General PC Discussion

If you'll be doing photo editing, then yes go with an IPS monitor. IPS panels offer better/more accurate colours, better blacks and thus look less "washed out" compared to TN panels. Though, the latter definitely offer better response time (2ms).

Usually, you would go for a 1ms/2ms monitor with a TN panel when playing competitively (CS:GO, LoL...) since they also have higher refresh rates (144Hz). And then you have VA panels which come in the middle.

Honestly you won't notice the response time difference especially when using a monitor with high refresh rate. So for casual gaming and photo/video stuff, you'll be more than fine with that monitor.
hey, many thanks!

I'm pulling the trigger tomorrow!

All ordered and on its way!! I'm super-excited.

Thanks @geetard for all the help. You didn't just answer my questions, you went totally out of your way to help. Much appreciated mate! :up:

It's all set up! I'll get some pics up soon. It looks beautiful. I've started downloading a bunch of games and will probably be able to give it a proper go on the weekend.

I got my dream monitor a few weeks ago, and thought I would share with my fellow Hypesters...
Tagged coz it's a fairly big image. :D
2020-02-14 17.53.27-resize.jpg
It's a Samsung QLED gaming monitor 49" CRG9...

Wasn't there for 5 minutes and...
2020-02-14 13.54.02-resize.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that looks amazing!

My cats have been all over my new pc too so I keep it covered when I’m not there and subtly remove them from the top of it when they jump on. :D:

I’ve given up trying to stop Spock from inspecting the monitor...:D
CF63B3BF-9F79-41CE-B0AF-1688E5566F34.jpeg

Do many of you pc players play everything with mouse and keyboard? I'm so used to a controller for open world exploration and combat that on certain types of games it would take a lot of getting used to, or I might just use a controller for those ones. Great to have keyboard and mouse for RTS of course.

Also separately, what would be the best modern games to put a machine through its paces and see what it's really capable of?

Only for first person games, as it's more precise to me. I use an old ass Logitech f310 for everything else.

Do many of you pc players play everything with mouse and keyboard? I'm so used to a controller for open world exploration and combat that on certain types of games it would take a lot of getting used to, or I might just use a controller for those ones. Great to have keyboard and mouse for RTS of course.

Also separately, what would be the best modern games to put a machine through its paces and see what it's really capable of?
Pretty much K+M for me. I take out my XB1 or PS4 controller for some platformers, like the recent GRIS, and fighting games.

If you want to stress test your PC with games, check out Crysis 3 (you've probably heard of 'Can it run Crysis?' gag...), GTA5, Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider... There are also benchmarking tools like PCMark/Firestrike.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

Only for first person games, as it's more precise to me. I use an old ass Logitech f310 for everything else.
I think I still have mine at my parents'.

Pretty much K+M for me. I take out my XB1 or PS4 controller for some platformers, like the recent GRIS, and fighting games.

If you want to stress test your PC with games, check out Crysis 3 (you've probably heard of 'Can it run Crysis?' gag...), GTA5, Rise/Shadow of the Tomb Raider... There are also benchmarking tools like PCMark/Firestrike.

https://benchmarks.ul.com/3dmark

I think I still have mine at my parents'.
Good to know.

Yes I had heard that about Crysis haha. I had assumed it was now too old though. Thanks for all those recommendations. Will try with Tomb Raider.

Wow, EA may have possibly made a better remaster of a classic RTS than Blizzard...

Wow, EA may have possibly made a better remaster of a classic RTS than Blizzard...

This looks like an absolutely amazing remake of so many good games. All that nostalgia encased in a product with so many genuine improvements.

Anyone playing City of Heroes? :word:
I noticed there is no thread for it here

Well, it seems like they are just putting a fresh coat of paint on CNC and letting those classic, timeless games speak for themselves, which is the right call. Blizzard made a mistake tinkering with good things with both StarCraft and Warcraft 3. Especially with the former, it felt like a George Lucas special edition where they undermined the wonderful style and aesthetic to try and bring it into line with vastly inferior sequels.

I've been trying to put my cat pc pics up for days but the photos are too big for the site. :csad:

I've been trying to put my cat pc pics up for days but the photos are too big for the site. :csad:
Host them on Imgur or use any Photoshop alternatives like Gimp to save your photos at reasonable sizes.

Tomb Raider 2013 free on Steam (until March 24).

@Iceman Time to start that PC library of yours. ;)

IMG_3377__1585272212_11399.jpg

1st pc cat pic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"