General News/Discussion Thread-Solo: A Star Wars Story. - Part 3

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Thread Manager, Apr 19, 2018.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

No one can honestly tell me that delaying the movie six months couldn't have done anything but help the movie in some way. Instead they spent a ton more money to finish it in time for Memorial Day.

And look at the results. The movie LOOKS bad. And what I mean is that it looks unnaturally dark, badly filtered and murky.

At the very least, you would've given everyone more time to polish it up. The audience also would've had more of a break which helps in a crowded summer season.

But I guess the lesson here is that you can't release two Star Wars movies less than six months apart, it's a bad idea.

But look what what happened with Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty. Yes they are video games, but you can't tell me that Ubisoft and Activision didn't overly milk or dilute those franchises.

2. dark_knight08

dark_knight08 December 20, 2019

Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story, directed by Academy Award–winning filmmaker Ron Howard, will be available to watch instantly on Sept. 14 as the Millennium Falcon sets course digitally in HD and 4K Ultra HD and on Movies Anywhere, and you can bring the adventure home on Blu-ray 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand on Sept. 25.

The new home release is packed with bonus content that takes fans behind the scenes to experience compelling discussions with the star-studded cast and screenwriters Jonathan Kasdan and Lawrence Kasdan, a revealing feature on Chewie and his enduring friendship with Han, and several never-before-seen deleted and extended scenes. The full list includes*:

• Solo: The Director & Cast Roundtable — Sit down with director Ron Howard and the stars for an intimate and entertaining discussion of the film’s making.
    • Team Chewie — See what it takes to bring your favorite Wookiee to life in this lighthearted look behind the scenes.
    • Kasdan on Kasdan — Iconic Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and son Jonathan share what it was like to write the movie’s script together.
    • Remaking the Millennium Falcon –Track the transformation of the most famous ship in the galaxy, from Lando’s swank and impeccable pride and joy to Han’s stripped-down hot-rod freighter with “special modifications.”
    • Escape from Corellia — Get behind the wheel for the making of this high-octane chase through the streets of Corellia.
    • The Train Heist — Explore the challenges and thrills of creating this action-packed sequence, including its remote location and spectacular effects.
    • Becoming a Droid: L3-37 — Meet the newest droid—and the talented actor who helps bring her to life.
    • Scoundrels, Droids, Creatures and Cards: Welcome to Fort Ypso –Take an in-depth tour of the rough-and-tumble bar where strangers mix and gamblers risk all in the legendary card game, Sabaac.
    • Into the Maelstrom: The Kessel Run –Join Han and Chewie at the controls of the Millennium Falcon to see how this legendary moment in Star Wars history unfolds.
    • The Millennium Falcon: From Page to Park — In an exclusive bonus feature available as a digital code with the Target release, you can get a look at the history of the most famous ship in the galaxy, its origin and development, and how it will translate in one of the most anticipated expansions in Disneyland’s history.
    • And Deleted Scenes:
      • Proxima’s Den
      • Corellian Foot Chase
      • Han Solo: Imperial Cadet
      • The Battle of Mimban: Extended
      • Han Versus Chewie: Extended
      • Snowball Fight!
      • Meet Dryden: Extended
      • Coaxium Double-Cross
    source: www.starwars.com

#877 dark_knight08, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  3. Last Skywalker

Last Skywalker Registered

Honestly... I think they were simply trying to keep 9 as far away from the blast radius as possible and give as much gap until the next movie as they could. 18 months rather than the usual 12 to hopefully give the wreckage of the past 6 months time to cool off.

4. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I genuinely think had the same movie been released st Xmas instead it would haven made more money. You need more than 5/6 months between each movie IMO.

TheVileOne likes this.
  5. Speed Force

Speed Force Goober

Gonna pick this one up on 4K for sure.

6. MistaBinks

MistaBinks Registered

I watched Solo in a second run theater last week. Oddly enough, it was cleanest print I have seen to date. I had previously seen Solo in XD, IMAX, 3D, and digital. All to varying levels of darkness and hard to see characters. Yet, the second run theater had the most clean and crisp viewing. Odd.

7. titansupes

titansupes Registered

I Am The Knight likes this.
  8. darthcoolness3

darthcoolness3 Registered

9. StarLord

StarLord ...

Sam does his voice but Ray Park is the physical actor on set and in make-up.

Brutikus likes this.
  10. Brutikus

Brutikus Pax per Tyrannidem

11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

I agree. Even if it was the same, I think a bit more distance would've helped. For starters, the only actually started marketing this thing in February.

