Rogue One General Rogue One News/Speculation/SPOILER Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well right now trailers are all we have to go off of, so it is only fair you give your opinion on what they have given us. :up:

And yeah as my new avatar shows, I am quite in love with that Vader shot. :woot:

:up:

It's a hell of a shot, do you know if Vader's in the film much?

They only had the plans. They were not involved with the building of the Death Star, that was the Empire. Also if you read the Vader comic, Geonosis is a bit of a crypt.

"The Honorable Ones" episode of Rebels did seem to hint that at least some construction of the Death Star was carried out around Geonosis, before the Empire turned it into a crypt to keep things quiet.

So Jyn's father was one of the contractors that Dante and Randal talked about?

:up:

It's a hell of a shot, do you know if Vader's in the film much?
We do not know how long Vader is in the film, but we do know his role is minimal but impactful. I just want to see Vader wreck some Rebels and make the director regret his talk. If he doesn't use his lightsaber, I will be very disappointed.

"The Honorable Ones" episode of Rebels did seem to hint that at least some construction of the Death Star was carried out around Geonosis, before the Empire turned it into a crypt to keep things quiet.
How would the move the construction of something that big? They are being forced to construct it in space because of its size, how would they move that across the galaxy?

The Hollywood Reporter - 'Rogue One': How the New Trailer Looks Like It's for a Different Movie Than Before (editorial)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-why-new-trailer-938145

#bringbacksassyjyn
#nomoremotivationalspeaches
Yeah, I am calling BS on this one. We are talking about two different parts of the film here. Jyn is going to be a loner to start who turns into a leader, a true believer as the film goes on. "What will you become?". That has been clear for a long time. While the overall tone of the trailer is different from the first trailer, so was the second, which was more "even". Half desperation, half hope. This is more hope.

The Hollywood Reporter - 'Rogue One': How the New Trailer Looks Like It's for a Different Movie Than Before (editorial)

#bringbacksassyjyn
#nomoremotivationalspeaches

This line "Rebellions are built on hope." obviously comes from late in the film after she is on board with the mission. Smartass Jyn "This is a rebellion. I rebel." is at the beginning of the film when she isnt on board with the rebellion. Even before this trailer it would have been stupid to assume that she wouldnt have a change of heart. Nothing has changed from the previous trailers and I doubt Disney made the character different with reshoots.

How would the move the construction of something that big? They are being forced to construct it in space because of its size, how would they move that across the galaxy?

It did have hyperdrives according to the supplementary material, so I would guess it was moved to its Rogue One location for final construction and testing.

It did have hyperdrives according to the supplementary material, so I would guess it was moved to its Rogue One location for final construction and testing.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/scarif

The planet Scarif would be a beautiful tropical paradise if not for the presence of a major Imperial military installation. Scarif is the principal construction facility for the vast Imperial war machine. The world is enveloped in impenetrable deflector shields and is heavily defended.

There is also other info saying that they ripped up Scarif for materials, both for the Death Star itself and the vehicles needed for construction.

#bringbacksassyjyn
#nomoremotivationalspeeches
This is the biggest crock of **** article ever. They don't know what character development is? And where is their proof that the father stuff was added on after reshoots?The author is implying something that they have no proof of.

The Hollywood Reporter has really gone down hill.

This is the biggest crock of **** article ever. They don't know what character development is? And where is their proof that the father stuff was added on after reshoots?The author is implying something that they have no proof of.

The Hollywood Reporter has really gone down hill.
tumblr_ny4sss9Zue1urw2imo1_500.gif

In the trailer at about 1:24 there is a shot of the big group looking at the hologram of the Deathstar. There is someone on the far right of the table that looks an awful lot like General Jan Dodonna from 'A New Hope'.

And it's not like the Empire is kidnapping her dad, so he can help construct the Death Star.. I mean, the building part can be done by any number of people presumably. Push this button here, move that crane there. It makes more sense that he is somehow a brilliant minded engineer/scientist who either remade the plans from Geonosis, or somehow improved on their design.
Either way, I hope they make that clear instead of saying that the Dad is the original mastermind, without mentioning Geonosis at all... as that would be against continuity.
I don't know any spoilers for this movie whatsoever, so please forgive me if I'm not getting facts straight.

Oh man. Looks like this guy gets blasted right in the head!

tumblr_oezn4wq9x11sdiuwlo9_r2_400.gif

That was sick! The Empire doesn't take prisoners...unless said person is useful for info Imperials can get their hands on.

Rebel scum...I hope we'll hear that line in the film somewhere lol

And it's not like the Empire is kidnapping her dad, so he can help construct the Death Star.. I mean, the building part can be done by any number of people presumably. Push this button here, move that crane there. It makes more sense that he is somehow a brilliant minded engineer/scientist who either remade the plans from Geonosis, or somehow improved on their design.
Either way, I hope they make that clear instead of saying that the Dad is the original mastermind, without mentioning Geonosis at all... as that would be against continuity.
I don't know any spoilers for this movie whatsoever, so please forgive me if I'm not getting facts straight.
They are constructing the Death Star, which we now know was probably based on old Sith super weapons. The apparent use of Kyber crystals, Rebels revealing an ancient Sith super weapon capable of destroying a planet. So the Death Star is most likely a Sheev creation. One that he used Dooku to get from planning to practical.

