The Rise of Skywalker General Star Wars Episode IX News/Speculation Thread - Part 1

Then she has to be the daughter of a Sith

The most logical origin for Rey is for her to be a genetically modified clone of Luke, akin to X-23 and Logan, created by Snoke and whoever the new threat from the unknown regons is (it should be connected to Snoke somehow). This would explain everything perfectly.

1. "That lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him, and now, it calls to you." This quote makes no sense unless Rey is the offspring of Luke Skywalker. And being a clone technically counts.

2. "What girl?!" Kylo seems to know something about a specific girl. If Snoke had been involved in creating a female clone of Luke Skywalker, Kylo could very well know about it.

3. Rey's innate ability to use the Force is superior to that of the Chosen One himself, who was literally conceived by the Force. Which makes very little sense if she's just some random person...but makes perfect sense if she is a genetically modified clone of the Chosen One's offspring. She is the Mewtwo to Anakin and Luke's Mew, essentially.

4. When Rey goes to the cave to seek answers about her parents, she finds a long line of duplicates of herself, ending in a mysterious shadowy figure that morphs into Rey. Rey could be the final clone in a long line of failures, the one that was finally a success at replicating Anakin and Luke's potential.

5. Assuming Maz was involved somehow, it would explain how she got the lightsaber, since the lightsaber would have been located along with Luke's hand (which would be where they got Luke's DNA from).

6. It explains why Rey has such a strong attachment to Kylo despite him being a homicidal maniac that Rey seemingly has no personal connection with. This would make her Kylo's cousin, technically, establishing a familial bond that gives her a reason to feel so strongly about Kylo.

7. Most importantly, it would explain why Rey is the protagonist of the final chapter of the Skywalker saga. There's no reason for this trilogy to be part of the Skywalker saga if it isn't primarily about a Skywalker. (Seriously, I get that people love the idea of a random nobody being the hero, but there are tons of Star Wars stories about a random nobody being a hero, and they could easily do it again with future trilogies that aren't part of the Skywalker saga)

So that's the horse I'm gonna be betting on.

Last edited:
That would be such as clusterf*** of an explanation for them to shoehorn into the final installment. I cannot believe that Abrams would go for that at this point :funny:

Clones have been a part of Star Wars lore since day one. Doesn't require a cluster**** explanation to say Rey is a clone.

Because things surrounding the franchise have become a bit blurry, it's hard to make a judgement call on how they'll close it out. Is IX to be the end of the saga films? At some point if you start going up to to like Episode 18... things almost become a caricature of themselves (Jaws 19 from Back to the Future anyone?) and kinda silly.

From that perspective alone, I'd be happy with 9 being the end of the Skywalker Saga and this iteration of the Chosen One prophecy (and I say that because who's to say what other prophecies had been made).

They just need to be sure to explain the concept of "Balance" better. Ie, how 10K Jedi and two Sith in hiding is balance. And if it wasn't, and if that's why the Sith rose to power (ie via Jedi's arrogance and hubris)... then was the millennia prior to TPM considered to be "in balance"? Cause that's a long period, and clearly the denizens of the galaxy believed that peace to be a good thing (re: Sio Bibble's comments about there not being a full scale war since the beginning of the republic).

I'm fine with Rey not being explicitly related to anyone. I do think it'd be interesting if she were implicitly related to the Skywalker line in that she, like Anakin, could also be a product of the Force itself (though I guess there's still conjecture about Anakin in that regard too -- which hopefully will be cleared up). What I think sucks though is that, as a storytelling mechanism they haven't brought new prophecies/legends into the storyline to convey. By that, I mean they could have had Luke discover some other prophecy, or as I mention below more info about the Chosen One prophecy. Perhaps not bringing that in is move by Lucasfilm to avoid the complaints there were about the prequels having them (though yeah.. abiding by fan's desires is another ****show of a topic itself). But by not having it brought up, or even teased, in either VII or VIII, it weakens the overall narrative -- if indeed she is a product of the Force.

I know I'd been kinda assuming prior to TLJ coming out, that post ROTJ, Luke was going to kinda help unravel the true meaning of the prophecy, if it tied into other prophecies, etc, and perhaps would even have learned from it that he personally doesn't have to be the one to take action all the time (hence the not returning from Ach To and instead just learning/waiting)... that the force itself is able to will that to happen -- in this theory, that action of the Force being via Rey.

Regardless, I think Disney/Lucasfilm would be better served to close the door on this chapter and jump someplace else in the timeline for their cinematic efforts.

Last edited:
Balance has always been the extermination of the dark side. The Light Side is the Force in it's natural state, while the Dark Side is like a kind of cancer.

Balance has always been the extermination of the dark side. The Light Side is the Force in it's natural state, while the Dark Side is like a kind of cancer.
Read something today online from a now Legends book that mentioned that. The final few episodes of TCW with Yoda's journey to Moraband I believe indicated there's also an internal balance at play.

Even in TLJ Luke indicates Balance is powerful light, powerful darkness....

