The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

As soon as the Emperor knew about Vader he was doing the same thing. My point is Ben was not abused or manipulated he knew full well what he was getting into Vader on the other hand was abused and manipulated.

Again, Snoke was in his ear since birth. He didn't even know Vader was his grandfather until he was 23. He didn't know what he was getting into, he just knew that a voice was telling him crappy things and sometimes those crappy things were true and so when the Jedi Temple burned and his own friends tried to kill him, he ran to the only person who he thought was his friend.

Seriously. It's all in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic.

Last edited:
I’m in a somewhat similar area - I can’t watch TROS again right now, because to me it’s the worst of TFA and TLJ together and makes the entire ST a fundamentally flawed exercise, and I can’t rewatch TLJ because it’s the film that, for *me*, screwed up the ST by demoting Finn from male lead, trying to promote an abusive relationship with Rey, and failing to incorporate sufficient evolution of the military plot or to intertwine Luke and the Skywalkers in a good way with Rey as their heir (aka, all the things that are shared with TROS).

...But eventually, I’m going to rewatch them. Someday. When I’m less likely to feel nauseous at any post-TFA scene between Rey and Kylo or to be pissed that Ben is considered better than Finn.

It’s going to take a while, and I can’t guarantee I’ll ever enjoy them... but eventually, I’ll rewatch them.

This, until then I will watch the Mandalorian.

You're right, but it's canon. Blame the movies for not fleshing that out better.

And that makes it...okay? I don't actually see what your point is. And Ben had Snoke whispering in his ear since birth. Vader didn't. He was groomed from the beginning and evidently had ****ty parents as well.

As soon as the Emperor knew about Vader he was doing the same thing. My point is Ben was not abused or manipulated he knew full well what he was getting into Vader on the other hand was abused and manipulated.

Again, Snoke was in his ear since birth. He didn't even know Vader was his grandfather until he was 23. He didn't know what he was getting into, he just knew that a voice was telling him crappy things and sometimes those crappy things were true and so when the Jedi Temple burned and his own friends tried to kill him, he ran to the only person who he thought was his friend.

Seriously. It's all in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic.
Actually, I have to ask: does the comic *explicitly* make it clear that Snoke/Palpatine has been in his head since he was a tiny kid, or does it still just start with teenage/preteen Ben just listening to and talking to the voice?

Because that’s the kind of detail we need to know, along with what Ben’s reaction to it was and how much his parents and Luke knew about it.

I actually kind of think, from what I *do* know about the comic, that they may have set it at the wrong point of his slide to the dark side, where on the one hand they’re desperately trying to white wash *one* of his mass murders, but they’re still keeping his turmoil and reasons for turning mostly self-centered and trying to make it seem rational... which to me is exactly the wrong way to approach it.

Ben can’t seem like he’s at all rational or even seem to be seduced Vader-style to the dark side if he doesn’t have a clear external motivator like Anakin/Vader had. The more it sounds like he was just slowly convinced that his destiny was to the darkside, the less sympathetic and more responsible for his fall he is - which is opposite to the purpose of having Snoke/Palpatine talking to him in his head.

We honestly need to see young Ben being disturbed and frightened of the voice speaking to him calling out for help, and then see why he can’t get it, in order for him to be sympathetic. And you could easily use Palpatine’s cunning to have his attacks evade detection by Ben’s family, making certain it’s all on Palpatine for what happens and make sure you’re not asking the audience to blame any of the OT3 for a character you’ve accidentally made a bit narcissistic.

The books make it clear. You hate his character we know, so yeah.

The books make it clear. You hate his character we know, so yeah.
No, no, I’m being seriously curious here, not just looking for an excuse to criticize the character.

I know about the Aftermath and Last Shot lines that people construed as possibly being signs of Snoke and Palpatine going after him, but I’ve also heard a bunch of people say that his behavior there is easily explained as just being a baby or a toddler scared by a bad droid.

Has there been more explicit explanation for when and how Snoke’s manipulations started?

We know about our differences; I’m trying to see if the parameters for our disagreements have been more clearly defined or if it’s still ambiguous and vague.

I'm trying to point out the difference between a fictional character, and the behaviour of an actor in real life.
Has the actor done things to hurt people? Or made as far as I know not appropriate comments?

I think the character is there by the writing in the movies.

Which the books and comics explain more in detail. Then the movie makes more sense.

Either way, they're canon so...

No, no, I’m being seriously curious here, not just looking for an excuse to criticize the character.

I know about the Aftermath and Last Shot lines that people construed as possibly being signs of Snoke and Palpatine going after him, but I’ve also heard a bunch of people say that his behavior there is easily explained as just being a baby or a toddler scared by a bad droid.

Has there been more explicit explanation for when and how Snoke’s manipulations started?

We know about our differences; I’m trying to see if the parameters for our disagreements have been more clearly defined or if it’s still ambiguous and vague.

Leia sensed darkness in him while he was still in the womb and he overheard conversations his parents had about him about his powers. When Leia sent him away to Luke, he perceived that as her abandoning him.

While he was training with Luke, that's when he had conversations with Snoke and was groomed from the age of 10.

He didn't burn the Jedi Temple. Snoke did. And then his friends tried to kill him so he ran to Snoke.

From TFA novel:

He met her eyes steadily. “We’ve lost our son, forever.” Leia bit her lower lip, refusing to concede. “No. It was Snoke.” Han drew back slightly. “Snoke?” She nodded. “He knew our child would be strong with the Force. That he was born with equal potential for good or evil.” “You knew this from the beginning? Why didn’t you tell me?” She sighed. “Many reasons. I was hoping that I was wrong, that it wasn’t true. I hoped I could sway him, turn him away from the dark side, without having to involve you.” [...] He had trouble believing what he was hearing. “So Snoke was watching our son.” “Always,” she told him. “From the shadows, in the beginning, even before I realized what was happening, he was manipulating everything, pulling our son toward the dark side.