The Geonosians were used to plan it. We know they never built it. At the end of RotS we see the Empire building it.

That was sick! The Empire doesn't take prisoners...unless said person is useful for info Imperials can get their hands on.

Rebel scum...I hope we'll hear that line in the film somewhere lol
All I know is those aren't Stormtroopers behind the wheel. Those shots are far too accurate. :o

They are constructing the Death Star, which we now know was probably based on old Sith super weapons. The apparent use of Kyber crystals, Rebels revealing an ancient Sith super weapon capable of destroying a planet.

None of that was in the movies, but sure, I'll go along with that. It's just that I'm presuming the dad had some part in the technical aspects of how it works. Since we saw what appeared to be completed Death Star plans in Episode II, I'm hoping they explain how he fits into the overall creation. If they want to explain all that you just did, then great. If they don't, then it'll be seen as a lapse of continuity to a LARGE portion of the general audience. From the movies thus far, we were basically told that the Genocians designed the Death Star, and handed off the plans before it was getting built in Episode III. If this guy in fact had a part in it, then that begs the question, "where did the Geonocians end and where did he begin?" Are these add-on plans to the original? They should explain that; otherwise, it'll be seen as a continuity error, regardless of what the comics/cartoons have to say about it.

So the Death Star is most likely a Sheev creation. One that he used Dooku to get from planning to practical.
No doubt, who ordered the research, development, and construction isn't in question.

The Geonosians were used to plan it. We know they never built it. At the end of RotS we see the Empire building it.
Which, again, begs the question... did the Genotians finish the plans? If so, what's the dad's role? They already started making it by ROTS, so why do they need him? Are they really kidnapping him because he's an expert builder? It seems like any individual who understands how to read schematics could do that, so what makes him so special? Did he design the super weapon? Did he finish the original plans, and thus knows them best? Are they having problems and he's been tasked to fix them? What's the dealio?

Its also possible that the original Geonosis-made Death Star project took much further adaptation and development to make it practical. Imagine that the original schematics had the primary superlaser apparatus as a simple upsized turbolaser design. . . which once they actually started building the thing, proved utterly unworkable. It then took years of further effort to redesign the main weapon into something that wouldn't either blow up on firing or produce a fizzle of a blast that wasn't nearly worth the moon-sized chasis.

None of that was in the movies, but sure, I'll go along with that. It's just that I'm presuming the dad had some part in the technical aspects of how it works. Since we saw what appeared to be completed Death Star plans in Episode II, I'm hoping they explain how he fits into the overall creation. If they want to explain all that you just did, then great. If they don't, then it'll be seen as a lapse of continuity to a LARGE portion of the general audience. From the movies thus far, we were basically told that the Genocians designed the Death Star, and handed off the plans before it was getting built in Episode III. If this guy in fact had a part in it, then that begs the question, "where did the Geonocians end and where did he begin?" Are these add-on plans to the original? They should explain that; otherwise, it'll be seen as a continuity error, regardless of what the comics/cartoons have to say about it.
I am going to say less then .00001% of the audience cares about Geonosis and that planets involvement with the Death Star. Once Rogue One hits, the origin of the Death Star and the stealing of the plans will be revealed. They never have before in canon so no reason question it now.

Also everything is canon now. There is no "regardless" of what a book, comic or cartoon says. It all matters. Also the Kyber crystals were seen on set and seem to be integrated into the film.

No doubt, who ordered the research, development, and construction isn't in question.
So why do you care about Geonosis so much? They are a little piece, that has little to nothing to do with the construction of the Death Star.

Which, again, begs the question... did the Genotians finish the plans? If so, what's the dad's role? They already started making it by ROTS, so why do they need him? Are they really kidnapping him because he's an expert builder? It seems like any individual who understands how to read schematics could do that, so what makes him so special? Did he design the super weapon? Did he finish the original plans, and thus knows them best? Are they having problems and he's been tasked to fix them? What's the dealio?
I doubt they finished it. But that isn't even the point. Planning something is completely different then creating it. They have to build things just to build the Death Star. Perhaps he has to figure out how the canon works, the material to build it out of, maybe he is the only engineering mind in the galaxy that can figure out how to get it to work, who knows.

I am sure they can come up with something convincing without mentioning Geonosis. :funny:

Last edited:
He knew what he was getting into...

I kinda wonder if Abrams was referencing Clerks when Finn said he worked in sanitation at Starkiller base.
"You think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing in white uniforms."

I kinda wonder if Abrams was referencing Clerks when Finn said he worked in sanitation at Starkiller base.
"You think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing in white uniforms."

I vaguely remember Smith himself saying he thought that was possible.

I have seen the trailer like 50 times now, and I laugh every time Forrest says his, "Save the dream" line at the end. Its so cringe. :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"