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  12. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

Co-Writer Jon Kasdan Reveals 53 Facts about Solo: A Star Wars Story

Did anyone see this? It's pretty fascinating stuff. I love the influences of this movie were more of the likes of Dickens and Mann and other classic sources. It shows what went on in the major fundamentals of the story that they were doing some new and interesting things in its own way and not just recycling from its own franchise for reasons such as nostalgia. Despite stuff like Kasdan pushing for stuff like Bossk, I'm glad it was cut. It seems a lot of the more fan service-y things got cut which left room for the meat of the story which had its own integrity anyway.

As much as I would love to see Han and Qi-Ra's continued story, I'm sort of glad this is the only one. I feel the next one would have been more what I feared this movie would be.

13. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

The Hollywood Reporter - Bob Iger Talks on Disney's Streaming Service, 'Roseanne,' James Gunn and a Coming ‘Star Wars' “Slowdown”

14. titansupes

titansupes Registered

I mean, I think even in the midst of all the excitement back in 2012, many of us hardcore fans-- including me-- were saying one a year felt like too much too soon. Attempting to shift back to May for the sake of ceremony alone, when December fits like a glove and had been wildly successful, was also an odd choice.

Glad they're slowing things down a bit.

15. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

He didn't even mention the Rian Johnson project. No way in hell does that happen, this is just further credence to that.

16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Nothing past Episode IX has been greenlit yet by Disney.

Having a development agreement is not a guarantee you'll get greenlit by a studio. It's not mandatory.

17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Rian Johnson, Writer-Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy | StarWars.com
    The way Lucasfilm phrases it, that's a lot firmer than a "development deal."

At least Iger is willing to own up to making a mistake.

Disney probably thought because it was Star Wars, and they had so much success releasing multiple Marvel films in a year, it wouldn't be a problem. And they spread so much money onto Solo that they would be able to get it done in time and thought there'd be no issues.

Personally, I think a year to year and a half gap is fine. Solo was basically five months. And they didn't even really start marketing it until like 2 months out.

18. Brother Jack

Brother Jack The Penitent Man

Yeah. I was bummed initially with them halting production on everything after Solo, it felt like a gross overreaction, but in hindsight one movie a year was too much. It was always an uneasy proposition, churning them out factory-like. I think it's become evident that Star Wars doesn't or shouldn't work like Marvel. There needs to be the separation of time for these films to maintain their cultural impact. That's what people are accustomed to with SW.

19. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

One a year makes sense. Trying to test if you could do two in a year and basically sacrificing Solo was a big mistake imo. Don't even try May/December. If Solo had the now usual December date, it would have done a lot better imo. TLJ situation was a quality and crowd reaction problem, and even then still made plenty of money. The opening showed a desire. It faded because people weren't happy about it. They made Christmas Star Wars time, and then just randomly walked away from it for no reason. They should go back to it.

20. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

There is no evidence one a year is an issue, nor does it really make sense for them to stop making one a year. If they switch to a one every two years format, they really shouldn't have left the saga format.

That being said, we will need to see something filming by next summer for a 2020 release date. They probably thought that would be Solo 2. That is probably not happening now sadly. They might now end up building 2020 around the release of the live action show, which could be a rather big deal.

#895 DarthSkywalker, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  21. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

It was strange to me that they just powered through Solo and didn't even consider a delay at all. They had to reshoot an entire movie in less than a year and finish it in post in time for a May release date. A delay in that situation would've been the proper thing to do. I hope if anything like that happens again they will think twice this time.

22. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones It's All One Story

If Iger thinks that was the problem then they really haven't learned. Maybe it's because of Disney's narrow view of these movies? If not now, it won't sustain itself.

Thankfully I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Will 'Star Wars' "Slowdown" Reinvigorate the Franchise?

23. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Registered

The reason 1 a year is too much is because kennedy is terrible at picking directors. How many has she sacked? 3?

24. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Registered

Watched Solo, went in with low expectations, but enjoyed it. Long way from being great but a good waste of 2 hours.

Sad that i go in with low expectations to watch a star wars film though.

25. Frodo

Frodo Registered

I suspect they'll go back to the every two or three years formula post 9 as far as the films are concerned. Iger's statement indicates to me that they're no longer trying to mirror the Marvel model with at least one film a year and are instead gonna take a case by case approach. I think they realize that the SW franchise is a different animal than Marvel, and they don't have to push out a product every year in order to please the masses.

Now as far as quality of the films go from now on who knows. That's gonna depend on who will be the head of creative at Lucasfilm post Episode 9. Other than that, I see his statements as a positive in that he's not so dogmatic that he's unwilling to course correct when need be.