Solo General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 3

It's not true, but if it on the off-chance is, they should replace her with Kiri Hart for ****s and giggles. See how the usual suspects deal with that.

I could see Disney scrapping the "Star Wars movie every year" plan and going with a plan in which they'll release trilogy movies every two or three years, then an anthology sort of movie every two years or so between trilogies. A SW every year was too ambitious, I think. It turned the release of a SW movie into just another release.

That's what I wanted from the start, two years between the saga and anthology flicks. Or like, once IX is done, if you're planning on more saga movies after that at least leave it 10 years.

They've gotta make the most of having the brand in the stable now, but you don't necessarily have to do that with a movie every single year. Space out the films, and maybe devote a slightly higher percentage of the SW pie to more animated series and games and stuff.

While I don't think Kennedy is out, given all the money brought in from the recent Star Wars films- Solo's missteps and Last Jedi's divisiveness notwithstanding, anyway- it'd be interesting to see if this rumor starts catching fire, even if it turns out to be nothing.

I am not one disappointed in any way with the Disney/Lucasfilm era but even I think that for the company as a whole they should start looking into original content not based on the IPs they already have. I mean, SW, IJ... WILLOW? What else do they have? Diversification would probably not hurt.

Well, obviously he will if they are going to make a movie about him. But the prospect of it just doesn't interest me. I like Ewan a lot as an actor but when I watched him as Obi-Wan, it was like George Lucas stuck a vacuum cleaner attachment up his butt and sucked all the charisma out of him. I'm sure he'll be better with a good director and a good script but I'm just kind of over this character in general. Yeah, we get it. Obi-Wan is badass and a noble Jedi who is haunted by his failure with Anakin. I don't really need to see any more of him.

I think most feel he was the most charismatic performer and character in the entire prequel trilogy. Thus why many have for years wanted a Kenobi solo movie.

Original Lucasfilm IP is a great idea, yeah. Get into that Willow/The Dark Crystal/Labyrinth mindset (I know The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth weren't Lucasfilm, but Kurtz produced the former and Lucas the latter).

Seems they don't really have any interest in expanding the Indy brand too much for now, other than the upcoming movie, and Star Wars is still pretty fresh-out-of-the-gate with the new Disney era, but still.

That'd be a great idea, especially as vehicles for some of the older Lucasfilm veterans to direct. Go relatively small, like 60-70 million dollar budgets, lots of freedom aside from being necessary to be in that Lucasfilm tone/feel. and set them loose.

I could see Disney scrapping the "Star Wars movie every year" plan and going with a plan in which they'll release trilogy movies every two or three years, then an anthology sort of movie every two years or so between trilogies. A SW every year was too ambitious, I think. It turned the release of a SW movie into just another release.

I don't think that will happen. I think it's more likely that they scrap their fairly apparent idea to go to two films per year, which all the talked about films in production hint at.

One film per year isn't particularly ambitious for what at least was the biggest film franchise in the world. It's execution that has gotten us to where we are, not the weakness of the brand.

I think the whole "Star Wars can't do one film per year" is in the same category as "superhero fatigue" (we had 6-8 live action ones last year, depending on which you count).

Well, as someone who's been struggling with my own superhero fatigue for the past few years, to me it's just another reason I really don't need to see the market flooded with Star Wars.

Call me old fashioned, but I miss the days when all of this stuff felt more special. Infinity War, the current biggest superhero film of all time, already feels like an afterthought to me. Like ok, that movie happened. The impact is just lost in this sea of content we're swimming in. Meanwhile, TDK is gonna be 10 years old in a month, and it still stands out and feels as iconic as ever.

Of course, that's just my own personal feeling. Obviously superhero movies are still making bank, and I don't deny that the quality has been there for the most part. I just would hate to get to this point with Star Wars where I don't feel the need to check out every film because it doesn't feel like a special event anymore. It was borderline there with Solo, with my wife needing her arm twisted to agree to go see it. And we both are fans of TFA/RO/TLJ.

I'm glad that there will at least be a year and a half wait until we go back to GFFA. An eternity in today's terms.

Last edited:
It's not that they can't do a film a year. It's just that in terms of keeping it a big thing, spacing them out a bit can't hurt.

A year with no Star Wars movies every now and again isn't going to hurt.

Yeah, I think sometimes just a year break can make all the difference and allow the appetite to grow again.

I've been saying for years that Marvel should just take a year off at some point to let people catch their breath. Probably won't ever happen, but I'd certainly appreciate it if they did.