TLJ:

"Ben in adolescence, his face grown lean above a strong jaw. A boy who always seemed alone, a churning storm in the Force. And whose anger had begun to manifest in malfunctions and breakdowns and objects that fell off shelves and shattered with no one near. Ben, her son. Who’d been stolen from her and Han, stolen by Snoke’s wiles and Luke’s mistakes and his own furies.

And so Snoke had drawn upon his vast store of knowledge, parceling it out to confuse Skywalker’s path, ensnare his family, and harness Ben Solo’s powers to ensure both Skywalker’s destruction and Snoke’s triumph.

He had seen his apprentice’s enormous potential when he was still a child—the latent power of the Skywalker bloodline was impossible to miss. And he had also seen how to exploit the boy’s feelings of inadequacy and abandonment, and his mother’s guilt and desperation to contain the darkness within her child. [...] And indeed, Ben Solo had performed the role Snoke had envisioned for him perfectly."

I believe there was also a reference in Aftermath about Ben being turned from in the womb. I can't find it though.

Last edited:
Which the books and comics explain more in detail. Then the movie makes more sense.

Either way, they're canon so...
If it's not developed in the movies, why should I care? If these things aren;t developed on screen, I don't see why they matter, if the movie itself isn't developing the character with these things.

The novelization I don't even see as canon representations of the story in these.

Okay, but they are. Your personal opinions on that don't change the fact that they are established canon.

Maybe Disney is now backtracking on everything because Ben Solo is the most popular character and they wanted to portray him in a better light. That just means they did a **** job of writing the scripts for the movies. They established in TFA novel that Ben was manipulated by Snoke from a young age and TLJ explored a softer approach to Kylo only for TROS to **** it all up again. Clearly they couldn't decide what they wanted him to be. But that still doesn't change his now canon backstory.

“Always,” she told him. “From the shadows, in the beginning, even before I realized what was happening, he was manipulating everything, pulling our son toward the dark side.

Ah, so that's where that line they repurposed for TROS came from.

Has the actor done things to hurt people? Or made as far as I know not appropriate comments?
Again, a fictional character and therefore has hurt no one.
Regarding Boyega's comments words can hurt more than physical actions, because those wounds never heal.

Again, a fictional character and therefore has hurt no one.
Regarding Boyega's comments words can hurt more than physical actions, because those wounds never heal.
I don't see much of a difference in what Kylo says and does which is written and directed and acted by real people, versus a real person saying something innappropriate, if so. Isn't a real person doing something either way? But what's he saying that would hurt people to that extent?

Adam Driver isn't Kylo Ren. John Boyega's comments were as John Boyega, not Finn.
He made some rather derisive comments about Kelly Tran after she was bullied off social media, accusing her of being weak, made a revolting comment about Daisy Ridley, and for the most part acted like a total idiot.

There are those that can do one thing and then do another.
Adam Driver isn't Kylo Ren. John Boyega's comments were as John Boyega, not Finn.
He made some rather derisive comments about Kelly Tran after she was bullied off social media, accusing her of being weak, made a revolting comment about Daisy Ridley, and for the most part acted like a total idiot.
What are the comments? I know he made a comment about Finn laying pipe with Rey, but what did he say about Daisy? I know he made a comment not naming anyone specific and then said afterwards that he wasn't referring to Kelly.

Kylo Ren as a character is supported by real people. And written and directed by them.

John Boyega seemingly got along famously with his fellow cast members, especially Oscar and Daisy. So keep that in mind. Just because he doesn't talk how you would, does not mean any offence was made or taken. Considering the language I have heard them all use, I seriously doubt it.

There are those that can do one thing and then do another.
What are the comments? I know he made a comment about Finn laying pipe with Rey, but what did he say about Daisy? I know he made a comment not naming anyone specific and then said afterwards that he wasn't referring to Kelly.

Kylo Ren as a character is supported by real people. And written and directed by them.
Fine. But I'm seriously concerned that people are confusing a fictional character with the actor who plays him.

I've seen a lot of hate on social media, but not by reylos. Yes, there's toxicity in any fandom - i haven't forgotten the death threats Joe Quesada received post One More Day - but I've seen far more hatred directed at the Reylo fandom than by them.

As long as the Kylo Ren haters don't vent their hatred on Adam Driver, let them have. I myself love the character and always will. And as someone who was twice indecently assaulted as a child, I DO NOT see the character as an abuser.

Fine. But I'm seriously concerned that people are confusing a fictional character with the actor who plays him.

I've seen a lot of hate on social media, but not by reylos. Yes, there's toxicity in any fandom - i haven't forgotten the death threats Joe Quesada received post One More Day - but I've seen far more hatred directed at the Reylo fandom than by them.

As long as the Kylo Ren haters don't vent their hatred on Adam Driver, let them have. I myself love the character and always will. And as someone who was twice indecently assaulted as a child, I DO NOT see the character as an abuser.
First let me say, that I am sorry that happened to you, and I hope you received the help and care you needed and deserved.

Now to more trivial matters, Reylo. I don't want to say the very basis for Reylo is toxic (notice it is Reylo and not Bey or Ren), but there is a high level of, "we have been wronged" that creates toxicity around that particular fandom. Especially when much of it seems based around complaining about a not quite real boogeyman that haunts them on the internet attempting to destroy their beloved ship. In this way, it builds its own internal toxicity to fuel the fandom.

By the way I love Kylo as a character. Same for my Rey Rey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"