Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I can understand everyone's point about not wanting to see an "impressionist" movie, and the Shatner/Pine correlation, but for some reason it is SO hard to accept Alden as Han. I would say Han is only a few notches higher on the Awesome Sci-Fi Heroes of My Childhood Meter. But it is/was so much easier, even initially to accept Pine as Kirk. Maybe because ALL the familiar characters were there with him played by different people. Not just a Kirk movie with Spock as a side character or something. I dunno, just typing out loud...

You know, I can understand everyone's point about not wanting to see an "impressionist" movie, and the Shatner/Pine correlation, but for some reason it is SO hard to accept Alden as Han. I would say Han is only a few notches higher on the Awesome Sci-Fi Heroes of My Childhood Meter. But it is/was so much easier, even initially to accept Pine as Kirk. Maybe because ALL the familiar characters were there with him played by different people. Not just a Kirk movie with Spock as a side character or something. I dunno, just typing out loud...

I'm a huge trekkie yet I was totally ok with the Shatner/Pine situation. I think the whole new crew worked great as a revision of the old crew. It was the writers who sunk it down.

I think Glover looks great as Lando so far and Suotamo as Chewbacca as well. :funny: But Ford as Han was so idiosyncratic, you know, just Ford being roguish himself. :woot: Alden has quite a different feeling to him. He was awkward in those trailer scenes.

Saying something isn't coherent doesn't make it incoherent. I am asking specifics. Like if you asked me why RotS makes very little sense, I would jump to Anakin's transition and the way it happens on a dime, and he is suddenly full on evil. I'd point to why Obi-Wan doesn't seem all that concerned about Padme being choked.That Padme dies of a broken heart, specifically pointed out by the medical droid. What exactly Dooku was doing laying that huge piece of ship on Obi-Wan instead of crushing his legs.

tumblr_p3p14huF751vec0xno2_500.gif

tumblr_p3p14huF751vec0xno3_500.gif

tumblr_p3p14huF751vec0xno4_500.gif

tumblr_p3p14huF751vec0xno5_500.gif

tumblr_p3p14huF751vec0xno1_500.gif

Saying something isn't coherent doesn't make it incoherent. I am asking specifics. Like if you asked me why RotS makes very little sense, I would jump to Anakin's transition and the way it happens on a dime, and he is suddenly full on evil. I'd point to why Obi-Wan doesn't seem all that concerned about Padme being choked.That Padme dies of a broken heart, specifically pointed out by the medical droid. What exactly Dooku was doing laying that huge piece of ship on Obi-Wan instead of crushing his legs.

Consona avoided giving me specifics when I was in this debate. I doubt you will get them.

He doesn't have to resemble Ford for me, but needs some of Solo's daring, unpredictability and cocky swagger as you mention.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I see a bit of that in this teaser. Now, it's not enough yet to make me say he's nailed it or he hasn't, but it's only a teaser. I certainly don't see anything cringeworthy.

Hopefully that's what Rian Johnson's trilogy will be. Something not beholden to the OT. If it is it will be breaking a mold that even the prequels were in to a degree. In terms of design aesthetic and production the PT was original in a lot of ways, but it was still tied to the OT to a degree that it shouldn't have been, especially because it ended up doing narrative damage to the OT. There was no reason for R2, 3PO, or Chewie to be there, for instance.

Well, hopefully Johnson's trilogy is a start with other filmmakers following suit. I really wasn't crazy about TLJ, but the idea of moving on from the past to start something new is the right one.

They can't keep complaining about long time fans wanting" the same thing" if they keep making the same thing over and over again.

Time to make a break and tell new SW stories. The books, games , and cartoons have done it since 1983. No reason that the live action films can't as well.

The time gap helps. We just saw Ford as Han Solo 2 years ago. It was 18 years from Star Trek VI to the reboot with Chris Pine.

Speaking of, there's another new Star Wars movie series being written by GoT writers.

Well, hopefully Johnson's trilogy is a start with other filmmakers following suit. I really wasn't crazy about TLJ, but the idea of moving on from the past to start something new is the right one.

They can't keep complaining about long time fans wanting" the same thing" if they keep making the same thing over and over again.