When I initially walked out of TFA, I was convinced Rey would turn out to be Luke's daughter. After my second viewing of it two weeks later, and the one or two times I've seen it since then, I don't think they were going that way at all. I'd have to watch it again to refresh m memory, since it's been a few years now, but aside from some relatively superficial hints ("That lightsaber once belonged to Luke and his father before him"), Rey Random was the only thing that made sense to me. The idea that neither Han nor Leia mention or hint at Luke having a missing daughter even in their private talks about Ben doesn't make sense. The fact that the filmmakers surely wouldn't have missed out on having the fight between Rey and Kylo or the meeting between her and Luke be even more powerful than they were by revealing the info beforehand etc.

And now especially post-TLJ, it makes even less sense. If her parents turn out to be somebodies instead of nobodies (Sith royalty has been suggested), fine. But I'm sure she's not a Skywalker (or a Kenobi/Solo/Windu/whatever).

Watching TFA after the revelation in Last Jedi, I'm more and more drawn to the moment between Maz and Rey when Maz tells her:

"Dear child, I see your eyes - you already know the truth. Whomever you are waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back"

This not only implies that the parents are gone and irrelevant, but also that Rey knows it deep down too. This is exactly how it plays out with Kylo. We'll see if JJ bolts on some more story, but I'm over it personally.

Watching TFA after the revelation in Last Jedi, I'm more and more drawn to the moment between Maz and Rey when Maz tells her:

"Dear child, I see your eyes - you already know the truth. Whomever you are waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back"

This not only implies that the parents are gone and irrelevant, but also that Rey knows it deep down too. This is exactly how it plays out with Kylo. We'll see if JJ bolts on some more story, but I'm over it personally.

"Whomever you are waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back".

Interestingly, no explicit mention of family or a family member of any type in that... at least that's one way to interpret.

Could Rey be the reincarnation of Anakin? That would get rid of all the family relation problems that would need to be explained in IX. Anakin's mother was a nobody as well. And her being concieved by the force would explain her power as well.
I would assume her being force sensitive might have freightened her parents to the point they wanted to get rid of her.

Sources have been pretty tight lipped about Matt Smith but I have also heard that the rumors he’s a Knight of Ren are incorrect. Sources also do not believe they are female or all of them are female. However, that rumor, if rooted in truth may have sprang forth because some stunt performers for the Knights of Ren were women. They also say that the threat in the film is not The Knights of Ren. So the idea they come from The Beyond and are the threat was not a good guess. There is still a threat from The Beyond, however. We can check them off the list.

Star Wars: Episode IX wraps and we have some clarification on various rumors!

I really hope it's not the Chiss. As much as I want them in the films I dont want them to be presented as some evil empire.

Could be the Grysks, if they wanted to tap into the new Thrawn novels. Though I’m still of the opinion that it will be a reborn Snoke.

Gotta take it all with a grain of salt, but everything is sounding pretty exciting!

I also think they are absolutely doing the right thing holding off on the trailer and title until Celebration. The constant speculation about the title/trailer and when it will drop shows that there is indeed a palpable appetite for and curiosity about this movie. The hype feels primed to explode with one great trailer.

I thought Force Awakens was absolutely amazing and i already feel like this is gonna top that, and force awakens is my 3rd fave star wars film. I feel we are in for something truly spectacular in every sense of the word. My hype for this film is already through the roof.

I'd go as far to say that theres a chance this could stand toe to toe with Empire if done right.

If those rumors turn out to be true, Abrams is taking a much bigger swing with this than he did with VII, maybe bigger than he's ever done in his directorial career. It won't be a repackaged Return of the Jedi.

Not sure how I feel about any of these rumors. I can't take any of them at face value because the interpretations could be massively off, just like Achto fight with Knights of Ren which was reported by MSW.

If those rumors turn out to be true, Abrams is taking a much bigger swing with this than he did with VII, maybe bigger than he's ever done in his directorial career. It won't be a repackaged Return of the Jedi.

True. I vaguely recall him saying something along the lines of him having a responsibility to be bold with this one, back when he was announced.

Does that ring any bells with anyone else?

Pretty damn curious about the Macguffin. Definitely sounds like an object/artifact of sorts somehow, rather than a person. Getting lots of Indiana Jones vibes from this one, between the costuming and that western-looking planet/inhabitants and the MacGuffin stuff.

Interesting about the rumor saying Russell & Smith aren't Knights Of Ren too, and that the Knights aren't the threat from beyond. Curious. I do feel we need the Knights unmasked and with actual characterization this time around, if they're to be included. Guess that's not to say they can't just be no-namer actors though.

Russell as a bounty hunter feels sort of random though, if true, not sure how they'd make that work too well in what's supposedly a big epic all-out-war plot.

There's two artifacts that look like they could be good contenders.

Luke's compass, a Jedi relic which he aquired frome Palpatine's observatory. What was Palpatine using it for? Will it be important for finding something in the unknown regions in Episode 9?

Han's dice, a pair of golden cubes with strange symbols that are notable for bringing good luck and for being the favorite play thing of Kylo Ren as a child. Perhaps they are ancient relics that are connected to the dark side?

Russell as a bounty hunter feels sort of random though, if true, not sure how they'd make that work too well in what's supposedly a big epic all-out-war plot.

I’m thinking Russel was hired by someone to hunt down the MacGuffin. Possibly Hux, who is trying to get to it before Kylo, who seems to be on the hunt for it himself. In either case, it’ll be cool to see a new bounty hunter.

There’s a pic going around on Reddit that someone took, that could be Luke’s X-Wing, confirming at least that part of what Jason’s heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"