Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the teaser during the SB. Looks like Rogue Two featuring discount Han Solo. The only faith I have in it is Kasdan and Howard being better filmmakers than Rian Johnson. My faith isn't in Lucasfilm.

tumblr_oag60mtDfU1tsaf9zo1_r1_1280.gif

Yeah, shame on that Lucasfilm for delivering three solid SW films in a two-year period.

Actually Han Solo:

tumblr_p3njmyEgmW1tjk4tmo7_540.gif

Though this is interesting. Those who have this problem, do you not see Ewan as Obi-Wan?

Alec played Obi for half a film so I attach Alec much less to the character. Plus it helps that I grew up with both Alec and Ewan playing the character.

If they do the Anthology Obi film without Ewan I'm gonna have the same problem with it that I have with this Solo film.

Umm, Alec was Obi-wan for more than half a film...

Looks cool. Kind of disappointed that they are going full origin, instead of random adventure. Also really annoyed at the title.

I love the visuals and really appreciate that they seem to be keeping his time with the Imperial Navy intact. Would be cool if freeing Chewie and the other Wookiee slaves is what sends him "solo".

Most importantly, Lando looks impossibly cool. If he gets a spinoff film of his own after this, all will be justified.

Alec played Obi for half a film so I attach Alec much less to the character. Plus it helps that I grew up with both Alec and Ewan playing the character.

If they do the Anthology Obi film without Ewan I'm gonna have the same problem with it that I have with this Solo film.
What? Alec was in Star Wars as much as Ford as Han Solo, and appeared in both Empire and RotJ multiple times. :funny:

I'd also like to point out, Sir Alec is the only actor to receive an Oscar nomination for his turn.

In other words, I don't care how visually appealing it looks (which it does), I don't believe a film with this level of production issues will produce a good end product.

I honestly don't get it anymore, and I think I'm well past the point of even wanting to try.
I totally get you. On the plus side, I am enjoying myself and it seems you are as well. :woot:

I totally get you. On the plus side, I am enjoying myself and it seems you are as well. :woot:

Of course. I'm getting to see new Star Wars on the big screen without having to endure over-the-top/bordering on offensive alien sidekicks, an overabundance of CGI environments, a romance the entire trilogy hinges on that has damn near zero chemistry, or an assortment of relentlessly dull sci-fi politic-based conversations.

Has it been perfect thus far? Perhaps not. But it sure beats what we thought we were left with a decade ago.

Do I need a young Han Solo movie? Not necessarily. But that doesn't mean I won't still enjoy the hell out of it, as long as it hits my sweet spots.

There were some great shots in the teaser but I'm still not excited for this film. We'll see how the full trailer goes, I guess.

The teaser definitely makes me feel a lot less worried about this film. We'll see if the full trailer builds on it or deflates it.

I think my first initial thought about this film was what some others felt: Is it really necessary? That said, I like to remain optimistic about things, and this teaser was awesome in my book. I love the visuals, Glover's appearance as Lando, and what we say of Alden doesn't look too bad as Han. His voice sounds decent. I guess we will probably see more from him in the trailer tomorrow, hopefully. Maybe a Boba Fett tease too.

I reaaaallllyyy hope they keep Han being in the Imperial Academy in this film, it kinda sounds like they may be leaning that way, but all in all, I'm really curious to see how this film plays out in some aspects. I'm really rooting for thisd film to be great. It has a lot of negativity surrounding it in so many ways.

That SB spot was just what the doctor ordered!

It all looks really good. But the spot doesn't really get into anything either so I get some feeling it lacked a certain texture to all the imagery. Still, I liked it and think it's exactly what the film needed marketing wise right now. A true trailer will give me more to form an opinion on but at least production design wise it looks more or less the equal of R1 and TLJ.

I know it probably won't happen, but I would love it if the entire movie were filmed keeping Han's face in shadow. I actually had that idea a couple days ago, I'm glad to see the filmmakers had the same idea, at least for this trailer. Again, it probably won't happen, but it would be a unique way to present the movie, I can't think of another movie that's done that.

I think that would be the completely wrong way to handle it, and would draw far more attention to it being a new actor than just treating it like any other film and acting like it's no big deal.

Last edited:
The only faith I have in it is Kasdan and Howard being better filmmakers than Rian Johnson.

Ridiculous. Not that Kasdan and Howard aren't great directors, but even the reasonable/sane segment of TLJ detractors would have to acknowledge Rian's skill as a filmmaker. Discount TLJ if you will, look at the rest of his stuff.

Also...

tumblr_p3njmyEgmW1tjk4tmo7_540.gif

This shot's great. The appearance difference between Ford & Ehrenreich never bugged me much (better than getting a Ford clone who can't act), but this shot just screams "Han" way more than anything we've seen so far in the set pics or promo art.

Very cool, that sold me on the appearance working at least. Still a little unsure about the voice, but it's impossible to make a call on that yet. Psyched for the full trailer tomorrow.

Kinda not loving the very Rogue One-ish photography (Rogue One looks awesome, but guess I was hoping for something a little more its own thing for this), but we've barely seen anything. Sure the non-Empire-related stuff will probably be a little brighter & prettier, more colorful aspects to it.

Last edited:
So you don't want to see Ewan play the character again? Also, I'd say Obi-Wan was as significant to the OT as Han. Not Luke or Vader, but Han? Yeah.

I want to see anything! The more films the better for me.

I was just saying that I doubt as many people would have the same reservation about someone else playing Obi-Wan as the role was not intended to be a definitive version of the character being an old hermit who had given up Jedi ways long ago.

The roles as written I guess you could say had a more similar significance to the story but Harrison Ford escalated the character to one of the favourite in cinema history so there is going to be a lot more people who will hold the performance to a higher standard comparing to Ford’s portrayal.

the reason why i'm so excited for the new han solo film. #han4lyf!!!
[YT]LUD1KACl7tA[/YT]

Well damn...
I was one that honestly wasn't even gonna see this in theaters.
But that footage was really great.
The visuals looked amazing, very Rogue One-ish but I love that kind of look. Also very much like Blade Runner 2044.
I think they did a good job in making things we have (like the microphone) look alien enough, but still obvious as to what it is. Unlike Rogue One and TLJ, there were so many props that looked too "earth-y" for me.

OMG that shot of the Falcon's interior all new and fresh was amazing and I literally never thought about that. So cool!!!! And you can see in that last shot of the Falcon the exterior is so clean and has a blue paint job too. Great idea.

Alden looks good. No matter what it's gonna be hard as hell to buy anyone as THE Han Solo, so I'm try my hardest and not think about that aspect too much.

Woody looks like I'd expect. I really hope he doesn't do a ham job in this.

Lando IS Lando...... ( know what I said)

May I say Emilia Clarke looks amazingly beautiful here. Like, damn.

I feel like I would've liked that last shot with Chewie a little better if he hadn't spoken. I dunno why....

So uh, yeah.....count me in on being hella curious about the full trailer.

It looks alright... I'm not a big Star Wars guy, so I'm personally starting to feel a little burned out on them though.

Ok, that was cool. I was a little concerned because of the production problems but Kennedy has delivered so far on the new films. Count me in as hyped :up:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"