Time to make a break and tell new SW stories. The books, games , and cartoons have done it since 1983. No reason that the live action films can't as well.

To be fair, a lot of the EU material was derivative of the OT. Not all, but a lot. There were several standalone Han Solo books that were, in essence, no different than what this film is. Self-cannibalism in Star Wars is not a new thing. Even Return of the Jedi was derivative of the first film. So I don't see what Disney/Kennedy has been doing as fundamentally that much different, though I think they've leaned into the iconography too much. I want to see more new ship designs, new droids, new settings.

For the most part the ship designs need to stick to what is established and evolve naturally. Like what Rian did with the walkers at the end of TLJ. They look like a natural evolution of the Imperial walkers. Better guns, bigger, more armor, better leg articulation etc. Its the same with the Star Destroyers, ties, Xwings etc. BB8 and his droid line is another good design evolution in the films. Its more durable and its gyroscopic ball allows it more maneuverability. And its reduced size allows it to go more places. If they introduce any new ships they need to fit with the current aestethic that's been established.

But if we ever get a film set in the Unknown Regions or a film involving the Chiss I want to see some completely new and "alien" designs. Or if we get a film set 100+ years after the First Order era then Id like to see some more radical new designs.

To be fair, a lot of the EU material was derivative of the OT. Not all, but a lot. There were several standalone Han Solo books that were, in essence, no different than what this film is. Self-cannibalism in Star Wars is not a new thing. Even Return of the Jedi was derivative of the first film. So I don't see what Disney/Kennedy has been doing as fundamentally that much different, though I think they've leaned into the iconography too much. I want to see more new ship designs, new droids, new settings.

Which is what i'm referring to. The non Skywalker centered stories. That has been the case since ROTJ but yes, you're correct that alot has been derivative of the OT. The point is that the EU created a SW universe that isn't bound by the Skywalker story but is a universe filled with different tales and characters.

And yes, Disney/Kennedy hasn't been doing much different which is why they should do something new along the lines of focusing on new characters in the same universe and having new trilogies and spin offs unrelated to the same family or story. With today's announcement , I suspect that's what they'll be doing anyway.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I see a bit of that in this teaser. Now, it's not enough yet to make me say he's nailed it or he hasn't, but it's only a teaser. I certainly don't see anything cringeworthy.

Yeah, same here.

There was no reason for R2, 3PO, or Chewie to be there, for instance.

I think R2 and 3PO were in the PT because Lucas said at one point that the only characters who would be in all nine of his planned SW movies would be the droids. I guess for him they're one element that ties them all together.

i feel the same.
ehrenreich seems fine so far in what little is in the trailers - but we really gotta wait and see till the full movie is out. nothing's made me go "awww man this guy sucks!"

i hope he does good - this is his big break. and i'm wishing the kid success.

i know some folks bring up anthony ingruber - and i watched his videos - they're good impressions - but it would not seem natural if he was in the movie, imo.

just comes off as impressionism - and not acting.

just comes off as impressionism - and not acting.
Bingo. I still don't like Alden in the role based on what we've seen thus far, but I saw Anthony Ingruber as young Ford in that Age of Adaline movie, and he came across as more of an impressionist than an actor to me.

I'm a huge trekkie yet I was totally ok with the Shatner/Pine situation. I think the whole new crew worked great as a revision of the old crew. It was the writers who sunk it down.

I think Glover looks great as Lando so far and Suotamo as Chewbacca as well. :funny: But Ford as Han was so idiosyncratic, you know, just Ford being roguish himself. :woot: Alden has quite a different feeling to him. He was awkward in those trailer scenes.

The entire crew, timeline, aesthetics and even the Enterprise being different helped. This is suppose to be the sam Han as in the original trilogy.

I have mixed feelings about TLJ but I agree that Looper has a lot of problems that for some reason get overlooked.

Time Cop is like Looper, but a million times better. Same matter cannot occupy same space.

Should have gone with Ansel Elgort to play Han Solo

The trailer looks cool. Lots of beautiful visuals and the supporting characters all look great. But Alden just sucks as Han. His voice and mannerisms are just way off. I know it shouldn't be much to go off from a 2 minute trailer but everything I saw makes me think that Alden will be the weakest link in this film

And they apparently brought in an acting coach for him, so WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"