Well, as someone who's been struggling with my own superhero fatigue for the past few years, to me it's just another reason I really don't need to see the market flooded with Star Wars.

Call me old fashioned, but I miss the days when all of this stuff felt more special. Infinity War, the current biggest superhero film of all time, already feels like an afterthought to me. Like ok, that movie happened. The impact is just lost in this sea of content we're swimming in. Meanwhile, TDK is gonna be 10 years old in a month, and it still stands out and feels as iconic as ever.

Of course, that's just my own personal feeling. Obviously superhero movies are still making bank, and I don't deny that the quality has been there for the most part. I just would hate to get to this point with Star Wars where I don't feel the need to check out every film because it doesn't feel like a special event anymore. It was borderline there with Solo, with my wife needing her arm twisted to agree to go see it. And we both are fans of TFA/RO/TLJ.

I'm glad that there will at least be a year and a half wait until we go back to GFFA. An eternity in today's terms.

Personal feelings are irrelevant when estimating a course of action for a big business, which is what we are doing.

As for those personal feelings there's a pretty easy fix. Don't see everything. Skip what you're not excited for. That way you get the spacing you desire.

It really depends on what their plan is in relation to new trilogy films and spin offs. If they want to stick with the idea of "trilogy" films by Johnson, Benioff and Weiss alternating with spin offs , then the one film a year thing makes the most sense.

If Lucasfilm decides to just focus on trilogy films than spin offs for a while, the idea of every other year or back to the three year gap of the OT and PT would also work.

Mjölnir;36698981 said:
Personal feelings are irrelevant when estimating a course of action for a big business, which is what we are doing.

As for those personal feelings there's a pretty easy fix. Don't see everything. Skip what you're not excited for. That way you get the spacing you desire.

That's exactly what I do now. I have no plans to see the new Ant-Man, for instance. I mean, it's just hard to find the time and (my Moviepass aside) money to actually see everything at this point.

My point is I'd rather not get to that point of exhaustion for Star Wars. And while it's my personal feeling, it's also my personal feeling that a lot of of the GA feels the same. That's my hunch- they don't want to see this franchise milked dry. No data to support it, but I think that possibility deserves consideration in the conversation. And I also think the cumulative effect of the market being saturated with these mega franchises also factors into that.

I also think it's a perfectly reasonable business strategy if Disney were to decide, "You know what...we are going to limit what we release to protect the special allure of the brand."

Heck, this is basically the thinking on why WB is very strict about what they allow for Batman in terms of TV. They don't want to water down the character as an "event" cinematic brand. I think there is something to be said for that which can applied to Star Wars.

Marvel has perfected the "TV as cinema" thing, but in no way does that mean the audience will accept that for every single brand. We're in uncharted waters here.

That's exactly what I do now. I have no plans to see the new Ant-Man, for instance. I mean, it's just hard to find the time and (my Moviepass aside) money to actually see everything at this point.

My point is I'd rather not get to that point of exhaustion for Star Wars. And while it's my personal feeling, it's also my personal feeling that a lot of of the GA feels the same. That's my hunch- they don't want to see this franchise milked dry. No data to support it, but I think that possibility deserves consideration in the conversation. And I also think the cumulative effect of the market being saturated with these mega franchises also factors into that.

I also think it's a perfectly reasonable business strategy if Disney were to decide, "You know what...we are going to limit what we release to protect the special allure of the brand."

Heck, this is basically the thinking on why WB is very strict about what they allow for Batman in terms of TV. They don't want to water down the character as an "event" cinematic brand. I think there is something to be said for that which can applied to Star Wars.

Marvel has perfected the "TV as cinema" thing, but in no way does that mean the audience will accept that for every single brand. We're in uncharted waters here.

One film per year isn't the "TV as cinema" thing though. That's a pretty normal franchise thing that's been done with LotR, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc. Franchises much more limited in scope and variety than Star Wars (in theory, as they are still just mining the same things in practice).

Using Batman as a template doesn't seem that useful since he's been usurped as the biggest superhero in film. The MCU has propelled Iron Man and now Black Panther past him. I'll be kind to Batman and not count Civil War for the many other heroes in it. I'll give Batman a fighting chance though since I still don't think we've seen a fully satisfying film representation of him.

There's just no way there isn't room for one Star Wars film per year. It's all about execution, especially when you can't really get a franchise with much more room for variety than Star Wars.

The fact we even refer to these things as "franchises" and "intellectual property" is basically the whole damn problem, as far as I see it.

