a team three weeks before filming. The firing seems like an industry ego play. And it also shows when it comes down to it, Kennedy prefers people who don't offer newer ideas for SW. She likes safe. The Last Jedi better be exceptional. It literally has to be. I really want Johnson to deliver and buck the trend. Then there will be SOME hope for this. Johnson says it's been the best creative experience, great. I'm intrigued what the hell these ideas were and if they're out there, how the hell they got Kennedy to allow them. If so, I'll give her the credit.

Last edited:
My general impression is not necessarily to believe any of these reports at face value. That reason being even if these outlets do have sources, those sources could still have an agenda and might be feeding information to these outlets so the story gets painted or presented in a certain way.

"Hey guys, don't forget, whatshisname is great as Han!"

That boring ass whale movie, goodness. Still can't believe that got made.

There were a bunch of scripts going around Hollywood doing a more gritty realistic take of Moby Dick. Not sure how it started. One script I saw got passed around was basically a more realistic take on Moby Dick with Ahab and co and focuses on Ahab and his family. For example, it basically shows Ahab's first encounter with Moby Dick setting him on the path for revenge. The injury not only takes his leg, but somehow also injures his manhood, so he can't perform with his life. So it's not that Moby Dick took away his leg, he emasculated him. There's a weird scene in this script where Ahab's melancholy wife goes into the ocean and basically makes love to the water. Weird script.

So basically, some producers really wanted to do a new take on Moby Dick using either the Essex story, or dressing down Herman Melville's novel to make it more realistic.

I'm seeing things as true where the multiple sources have all reported. Kasdan didn't like Lord and Miller, Alden voiced his concerns, a more comedic tone, they didn't play ball on the reshoots...

So it's up to the person to decide the what and how of these things and whether who was right or wrong. Just do the math from past evidence combined with the baffling thing of firing a team three weeks before filming. The firing seems like an industry ego play. And it also shows when it comes down to it, Kennedy prefers people who don't offer newer ideas for SW. So far, when it comes down to it, she likes safe. The Last Jedi better be exceptional. It literally has to be. I really want Johnson to deliver and buck the trend. Then there will be SOME hope for this.
Yeah, but Kasdan was also apparently the guy who campaigned for Lord and Miller and basically got them the gig.

Is this a case of buyer's remorse?

There were a bunch of scripts going around Hollywood doing a more gritty realistic take of Moby Dick. Not sure how it started. One script I saw got passed around was basically a more realistic take on Moby Dick with Ahab and co and focuses on Ahab and his family. For example, it basically shows Ahab's first encounter with Moby Dick setting him on the path for revenge. The injury not only takes his leg, but somehow also injures his manhood, so he can't perform with his life. So it's not that Moby Dick took away his leg, he emasculated him. There's a weird scene in this script where Ahab's melancholy wife goes into the ocean and basically makes love to the water. Weird script.

So basically, some producers really wanted to do a new take on Moby Dick using either the Essex story, or dressing down Herman Melville's novel to make it more realistic.

What I would have given to witness this in IMAX preferably.

But truthfully, I was fine with the realistic angle. I was actually really excited for the film. But then I saw it and it was just a bunch of nothing happening. Just people looking miserable and hungry, whale shows up, people look scared and hungry, whale leaves, back to hungry misery.

So it's hard to get excited about Howard taking on any SW film. He has just stopped being interesting. He's like the most accomplished hired gun in Hollywood.

Yeah, but Kasdan was also apparently the guy who campaigned for Lord and Miller and basically got them the gig.

I guess it is. People can be wrong. It's just weird. I get realizing over the course of the film that something's wrong, but how in the hell in these two years of development that they didn't sense that they were the wrong pick??? It's one of the reasons why I think it's part ego play. Lord and Miller, good on them, didn't bend over like Edwards did. In this situation, Lord and Miller don't look like the bad guys at all. All the other stuff is spin to make it look like Lucasfilm was right to fire them three weeks before shooting ended. No it wasn't. Again, do the math here. It doesn't favor Lucasfilm.

If they were going way off script? Then yes.

Don't care what happened behind the scenes as long as the finished product is something I will enjoy. Rogue One turned out to be one of my favorite SW films and favorite in general last year.

Ron Howard directing a Han Solo movie is like George Lucas directing Annie Hall. Howard just doesn't fit. Another SW film, maybe, (the man is a fine filmmaker, he's just so damn vanilla) but I don't look at a Howard film and think he'd be perfect for Han Solo.

I shouldn't have to choose between the two, but I'd honestly take the Lord and Miller "insanity" off the wall comedic tone of a Han Solo movie over the safe, sterile nostalgia pandering film we're gonna actually get now. At least an off putting, strange movie is more interesting.

Do you just copy and paste this phrase for your posts? You never fail to mention and remind us how safe and nostalgic you think Disney Star Wars is.

Don't care what happened behind the scenes as long as the finished product is something I will enjoy. Rogue One turned out to be one of my favorite SW films and favorite in general last year.

At this point this is exactly where I am, and I also like Howard.

Do you just copy and paste this phrase for your posts? You never fail to mention and remind us how safe and nostalgic you think Disney Star Wars is.
Far more daring to make 3 awful, nonsensical movies. :oldrazz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"