We all want more Star Wars movies. But we don't need to be on some schedule expecting one every rotation around the sun, and "no trailer by ____ date, what are they thinking?!" and stuff.

And Harry Potter was never meant to be an indefinite series year-after-year-after-year basically as far as you can see. It was, what, 6-7 movies or something, a finite finish.

That's different to the Marvel model of "we're already sketching out 2025 and beyond!", and when 2025 rolls around they'll be planning for 2033 etc.

Films are products, they've always been. All studios make films in order to profit on them so it's just silly to ignore that. No films are more representative in this ****** than Star Wars for that matter. It was the big revolution in making films to sell toys and other crap, so if you want less commercial exploitation then Star Wars is the last franchise you should follow.

I don't see any point in that Harry Potter was initially eight films either. I've never in my life heard anyone say "there's too many HP films but at least we'll get a breather in six years". And those films were pretty much the exact same thing every year, while Star Wars can theoretically go from a galaxy-wide Jedi-Sith war in one film to a personal drama of a moisture farmer trying to make ends meet in the next.

I've yet to see a good argument that establishes that it's not about execution but rather that the SW brand is too weak.

Oh, no doubt it's a business. No problem there.

Guess I wish they'd just sort of focus on one or two at a time, slow the pace down a bit, not worry too much about the big picture that far in advance. Something like The Fast & The Furious really does feel like a "franchise", a once-a-year regurgitation of something really only intended to make a quick buck and anything more substantive doesn't matter.

Star Wars isn't there for me yet (and don't think it will get to be), but honestly even great as the majority of the Marvel flicks are they're starting to walk that line to my mind. "Cookie cutter" is way too harsh, but just the fact we get two of them a year and there's a very prominent "house style" to all of them, it runs a risk.

Oh, no doubt it's a business. No problem there.

Guess I wish they'd just sort of focus on one or two at a time, slow the pace down a bit, not worry too much about the big picture that far in advance. Something like The Fast & The Furious really does feel like a "franchise", a once-a-year regurgitation of something really only intended to make a quick buck and anything more substantive doesn't matter.

Star Wars isn't there for me yet (and don't think it will get to be), but honestly even great as the majority of the Marvel flicks are they're starting to walk that line to my mind. "Cookie cutter" is way too harsh, but just the fact we get two of them a year and there's a very prominent "house style" to all of them, it runs a risk.

Ok, my answer was, as you can see, regarding whether Star Wars can handle doing more. That's me judging the brand and saying that I don't think that's the problem they are having, it's not me saying that it's what they need to do.

As for F&F, that franchise is actually one that doesn't come out every year. They've come out once every two years for a while, and it was longer between them in the beginning. I've never seen any of them myself though.

We all have our personal preferences. I certainly want the MCU to continue since they are actually giving us unique storytelling. We've never had storytelling done over different films in this way before (even though the monsters was somewhat similar way back). The standard way of doing things, with standalone films or sequels, is still done almost everywhere else so it's the easiest thing in the world to find films like that. I think having films like Thor: Ragnarok, The Winter Soldier, Black Panther, etc show more diversity than most franchises for that matter, both in directorial voice and in content.

I don't think Star Wars ever tried to go the MCU route though, where individual film stories are set to intertwine in team up films or something to that effect. They are just aiming to do films set in the same setting, but this far they are really just making it smaller instead of branching out.

I honestly enjoyed this movie.

It was never needed, but i still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Saw this a second time and enjoyed it a bit more!

Yeah, I think sometimes just a year break can make all the difference and allow the appetite to grow again.

I've been saying for years that Marvel should just take a year off at some point to let people catch their breath. Probably won't ever happen, but I'd certainly appreciate it if they did.
It's bound to happen at some point. I think the last actual year off was 2009 [For Marvel Studios not Marvel movies]

I am not one disappointed in any way with the Disney/Lucasfilm era but even I think that for the company as a whole they should start looking into original content not based on the IPs they already have. I mean, SW, IJ... WILLOW? What else do they have? Diversification would probably not hurt.

Well, Star Wars and Indiana Jones are actually a lot :) but I too would love to see more original projects. It was something I wanted from Lucasfilm for decades, but Lucas rarely put out anything.

I would however, love to see a continuation (not remake, or reboot) of Willow. I only read one of the Shadow War books and don't remember much except that it was too sombre. More movies or a TV show (on Disney's streaming service or Netflix) in the same light hearted and fun the with Warwick Davis, Val Kilmer and Joanne Whalley would be great.

Seen it yesterday and I really loved it - will definitely buying the BluRay

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"